Using dishwasher cleaning solutions

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Well I have been chewing on this for a while and now my lime buildup in my dishwasher is getting to the point I need to address it with the commercial dishwasher lime and cleaning agents they have on the market. In the past I have used a product called Finish Jet Dry dishwasher cleaner.

Frankly I am concerned with using the dishwasher normally (I don't use the highest setting anymore) but am very concerned with using a "get rid of your lime buildup clean your dishwasher" solutions because of my parrots.

The downstairs is one huge open space consisting of my entry way, living room, dining room and kitchen. The cages are against the common wall in my dining room with my kitchen several feet away all open. This is why I never use Teflon cookware and insist the George Foremen never to be used without supervision. The appliance is NEVER used unattended.

I want to know if it is safe to use the dishwasher cleaner. I need to do something because my hard water is creating lime buildup in my dishwasher and down the road this will ruin it.

Does anyone use these products? Do they "give off a gas"? I am scared to use it which is why I have not lately.

Here is a picture I can find of my downstairs that I could find in my Valentino folder. Please ignore the open cupboard and all the crap on the counter. I was have OCD and was rearranging, cleaning when Valentino wanted to fly to me. LOL. To the left in the picture is where the cages are. You can see a bit of the wall covering and this is before I brought Julio's cage out of storage. Before Julio came to join our family. His cage is right up next to the counter against the wall now where Valentino's is more near the sliding glass doors. The dishwasher is below my raised hand left hand (your view) of the sink in this pic. I am standing right in front of the sink.

100_2224_zpsaa4b2a6e.jpg

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Yep, I'd chalk it off to being overly concerned & wash away.....I have 3 cages maybe 10 feet from the dishwasher and my guys have never voiced a complaint.....

i see you do not have a through the roof vent hood...yours vents back into the room through the back of your microwave.....if it vented outside, you could quell your concerns by turning the vent on when using the dishwasher....

If your bathroom has a vent fan, you could accomplish the same thing by running it when dishwashing.....I'm guessing that you are facing the general direction of the bathroom & if that's the case, that vent fan would draw any fumes towards it...even if the bathroom were in use with the door closed.....

You should be good.....never really thought about it before, but several years ago I had cages about as near as yours to the dishwasher & those cages were there for some 8 years.....I've never had any birds (knowingly) with any respiratory problems.....

Good luck.....

OP
noblemacaw

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Thank a lot for your input. The dishwasher is being used now for dishes and it makes this weird sound that Valentino makes while begging. Too funny but when the dishwasher makes the sound Valentino "answers it" LOL.

I am concerned because of the high temperature it needs for the product to work. I shall run the lower bathroom fan while using it. Good idea..

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I have to agree with Weco. Turning the fan on and even moving your birds father away from the area should help make things safer. I understand how you feel I do not cook with Teflon anymore, do not use plug in fresheners, do not use pine sol on the kitchen floor and am very careful when cleaning with chemicals.

OP
noblemacaw

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Oh I found an EXCELLENT all purpose cleaner that is natural and harmless for my parrots. I mix it with hot water to use on the floors. The product it called "The Amazing Whip It!" for reals. I die laughing when I recommend it because of the name but it is made from all natural ingredients and is safe. Before I used only hot water on the floors and after a while that is not enough and I have to scrub. Now I don't have to with this product. This stuff is Eucalyptus infused. Makes me wonder if my parrots are going to start acting like Koala's. LMAO.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I too use the same dish washer cleaner, the jet dry stuff....I haven't had any ill effects with my birds what so ever....

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
Well I have been chewing on this for a while and now my lime buildup in my dishwasher is getting to the point I need to address it with the com

Been there, done that. Did the research.

First of all, I cleaned it out using oxalic acid, which I happened to have on hand from wood-working projects. (I turned on the "smart temp" feature which basically heats the water in the dishwasher and won't continue the cycle until it's hot enough. It takes a long time. The hot water and longer time aids the de-liming process)

Meanwhile, my wife picked up some product whose instructions said to use a great deal (fill up the cups, maybe even overflow!) and I started with some reasonable amount, like a tablespoon, for one load added to the second cup. Then I reduced the amount until I saw spots on the glasses again. I don't need much to keep it free of mineral deposits, once the dishwasher is flushed buildup.

Looking at the product, the ingredient was Citric Acid. So I bought a small tub at the Chemistry Store. I refill my own small jar of "lemon acid" from the bulk container. The only issue using pure ingredient rather than finished product is the clumping. So I only keep a small jar under the sink, with the right size spoon in it.

Very cheap to use, and lets me return to the "plain" Cascade rather than any power-ball stuff.

When I started seeing spots, I checked the water reports for my area, to see if anything changed. I also learned about the way lime works and is affected by pH as well as concentration and other variables. I took a watchglass with as much tapwater as would stay on, and let it evaporate on the windowsill. I could see the white crust remaining, so that is the water hardness! Then I saw how easy it was to rinse off (or not). I could tell you more...

Anyway, buy some Citric Acid.
Use whatever acid for cleaning it out, and run again to rinse as the oxy is not for eating. Use a lot of Citric Acid with the loads to continue to get rid of any buildup in the system, and after a while reduce to as little as you need. Like, a quarter-teaspoon, to prevent future build up and keep spots off your glass.

Also, use a solution in a basin to rinse your fine stemware. Even if spots were not visible, it looks cleaner anyway!

Last edited:

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
am very concerned with using a "get rid of your lime buildup clean your dishwasher" solutions because of my parrots.

Use the Citric Acid to clean. It is safe. You can put it on your food to make it sour, and is used for that purpose in candy and (in smaller amounts) in lots of stuff. Some people even eat it to help prevent colds. It is present in lemons, oranges, etc. as is in fact an essential nutrient. Humans can't produce it so it must be eaten, or you get nasty sick.

A jar of that, bought in bulk, is much cheaper than using vinegar for many household purposes, and substitutes nicely.

--John

P.S. besides cost, another benefit of making your own stuff is that you know exactly what's in it! No perfumes or anti-clumping agents or whatever that might affect birds differently than humans/dogs and they don't mention that on the label. :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts