Value of sprouts

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
I'm going to ask an odd question... I like asking those.

Does a sprout stop being what it was and just simply become a sprout? So.. is a radish sprout a vegetable or a green? Sunflower... seed or green? Oats.. grain or green?

Is there a particular selling feature with sprouts? Are they best mixed with chop or on their own? (Particularly when introducing.)

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks in advance

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I mix sprouts in with my bird's chop every morning. Sprouts have lots of good nutrition!

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
As for what sprouts are: my brother in law used to grow them and they are commonly referred to as micro greens 🙂.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
“Sprout” has two clear definitions:

a seed mid-germination.

Then that transfers to the initial young plant itself, the cotyledons.

so are you focused on the seed - which remains a seed until the stored fuel is spent and the plant begins photosynthesizing -

or are you focusing on the plantlet, which you might stop calling a sprout after it forms its first true leaves?

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I think the "selling feature" is that sprouts turn seeds (high in fat) into something healthy. Bumble loves them. I usually mix them into her chop, although sometimes I put them by themselves in her snack bowl during evening play time.

I separately grow microgreens for her (and myself). These are more like after sprouts but before plant if that makes sense?

OP
GambotheGreyt

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
Where do y’all purchase your sprouts? I have not had success through Chewy.
They are DIY 😁. There are several threads. But in short, take an assortment of seeds, soak overnight (in a strainer sitting in water). Strain in the morning. Rinse every few hours. And watch them grow. It's slightly more complicated, but that's the basic idea.

Newbe

Feb 7, 2024
Parrots
Two Green Cheek Conures, female and male
I've never used sprouts but waiting on getting a kit with the seeds any day now. Do you feed the seeds with the sprouts or just the sprouts. My guess in both at once.

Most Reactions

Latest posts