Very Long Night

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Oy, where do I even begin....

Yesterday I had made a big crock pot of veggie chili and invited a few friends over for dinner and a bonfire. Everything went so well until we went out to the fire, we were all sitting around the fire playing some hand drums when our neighbors(not super close to us but apparently close enough) lit off some fireworks, it scared our dog and he took off running and tried to get back into the house to hide. Unfortunately his method of entering the house was through a plate glass window :( The one side of our house has a wall of all windows facing the woods, it's a bedroom but it kind of has a greenhouse look to it. It is plate glass on the outside, about a 4 inch gap, and then plexiglass on the inside. So of course, he broke through the plate glass and hit the plexiglass and had to back up through the broken window.

We quickly rushed him into the house and realized he was limping, and then we saw the blood. It was everywhere! And of course he wouldn't stand still so he's hobbling all around the house with blood seemingly coming out of both of his front legs. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it looked like there was a massacre in our house lastnight. At first it just looked like a couple superficial cuts but I put him in the tub so I could see where he was actually cut and what was just smeared blood. I got him in the tub and started hosing off his legs and then we saw it. On the back of his ankle was a cut about and inch wide by about and inch deep, just laid open :11::( I immediately looked at my fiance and just said, "we need to go to the vet, now!". I called up the emergency vet and we were on our way, it took about 25 minutes to get there.

We arrived at about 10:30pm and they immediately took him back for triage. They didn't really ask me any questions, I had told them over the phone that he tried to jump through a window but that was it. They then proceeded to let us sit in the waiting room for 3 hours without so much as telling us if he was okay or not :mad:

After about 3 hours they FINALLY took us back to the exam room where we sat, alone, for another hour and a half, two hours before the receptionist finally came back to give us an estimate for treatment, yep, that's right, they let him sit back there in a crate for at least four and half hours before they even started to treat him! Here we got the wonderful news that his leg needed to be sutured and stapled and the bill was going to be about $700, all due before we could take him home. :52:

I'm not going to lie, I just broke down and started bawling. I was just so upset that he was hurt, upset that they had just left him back there untreated and upset that we now face a $700 vet bill on the same day our rent and bills are due. When she realized how upset I was she said, "let me go talk to the doctor and see if we can't get some things taken off". That upset me too, I didn't want him to not get things he needs because of a lack of money, I was so afraid they were going to cut out things like pain meds or something and I knew he was in a lot of pain. It just made me so angry, coming up with the money wasn't impossible, it just made me mad that it was 3am on a saturday night and they expected me to have $700 in my pocket. They wouldn't let me make any kind of payment arrangements or anything, it was pretty much, give us a deposit and then give us the rest or you can't take your dog home. But anyway, she went back and talked to the vet and they decided to remove one bandage and try to do his stitches with on suture pack, which made the price go down to about $570. I was greatful that they lowered it but this kind of irritated me more. Why in the world are they charging me $130 for one bandage and a suture pack?! I can buy both for about $10. Just goes to show the crazy prices these Emergency vets charge.

We ended up putting down a deposit and having to go home so we could get more money and they called us to pick him up around 5:30am. When we picked him up he was so groggy from the sedation that he couldn't walk straight, his eyes were all glazed over and out of focus and his tongue was swollen and hanging out of his mouth as it dripped drool. I was glad to be taking him home but I kind of questioned the fact that they didn't seem to keep him for any amount of time to make sure he recovered okay from the anesthesia. I ended up putting him in bed and I stayed up and watched his breathing for about 2 hours before I finally fell asleep. I was so afraid he was going to choke on his tongue or aspirate or something, ugh, it was all just so upsetting.

Around 11am he woke up and and wouldn't stop crying, I could tell his leg was really hurting him so I went and got him all of his medications, 100mg of tramadol 2x a day for pain, rhimadyl twice a day for swelling and 2 cephalexin twice a day to prevent an infection. Poor dog had to take 5 pills in one shot! I was also surprised at the dosages. I take tramadol for back pain and one 50mg pill takes my pain away in about 15 minutes, the dog weighs 30 pounds less than me and they have him on 100mg twice a day. It just seems like a lot.

They ended up having to put sutures in internally and then staples to close up the outside so we have to go back in 10-14 days to have the staples removed. I'm a bit nervous, they have it bandaged and told me to take it off tonight but he won't let me touch it. He growls if you even look at his leg so I'm not sure how we are going to get this thing off of him. He weighs 102 pounds so restraining him isn't the easiest thing in the world either.

