UV Lighting - A Video

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I thought this was very good except the person talks very fast.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H46owcabAdM&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Birds and Ultra Violet Light (www.MercolaHealthyPets.com)[/ame]#!

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Thanks Tannie Di and I dont think she was talking that fast.;)

I learned a new word as well - panchromatic eye!

So come on guys, give your birds some unfiltered sunlight or a uv light.:D

Remember that the light needs to be replaced every 6 months and dont buy the spiral lights they can cause eye infection.

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
OMG that lady should become a commentator for the horses or something.......
I agree with SB, what a fast speaker...... she did slow down a bit later on though
Very interesting to learn all about UV Lighting
Thanks for sharing

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Very informative video. Whew! She is fast! Linky, your comment about spiral lights, do you also mean avian specific spiral lights?

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Remember guys, though our hearts are in the right place, UV lamps are not necessary if you are feeding a good diet rich in Vitamin D and cholecalciferol (which anyone who feeds quality pellets already does). Full spectrum lighting is obviously good for a parrot's (and ours too!) emotional health, and yes, the lamps do need to be changed out pretty frequently. A full-spectrum aquarium lamp will be okay in a pinch, but the window is better. Sunlight, even filtered through a window is best.

Please don't fall prey to the pet industry creating yet another niche market they can charge premium $$$ for. They really do take advantage of our willingness to do almost anything for our fids.

OP
Spiritbird

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Norf: I am following what my avain vet suggested on lighting and not the industry. Rosie's calcium level was excellent a month ago when she had her annual exam. The vet said anything above 7 was acceptable but the range is 7 - 10 and Rosie was 9.5 which she stated was very good for a grey.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Rosie is obviously the beneficiary of awesome care and love. And if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I also know you feed her only the best. Her calcium would probably be fantastic even without the UV lighting. However, the UV lighting doesn't hurt anything (well, other than your curtains, furniture coverings, and human retinas :p). Still, there is something to be said for a safety margin. You know me...over-analytical to the core.

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
I was wondering if UV lighting would help a bird to gain weight [from the warmth]? My bird eats and eats but doesn't gain weight. No matter how much she eats she is in the 120's when she should be in the 130-140 range. I was wondering if UV lighting would help her metabolism a bit?

OP
Spiritbird

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Have you had this bird evaluated by an avan vet? I do not know if the lighting would have any effect of a bird's weight.

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
The day after I got her I took her into an avian vet. We have been working on upping her weight and they suggested a bunch of different methods. After observing her they said that usually Hahn's macaws are very, very active so now she has a 1 hour naptime during the day to calm her down. We are shooting to get her back into the high 130's with weekly weigh ins at the vet. The avian vet in our area is amazing. I call them all the time regarding her weight. She has been blood tested and all came back fine. The Dr was very happy with all of her numbers so I know she is healthy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts