Very human like behaviour

Mama2Elvis

Sep 22, 2007
Parrots
Yellow Crowned Amazon~Elvis
My amazon Elvis is so funny. When you offer him something that he doesn't want, be it a toy or food, he will actually shake his head no!! Is that a normal behavior? He knows what he wants and what he doesn't want. It doesn't matter if you offer him that same thing a half hour later, he still says NO with a quick shake of his head back and forth. It's the funniest thing. I'm just waiting for him to say No thanks lol along with it!

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
My amazon Elvis is so funny. When you offer him something that he doesn't want, be it a toy or food, he will actually shake his head no!! Is that a normal behavior? He knows what he wants and what he doesn't want. It doesn't matter if you offer him that same thing a half hour later, he still says NO with a quick shake of his head back and forth. It's the funniest thing. I'm just waiting for him to say No thanks lol along with it!

Very normal! And it's amazing when parrots adapt to 'human' language. You have a very smart fid.

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
Try and get used to being amazed by your bird. Spoken language or body language, it's just incredible the way they learn to communicate with us. I wonder sometimes if my birds think I'm really stupid because it took me so long to understand what they have been trying to tell me.
Tyler has a certain whistle he does when he wants to say 'yes' and he says 'no' when he wants to say no. I guess it must sound ridiculous to some people to hear us arguing..
Heres a typical dinnertime fight:

me: Tyler, did you eat your dinner?
tyler: *whistle* (yes)
me: You threw it on the floor!
tyler: no
me: Yes!
tyler: I don't like it
me: You like it, it's yummy yummy!
tyler: No yum
me: yes yum!
tyler: PFFTTT (raspberries)
me: Thats not very nice, Tyler.
tyler: PFFTTT PFFTTT
me: PFFTTTTT
tyler: Tyler good tyler?
me: *sigh* yes tyler is a good tyler..
tyler: PFFTTTTT
At this point I usually realize I'm fighting a losing battle and just leave the room.

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I am looking forward to having chats like that, but I don't think I can expect that kind of response from a corella.

OP
Mama2Elvis

Mama2Elvis

Sep 22, 2007
Parrots
Yellow Crowned Amazon~Elvis
haha silly birds!!! Does anyone elses birds tend to be more talkative and active in the evening hours? Elvis is fairly chill all day long, minds his business but when the evening hits, kids are in bed and it's our chill time, he wants to chat up a storm lol! He's pratctically saying "give me attention!" when in reality he's had undivided attention all day already lol. He's a riot.

Tyler sounds like a hoot!!! What's a normal amount of time for a parrot to be "used" to his new surroundings and start using his full vocab? Elvis is on his way, but he has quite the repetoire.

Most Reactions