*Sigh, I'm sorry for the long post, I just needed to vent, all of this has just been so ridiculous. I'm upset that he is hurt and completely freaking out about the sudden and unexpected costs, I've had about 5 hours of sleep in the last 3 days and the last time I ate was a tofurky sandwhich on friday. Oy... all I want is to be able to go a solid 6 months without ending up at the vet or hospital, is that asking so much? Or for them to atleast need to go during normal business hours. If we could have gone to my regular vet he wouldn't have been separated from us like that, he would have been treated right away and it probably would have been under $300. I'm sure they aren't all bad but this is the second ER vet I've been too and I've been completely unimpressed by both of them :mad:

If anyone has made it down this far(can't blame you if you didn't), here's some pics, the one was on the way home this morning...
IMG_20120701_055725.jpg

And I just took this one, Dahm is passed out and so is Nick, I'm not sure who's more exhausted at this point, him or us. The only reason I'm still awake is because of the baby birds, they eat every 4 hours and I'm not so sure I'd get up if I went to sleep now.
IMG_20120701_134200.jpg

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I'm so sorry for your traumatic night IW :(

Emergency Vets are the worst!! and dont these things always happen at night, so you have no choice! and this, they are well aware of, hence, charging what they feel like charging :( Its not right that they are allowed to do this!!

I hope he makes a speedy recovery :)

Jenlynn

Nov 19, 2011
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Sun Conure, and Blue Indian Ringneck
Wow, I'm so sorry that this happend to you! I know its so tough when things happen in the middle of the night and you have to go to an emergency vet. How horrible that they just let him sit like that without treatment and then charged you so much. If you regular vet is opened on Sundays, it might have been best to just wait til first thing in the AM because they didn't even treat it as an emergency and he sat there waiting, but how do you know what to do.

I used to panick and try to go to the emergency vet right away but my opinion has changed with that for most circumstances. If there's anyway to see my regular vet, I try to stick it out, especially for the birds. I just never got the same care from an emergency vet that you'd get from someone who knows you and your animal. ( I tend to panick and want to call the vet for everything though, even when I want to make a regular appointment I have to sit back and wait a day and I'm usually worried for nothing, God help my peditrician if/when I ever have kids haha)

With the amount of blood you saw, I'm sure you didn't have choice but you'd think that they would have treated him much faster or given you a discount since you had to wait so long. There are always situations where you have to go to the emergency vet, like this one. My complaint is why everyone seems to have such a poor experience with them yet they charge so much.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Aw I'm so sorry for your poor dog Icy. I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

It is ridiculous what emergency vets charge but they do it because they know it is your only option to do so at the time of your after hours vist.

Jenlynn

Nov 19, 2011
Parrots
For the bandage removal, can you borrow a muzzle? A dog in pain doesn't think clearly and I'd hate to see you end up bitten when you try to take the bandage off. Maybe you can find a way to make a homemade muzzle online?

When my dog Rum was getting her cancer treatments she always had to be muzzled. The vet called them "party hats" because muzzle just sounds mean. She wasn't even bothered by them. Once the scary stuff was done they came off and she was her kissy little self again.

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
I am really sorry your dog got hurt , even sorrier about the emergency vet experience....I had to take my little dog (17 lbs) in on a sunday afternoon for a snake bite . we were not sure if it was a copperhead or rattlesnake that got her so they ran all kinds of tests to see if she needed anti venom. Then they decided (after the tests of course) that the anti venom would be to hard on her so they gave her a Benadryl ... in all it was $550.00 for something I could have given her myself ...ugh!

I just can't believe how emergency vets take advantage of people who are desperate to get help for their pets....really , really sad.
I hope your dog feels better soon and you get some much needed rest.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Geez what a night!!! Sorry:(. Maybe with the pain meds, he will let you touch the bandage? When I have gone to the emergency vet, I followed with my regular vet.....maybe they can take the bandage off for you and just look to see that all is well and that he has indeed the right amount of meds for his weight and all???

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Thank you all for your replies. Unfortunately our vet is only open monday through friday. When I though they were just minor cuts I was thinking we'd just keep some triple antibiotic ointment on them then go to the vet on monday to have them thoroughly cleaned and get antibiotics but when I saw that big gash I knew there was no way it could wait until monday. I knew it hadn't hit an artery since it wasn't spurting blood but I was afraid he may have hit a tendon or a ligament.

It really made me mad because when we took him in they just took him back to the back, about two hours later another dog came in that ripped his nail clean out, the first thing they asked the family was if they wanted pain meds administered right away! I was so angry that they didn't even ask us, I'm hoping that they just went ahead and gave him some but I don't know since they never asked us first. I just hate to think that he was sitting back there in pain when they could have given him something.

I posted about this on my facebook page and had numerous people share their E-vet horror stories, all from the same vet. But unfortunately they are the only all hours vet in the county so I guess they think they can do and charge whatever they want.

