Valentino video and pic

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Well this weekend was much more productive with getting stuff done around the house. This morning when I fed Valentino I had Lupe video him getting his fresh salad. He loves his fresh food and when I first put the dish in the cage he likes to attack it. It's kind of funny to watch him attack the Spinach leaves.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OlYKccgjqk&feature=youtu.be]Valentino attacking his food - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a pic of a close up of Valentino. He finally got his first red front feather so we were kind of proud. LOL. I have also noticed these little red bumps around his eyes which remind me of very hard pimples. I tried to pick one off put they are very hard. Is this normal for a RFM? Do these get these face blemishes? I remember Diego my Illiger's macaw use to get the little red blemishes on his naked face patches but that was after he became sexually mature. I called them macaw zits. LOL Valentino is just over 6 month old and way to young for mature changes I think.

Valentinoredfeather_zps7f5a1387.jpg

Please let me know what you think. Thanks..

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
He's adorable!!!

I've heard of B&G's getting acne, but hadn't heard of RFM's. Then again, B&Gs are more common within captivity.

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Awww, that was really cute.:) Valentino really loves his greens. It was sweet how he didn't toss the leaves out of his way, he just dug around them.;)

My flock would have tossed all of it out to get whatever they thought was more interesting in the bottom of the bowl.:eek: They don't think about once it is on the cage floor it they can't go back & eat it later. :32:

I have never owned a RFM, so I can't help you on the bumps. Hopefully it is a normal occurrence for Valentino.

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
LOVED the video of Valentino going to town on his spinach. TOO funny!!! Both my Macs would have thrown it right out, like De' Andreas's flock, lol.

I don't know anything about the "pimple" thingies, I'm sorry.

Valentino sure is a beauty!!! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I love the video of him eating, he loves his food so much. And he totally lunges in when you first give him be food LOL. If I tried giving Rosie a salad like that she would very carefully pick up each item and drop it on the floor while staining at me XD I still give her salad, but she definitely likes her chop mix more lol

I don't know about the small bumps. Do you take him out in the sun a lot? A lot of species get dark eye rings. Galah's get red/pink, and I've seen sun conures with blackish eye rings.

OP
noblemacaw

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Valentino is such a funny parrot at times. He always brings a smile on my face even when he is naughty. His enthusiasm for getting his fresh food cracks me up. I am always laughing after I put the food in his cage and he goes after it. It probably does not help that I egg him on. "Want your salad? Ooooo it looks really good this morning. Look at it all filled with goodness"...ect...ect. This parrot brings me such joy.

I am glad everyone enjoyed the video. He is so funny when I first put the food in the cage and I love his vocalizations. At least he appreciates the food I make for him. LOL.

Thanks Phobie for your kind comments about Valentino. His coloring is so different than a normal RFM with all the orange in him. The green is much lighter than his sister's were and I do wonder what colors are going to come out after his moult. He has started moulting chest and head feathers and will soon enter the hard moult. I wonder what color surprises he will reveal after his first moult.

1023four_zps4437ce5a.jpg

Here is a pic of Valentino with one of his sister's while still at the Breeder's home. She is the one leaning into him. So cute. Notice the color difference between them? Valentino always had more orange with lighter green feathering than his sisters. I wonder what his moult will bring.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
Valentino is a pretty bird and seems like a nice smart bird. I like how he does not toss out the greens. I do not know anything about bumps maybe your vet could give you a answer. I do not know when Macaws molt but I imagine there might be some appearance changes by the time he is one years old.

Most Reactions

Latest posts