Variations of Wing Clipping

aufde

Apr 27, 2011
My Yoshi is a GCC and has beautiful blue flight feathers, but I want to keep him clipped because he's not quite used to the house and I think he'll get spooked easily.

Anyways, that's beside the point, this isn't another to clip or not to clip thread. I want to know if there are any variations of clipping that would keep him from flying, but I can still see his nice blue flight feathers.

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
The breeder I got my Guapo from left the first flight feather on when she clipped him - for show and said it helps with balance so I guess that could be an option? I didn't stick with it though, was a little worried that it'd do more harm than good if it got caught on something but yeah, wanted to give you some form of reply! =D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
By leaving a few of the primary flight feathers will give you that option yes. BUT depending how it is cut and how many feathers was cut, they can still be able to take off flying! It's easier to just clip off the Primary feathers period to prevent them from flying.

OP
aufde

aufde

Apr 27, 2011
He has one coming in on each side and still can't fly, but I really like the color. But if I have to cut them to keep him safe, I guess it's worth it.

Anybody seen any other variations?

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Like akraya said, you can do what's called a show clip. clip his wings as normal but leave the first(outermost) flight feather intact. When he is sitting it will look as if he isn't clipped. I just started doing my baby clips this way on the budgies. I take 2-3 feathers off, leaving the outermost one. It gets them used to being clipped but it really seems to help them retain their balance, and you can still see what colors their flight feathers are, which is nice.

Just wanted to add, you will need to take off more than 2-3 feathers, I know for us the baby clip only works for a couple weeks before I have to take another feather or two off. And adult bird that is already a strong flyer will most likely fly pretty well with that light of a clip, especially if you leave that outer flight intact.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
my vet left the first feather (show clip) the first time i took remington in for a clip, I didnt like it, so now we clip the first 5-6, but that first flight feather is ALWAYS the first to grow back!

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
When I brought Cody home he had Show Clip because I wanted him to be able to get around but still be limited. Anyway, within a week, after gaining strength and courage Cody would work his way to the top of my bird case but when he flew into the bathroom mirror I decided to clip off the beautiful blue feathers. I could not risk his safety any longer!

amysaviary

Dec 16, 2011
Chambersburg PA
Parrots
African Grey-Kenya
Blue and Gold- Baby
Jenday Conure- Izzy
Hahns Macaw- Derby
Cockatiel- Lemon
Senegal-Dylan

I breed, Sun, Green Cheek, Black Capped and Crimson Bellied Conures. Also IRN's
It really only takes 1 primary flight feather on each side for ur bird to get lift which leads to danger if u ask me! Some birds r fine with it but I don't take the risk!

Most Reactions

Latest posts