We're going to try and hold him down while I quickly cut the bandage off, if that doesn't work we will have to go get a muzzle and try again. I'm hoping he lets us take it off. He's such a baby when he gets hurt, he gets really defensive over his ouchy spots. And if he even thinks you're doing something that's going to hurt he gets upset, the last time I put his frontline on my room mate had to hold him down while I put it on and he ended up peeing himself! All over a little topical flea treatment! I'm just not sure if a muzzle is really going to help, when the vet finally came in to talk to me I asked him how bad his cuts were and he told me he didn't know, that they had him muzzled but he was "trying to eat them through the muzzle" so they couldn't check him over until they anesthetized him. If the vets couldn't even do it when he was muzzled I really don't know how they expect me to get the bandages off. I guess if we really can't get them off we may have to take him back in and have them take them off. I REALLY don't want to have to do that though. Poor guy has been through so much already, I'd like to keep him home until he needs the staples removed.

It's also worrying me a bit, he's acting like he's afraid to go outside now. I think he is associating going outside with the scary fireworks and getting hurt. Two days ago if I even looked at his leash he would run to the door and wait to go out, now I have to put his leash on him and practically drag him to the door just to go outside. I'm hoping it's just because he's still a bit groggy from the sedation and meds and not something that is going to be a long term thing.

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
I am really sorry your dog got hurt , even sorrier about the emergency vet experience....I had to take my little dog (17 lbs) in on a sunday afternoon for a snake bite . we were not sure if it was a copperhead or rattlesnake that got her so they ran all kinds of tests to see if she needed anti venom. Then they decided (after the tests of course) that the anti venom would be to hard on her so they gave her a Benadryl ... in all it was $550.00 for something I could have given her myself ...ugh!

I just can't believe how emergency vets take advantage of people who are desperate to get help for their pets....really , really sad.

That's horrible! If they knew from the beginning they couldn't give her antivenom why were they doing the tests?!

My old neighbor had boston terriers, he once told me that one of them ate a package of razor blades so he called the vet, they told him he needed to rush the dog in for emergency surgery that would cost a couple thousand dollars. His response was that a bullet costs fifty cents and hung up. The vet ended up calling him back and told him to go to the store and buy a package of frozen spinach and feed it to the dog. He said that the spinach might wrap around the razor blades from the natural turning of the dogs stomach, and allow them to pass safely. So he went to the store, bought a two dollar package of spinach, gave it to his dog and he passed the razors without a problem. These vets were willing to put a small dog through an unnecessary and expensive surgery when they knew of an easy home remedy and it wasn't until he pretty much said he would just kill the dog that their consciences kicked in and they told him his other options. It just makes my blood boil, these people are supposed to be in it for the love of animals and it seems like all they are worried about is lining their pockets. It's just shameful.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Icy I am so sorry to hear of your horrible night and your poor dog. That is just insane how emergency vets charge. The fact that they would do it differently for less money confirms my feelings about vets, they are in the for the big bucks, run all the tests they can etc. We left a vet that we had gone to for years because no matter how minor something was your bill would always be $250 and up because they wouldn't do anything without bloodwork and tests. I understand that vets are becoming corporatized, bought out and they stay on but have no say in the matter. Pretty scary for the pocketbook.
I also met a man one day in our regular vet's office who had an experience like you. HIs dog came in like someone had slit his throat from ear to ear. Our vet is Mon thru Sat.....but that happened after hours on weekend. They did the same thing to him...he had to return home to get more money about 50 miles away and they wouldn't touch the poor dog until he brought the money. What happened to "Do no Harm"?
I am so sorry you had to go thru this. Did you get behind on your baby birds during the time you were away?

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
I can't believe they made the poor dog wait until the guy brought the money!

While we were there picking him up a construction working came knocking on the door, he said he found a dog that had been hit by a car :( We held the doors for him as he carried a little boston terrier in, he didn't look very good but he was still fairly alert. The woman asked, "are you willing to relinquish ownership of the dog? " The guy once again explained that it wasn't his dog, he just found him and couldn't leave him on the road to die. She told him he would have to fill out a bunch of paperwork and that they would contact the spca and see if they would take over ownership of the dog and pay for his treatment, if not, they wouldn't treat the poor dog. What concerns me was that the spca isn't even open today, who knows how long it will take for them to get the go ahead to treat the dog, who may die in the meantime. I honestly got that feeling that they were just going to scan him for a microchip and if he didn't have one they would put him down and not even try. I haven't stopped thinking about the poor little guy, he looked right at me as he was being carried in. :( All I could think was how upset I would be if my dog got loose and hit by a car, managed to survive and be picked up by someone kind enough to bring him to an emergency vet only to have the vet not treat him because they didn't know if there would be someone to pay the bill or not. Sorry, I'm done with the sad stories, I just feel bad, if we hadn't just handed over all that money for our own dog I would have tried to help the poor guy. There's just only so much you can do when money is the limitation.

