I found a bunny!

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
So today I was driving, in rush hour, down a main road in Auckland. I stopped at the traffic lights, and out of the dark hopped the cutest, lop eared, fluffy white and brown bunny rabbit, right into the middle of the intersection!

I was terrified the lights would change and he would get squashed (it is a 4 lane road), so i jammed on the handbrake and leapt out, barefoot, and started chasing the bunny around in circles in the middle of the road. Dramatic rescue!! It must have looked very funny because I got lots of toots and when I finally caught him, cheers! Traffic was stopped for a good 10 min and backed waaaay up, but bunny (or Cecil, as ive christened him) is fine, and I think ive found his owner on the lost pet website, just waiting for her to call me back. He has been out adventuring for a week!!

Hes now hanging out under the dining table chowing down on a carrot. Gizmo is extremely curious at this new animal, and keeps asking him, Hello...what are you doing?

And its amazing, im so used to birds, when you give him a carrot, he just EATS it!!! All of it! Doesnt fling it up the walls, chew it into a milllion bits for fun.......he EATS IT ALL UP! And he has only done one poo in the last hour AND HE ATE THAT TOO! :D:D:D:D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
LoL....he ate the poo....lol....bunnies are so cute. Too bad I become way too allergic to them I couldn't have them anymore....

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
Aye, as in eating; I'm a vegetarian these days, but I have cooked and enjoyed rabbit in the past. I am guessing by that response, that you're unlikely to ever eat it. :)

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Aw sweet, I love my bunny. Hope you find the owner. Also... carrots arn't great for bunnies. High in carbs I think it was; either way, give him some leafy greens to chow down on, he'll appreciate it a lot more :)

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
Thank you for rescuing him! That must have been quite the adventure! Rabbit actually have two kinds of poop - one they are supposed to eat, as it helps digest the food. So don't worry about that!

god61021

Aug 8, 2011
illinois
Parrots
red rumped parakeet
rabbit meat is amazing and extremely healthier then anything you can buy at the grocery store.

OP
mrob

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
The plot thickens..............

I thought I had found his owner, she lost a brown and white bunny within 100 m of where I found Cecil. SO yay! Cecil is BUN BUN of Ocean View Road!!!..............but NO! Cecil is NOT BUNBUN! Cecil is another unrelated bunny not matching BunBun's description!

Oh Cecil, you are an enigma, wrapped in a mystery..................(i am sooo keeping him if i cant find his owner, he is gorgeous, and landlord didnt mind him either!)

here they are, getting to know eachother
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97QfJjYlM-o&feature=youtu.be]CECIL AND GIZMO - YouTube[/ame]

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
the two of them are adorable! what a daring rescue! i hope you find the owner, and if you dont, you can keep him :D

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Thank you for rescuing that poor rabbit !!!!
Hooray for you mob !!!! That definitely was a dramatic rescue ! Im surprised no one got out to help you though :(. But , you did it anyway , so cheers to to you :)

I hope you get to keep him :). But its real nice of you to try to find his proper owners :)
He is such beauty , I love those floppy ears ! Such pretty coloring too .

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
LoL....he ate the poo....lol....bunnies are so cute. Too bad I become way too allergic to them I couldn't have them anymore....

Out of curiosity, are you allergic to rabbits in a pie, or is it just the fur? Random, but I'm curious!

Im actually allergic to their waste....I've tried kitty litter and other stuffs and nothing worked and it makes me very sick. I would never eat a bunny!!! They're too cute to be like that.....I used to walk my bunny on a leash.....

OP
mrob

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Thanks for the replys everyone! Cecil is doing great, but Speaking of waste!

Apparently, From Bunny Website " Rabbits are easy to toilet train, as they naturally select a specific place to urinate and defacate".................................well thats all very well and good Bunny Website but what if that naturally selected spot happens to be ON THE COUCH??

He is very cute though, he gets hyperactive at night and bounces all over the place, jumps up on the couch and comes for a cuddle, I didnt realise they were so social!
My husband who is at sea had this to say when he found out about the rescue:

I've told you about that carry on when you threw your self into shark and jellyfish infested waters to save your budgie! Not cool! could have just brought one like a normal human xxxx
15 hours ago · Unlike · 1

He loves it really, he is excited, he used to have a bunny he loved called Boing Boing when he was a kid but one day he came out and the next door neighbours kids had buried him alive in the garden with his ears sticking out........ Awful, awful awful kids. Oh i just made myself sad remembering that =(

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Male bunnies will mark territory like cats do and their urine stinks!!!

keepsmiling

Jun 21, 2012
Get him neutered, then it is easy to potty train him, and it does not smell near as bad. Not all bucks mark by spraying.

OP
mrob

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
I had a sneaky peek at his pvts before and he is a nuetered boy! He isnt spraying, just did a wee on the couch, naughty boy. Since then though he seems pretty happy to go in his litter box.

I got him a harness and a leash today and he let me put it on him no prob, and we went for a run around outside. He is obviously used to being walked - Im really suprised his owner hasnt got in touch with me yet, Ive put ads up on all the lost pet websites and let all the local vets know, and the SPCA.

He certainly landed on his feet though hahah ive already spent over $100 on him! Its nice for Gizmo too to have someone to chase around....he keeps taking him things to chew like wooden spoons and bits of apple, its very cute, especially when he tells him he is Such a GOOD BOY!

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Oh I just posted about getting a bunny with my eccy! Its a mini lop too! How adorable, I am glad they seem to be doing well with each other! And glad you rescued the bunny! :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts