UVA-UVB necessary and explained

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
UVA:

Humans have 3 cones in our retina and birds, reptiles and amphibians has four. This fourth cone is sensitive to emissions in the UVA and is the “primary colour” that makes up the birds entire range of visible light. Birds need UVA for the following:
• Sex recognition. UV reflection of the plumage can differentiate sexes.
• Food selection. Ripeness of foods assessed from their UV reflection.
• Food intake.
• Comforting behaviour.

The lack of UVA in light contributes to psychological problems and associated behaviours, such a feather plucking.

UVB:

UVB regulate and synthesize Vitamin D3 which allows parrots to absorb the calcium they need from their diet necessary to maintain healthy bones and keep their beak in good shape. It also helps with the growth of healthy feathers as well as regulating molting and the reproductive cycle in parrots.

When birds preen their feathers they spread oil over them from their Uropygial gland situated at the base of their tail. This oil undergoes a chemical reaction when it is met with the UVA and UVB rays of sunlight. The reaction changes the oil in to vitamin D3. When the bird preens again, they ingest the vitamin D3 from their feathers. Vitamin D3 is necessary for animals, and humans, to be able to extract calcium from their diet through their digestive tract.

UVB is especially important for African Greys because they need lots of calcium otherwise they develop hypocalcemia - brittle bones.

Here is a very extensive study: http://reptileuvinfo.com/docs/cal-met2.pdf

Mega-ray and Zoomed makes UV lights for parrots. All UV lights emits UVA but only emits UVB if it is written on the box, just something to look out for. Dont buy the spiral kind, it causes eye infections in reptiles and I am sure that it has not been tested with parrots yet, rather safe than sorry. The light must be replaced every 6 months and it is crucial that it hangs the correct distance from the cage.

The way that I figure things out is, where does your parrot come from? If he comes from a place where there is lots of sunlight then he will need a UV light or direct sunlight for optimum health.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Thank you Linky for this very important educational post. There are some members that do not think UV lighting is necessary and not safe for the bird's eyes. I am not one of them.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I need to purchase one for Mishka, we discussed it when I lasted visited you Linky. Which is the best one to purchase and where?

Mwah Thanks my friend

Last edited:

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
my question is same as antionette's i have looked into arcadia, they do them for northern parrots the place i order my harrisons parrot food from, essencially what i want is a bulb i can just put into my exsisting light fittings, i dont think my nut will spend all day staring at the light, but it has occured to me that as we live in the UK and her pluck pattern is over winter, this might help? i use sun beds over winter not enough to tan, but i do suffer from SAD, so it'll benifit me as well lol

will look through net an thank you wildheart

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
have trolled through net an most companies offer what they call full spectrum light fittings, but on closer inspection they do not emitt uva uvb rays, the only company i have come across is arcadia, but they seem to have limited light selection, so i thought i'd look through reptile lighting and they seem to have more of a selection?? and also less costly?? will continue to cross referance

as ideally i want a bulb that i can fit into my light fitting's, new parrot light including fittings is about £60/£100 depending if i want tube or bulb, but a reptile basking bulb is about £10, but since these bulbs are designed for tanks etc and not open spaces, that £10 could be a waste of money as the light might be of no effect, or not strong enough??

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I use uvb lights in my iguana room and it is an open space not a tank. The only thing is that the uvb are only emitted up to a certain distance so it wont help if you put the light in the middle of a room. There are many different types so first do research about your parrot and what strength he needs. If you cant find any info, because it is still so new, then always go for the lowest range 5.0 the same as what are used for chameleons. Also hang it above the cage and not on the side.

I searched for the lights for you and found this very helpful website:

http://files.meetup.com/1460986/UVLighting.pdf

They recommend these lights:

ZooMed Reptisun 5.0 linear tube
Hagen ExoTerra Reptiglo 5.0 linear tube
Arcadia Bird Lamp linear tube
Duro-Test Vita-Lite linear tube

Megaray are known as the best out there and you can order from their website. The nice thing about the megaray is that it is also used as a basking light. Sorry Ant - no megaray here in SA.:(