Luckily I fed the babies at 9pm, I was planning on feeding them again at 1am and then letting them go until 9am. Since we ended up at the vet until 3, I fed them at 3:30 while we were home getting the rest of the money. It's not the schedule they're used to but they didn't seem too phased by it. They eat every four hours throughout the day and then get an 8 hour break at night for their crops to empty. I just had to kind of push back their bed time accordingly.

Jenlynn

Nov 19, 2011
Parrots

That's horrible! If they knew from the beginning they couldn't give her antivenom why were they doing the tests?!

My old neighbor had boston terriers, he once told me that one of them ate a package of razor blades so he called the vet, they told him he needed to rush the dog in for emergency surgery that would cost a couple thousand dollars. His response was that a bullet costs fifty cents and hung up. The vet ended up calling him back and told him to go to the store and buy a package of frozen spinach and feed it to the dog. He said that the spinach might wrap around the razor blades from the natural turning of the dogs stomach, and allow them to pass safely. So he went to the store, bought a two dollar package of spinach, gave it to his dog and he passed the razors without a problem. These vets were willing to put a small dog through an unnecessary and expensive surgery when they knew of an easy home remedy and it wasn't until he pretty much said he would just kill the dog that their consciences kicked in and they told him his other options. It just makes my blood boil, these people are supposed to be in it for the love of animals and it seems like all they are worried about is lining their pockets. It's just shameful.

I had a friend who had a similiar experience with a Dachshund except the vets conscience didn't catch up with him. The dachshund suddenly was paralyzed. The emergency vet told them they needed a 5,000 dollar surgery or to put the dog to sleep. They chose to put the dog to sleep and never asked for a second opinion. They were heartbroken

2 months later, my doxie did the same thing (happens in 1/3 of all dachsunds) and was completely paralyzed from the back down, my dog vet has extended hours and their regular vets are on call for emergencies. They offered us surgery as an option, but also complete crate rest on pain meds, muscle relaxers, and sedatives followed up with infrared heat therapy and chiro....after 1 week of her crate rest, she could walk again. We ended up paying a fraction of the surgery cost, probably 1000, which they took in biweekly payments. Even if surgery wasn't an option, they said after the swelling went down and her pain subsided, she could just have a doggie wheel chair.

It's horrible that our friends didn't get a second opinion and its even more horrible that the emergency vet didn't offer the alternative therapies. It's well documented on the web that this is a common doxie problem that can be fixed and manged without surgery.

We really have to be our own advocate for these animals in a lot of situations.

I hope your dog feels better. I'm sure he will learn to love the outside again. It's probably still too new in his mind, and with it being a holiday weekend, it might happen again. So I'd probably limit his time outside, especially during the peak times when people are likely to light fireworks for the rest of the week up unto including next weekend.

I hate this time of the year from an animal owner standpoint. I have a horse and it was always a nerve wracking time. Every place I've boarded him at has always put the horses away earlier during this week because you just can't trust your neighbors and what they'll do with fireworks.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Ugh! What a night :( I'm glad he's ok. I hate dealing with ER vets. I really do. It's expensive and it seems, to me anyway, that the only vets and staff who work at those places don't really like their jobs very much. I know why it's expensive and why they require payment up front. It's expensive for the same reason avian vets are expensive. The demand is much less, so in order to remain solvent they have to charge a lot more. I also understand why they require payment up front. i'm sure, in the heat of the moment, people are willing to promise their first born as payment if necessary. But later, when the sun is up and they start to consider the total cost, they back down in a big way. I'm sure requiring payment up front is probably the only way they can ensure they get paid a lot of the time.

But still, it's a hassle and a pain and I'm sorry you guys had to deal with that. :( I have one dog who is terrified of fireworks (and thunder and other loud boomy noises) so I can imagine how scared your pup had to be to attempt to run through a window! I am really glad he's ok!

god61021

Aug 8, 2011
illinois
Parrots
red rumped parakeet
wow very sorry to hear about your dog. I have 3 of them and had this been me I might have went to jail that night. I feel its all medical proffesionals that have went to hell not just vets, we even let people die because they cant afford treatment. its rediculous.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Icy Wolf, I'm sorry you had to go through this! It really does get my blood boiling when they refuse to treat animals until money is brought in. I didn't have the kind of money, just out of my pocket, to pay for my cockatiels injuries. [There was an accident with a cat chase, a foot, a chair, and a wall. ;( ] He died as they didn't treat him immediately. R.I.P. Tweeters... :( They can't even do anything till they get the couple (more than a couple) hundred dolars right then. :53: :mad:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
OMG... I know you went through a rough night but it reminded me of a old song.... Oh what a night....lol....trying to cheer you up. What babies are you feeding and how old? Every 4so hours is a bit extreme unless you removed them for handfeeding at a very young age.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I feel so bad for you. Vet emergencies can be so draining of your emotions and pocketbook. When bad things happen I like to say "this too will pass". Hugs

Most Reactions

Latest posts