sun and gcc together?

Riojewel

Jun 29, 2012
Pittsburgh
Parrots
Rio, sun conure and Jewel, yellow sided green cheek, Greyson CAG
I have a 13 week old sun and am getting a 9 week old yellow sided gcc, is it possible to cage together? They are both from the same breeder and have socialized before.

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
Others with more experience will chime in, but I think it would be best if you had two separate cages.

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
I personally would house them in separate cages . They may get along now but as they get older they may not, and if they were to get in a fight while you were not home the Sun could really hurt the GCC ...could even kill it .

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I would not house them together. There is a substantial size difference between a sun and a green cheek, the sun could do serious damage to the green cheek and the green cheek can do damage to the sun.
Plus if they were both males then you would have the territorial aspect when they reach maturity, then they probably won't want to share a cage. And if one was a female you might end up with them breeding which would be hybridization which is frowned on.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
I personally would not because the Sun could do damage to the green cheek. Green cheeks are very aggressive and territorial, and are always on the attack...LOL............one bite from the sun out of defense could be fatal to the green cheek. They might be able to play together during free time in the house but not caged together.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
No. Playing together, such as sharing a playstand, is fine. But like every child should have their own bed, every bird should have their own cage. Cages are their "safety" zones. I would never house 2 dogs in the same crate; it's their safe place. It's the place they can go if they need to chill out, calm down, sleep or if for some reason they need a "time out". Conure's also have BIG personalities and it's quite common for there to be spats. I'd hate to see you lose one or have one severely injured as a result of one of those.

Most Reactions