Mega-Ray Low UV -EB 60 watt Flood UVB Lamp Kit - ReptileUV

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I find this one very interesting. I recently purchased a glass aviary and placed a T-5 light fixture (for saltwater fish tanks) on top of it because I had that available and was only using it temporary but after using it my birds have been so happy. The Cockatiels started mating process and my Cockatoo acted happier then ever. She used to pluck her crown. New ones grew out not long after she moved in this new cage and she's leaving them alone. She's more active and doing bunch of funny tricks I never see her do before. I iused to place her cage by the window where she gets some natural sun light. But she seem to light the T-5 lighting. More research is needed!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
its really heart breaking when your bird looks content on every level, like my nut does, but still chews her feathers :(
she has not gone bald, but getting downy and very moth eaten :(

and as this happened over winter last yr as well, i thought this uva post to be an excellent post and could be the real reason for her chewing her feathers?? and as soon as i can get a light and fixtures for her i'm off to the nearest net supplier! i am limited to pets at home, where i live an they seem to do things for dogs cats fish an reptiles though not lighting for reptiles??

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Try checking out mmlights.com they offer full spectrum lighting. I may purchase a few to try.

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
I just purchased Chia a full spectrum light from petland. It was very expensive though. Around 80$ for the lamp and around 50$ for the actual light.(Maybe this isn't expensive and I am just cheap haha) Although it was expensive (to me)I am sure I got my moneys worth after reading all the benefits.

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
They are expensive and only lasts for 6 months, but that is because there are so much that goes into it. I only use it during winter and safe it in the summer when all my kids are outside getting direct sunlight. This way the light lasts me 2 years because we only have about 3 months of real cold days.

You can contact Zoomed and Megaray and ask them which light will be suitable for your bird and where to find it. Please dont ask the pet shop employees, they will sell you the most expensive and wont give a damn whether it is the right light or not.

Zoo Med Laboratories | #1 Reptile Products Worldwide -- Welcome to Zoo Med

Welcome To ReptileUV - Mega-Ray® UVB lamps for reptile lighting worldwide

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol beilana slightly cheaper then UK prices, but i have seen some uv light bulbs for reptile tanks and there around £10, so i want to see one and see if it will go into an exsisting light fixtures i have?

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
Try checking out mmlights.com they offer full spectrum lighting. I may purchase a few to try.

you need to check the light bulb gives off UV mikey, as i've also looked into full spectrum light bulbs for the home, and they don't give off any UV lights, unless you get what's called a light box, for SAD sufferers :11:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots

you need to check the light bulb gives off UV mikey, as i've also looked into full spectrum light bulbs for the home, and they don't give off any UV lights, unless you get what's called a light box, for SAD sufferers :11:

My T-5's give off UV, that's probably why my birds like it....I just dunno if you can actually use aquarium lighting for birds, some of those T-5's are pretty strong, I use them for my saltwater reef tanks. I won't use MH's cause those are really strong, I sold it anyways....Those are like sun light...They would probably cook the birds being at 175w a piece and my other ones are 250w each....

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
The aquarium lightning are generally very strong because it has to work through the water? I will be very scared to use that because it is made in a complete different way. Most of them has UVC which is the wavelength used for Ultraviolet Sterilizers which kill harmful bacteria. This wavelength is very dangerous to all animals.

Aquarium Lighting information

I honestly dont think you should use anything higher than 5.0 UVB.

Most full spectrum lights only emits UVA and not UVB, it is very misleading and a waist of money because you then have to buy two lights.

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I finally found it:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F97FNU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000KHBSZE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0NHKX3RR89E67P6566B5]Amazon.com: Zoo Med AvianSun Deluxe Floor Lamp: Home Improvement[/ame]

AvianSun? Deluxe Floor Lamp

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
The aquarium lightning are generally very strong because it has to work through the water? I will be very scared to use that because it is made in a complete different way. Most of them has UVC which is the wavelength used for Ultraviolet Sterilizers which kill harmful bacteria. This wavelength is very dangerous to all animals.

Aquarium Lighting information

I honestly dont think you should use anything higher than 5.0 UVB.

Most full spectrum lights only emits UVA and not UVB, it is very misleading and a waist of money because you then have to buy two lights.

I use the weaker T-5 lighting... there's different levels of aquarium lighting. The ones im using are lower wattage and not as strong like some T-5 can be.

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Hey just wondering, How long per day should the light be on? 12 hours??? also does other light being on affect its ability to work?

Most Reactions