Very sick counre!!! Help!

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Bottled better than well water, u can try distilled or spring. If u have a britta or similar that would be good.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Bottled water or filtered water is all I give my birds, dogs, and cats.

OP
R

RastasPeace23

Mar 25, 2013
California
Parrots
I have a Jenday Conure named Rasta.
WHAT THE BIRD OWNER SAID: "My cockatiel died after I used Arm & Hammer Pet Fresh carpet deodorizer. The Company finally admitted it's not recommended for use around birds. They said they didn't need to put a warning on the product. I'm just broken hearted, and her mate is just lost without her, Loretta."

THE WEBSITE THAT POSTED THIS SAID: "This is the first time we have heard of this, and one case doesn't necessarily make it so, but we thought we had better let you know so that you would be aware."

I just read this off a website. I bought the foaming carpet spray recently. Maybe a few weeks ago. I love how great it makes the room smell. I used it on the carpet near his cage (which is elevated) I haven't used it for over a week until today I only used it by the door which is about 5-6 feet away. I have litter boxes there so after I scoop I spray a little to make it smell fresh. I tried looking for other stories on it and couldn't find any. Should I stop using it all together or is it okay to use by the door that is 5-6 feet away from him?
I think for now I will stop. Is there anything to freshen a room that is safe to use around birds...?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
We got rid of most of the carpet because of that reason, only one room left to rid.....

OP
R

RastasPeace23

Mar 25, 2013
California
Parrots
We got rid of most of the carpet because of that reason, only one room left to rid.....

I wish my mom would. It's like clothes, it hold smells and makes rooms smell if not washed here and there. I have always hated carpet.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Should I stop using it all together or is it okay to use by the door that is 5-6 feet away from him?
I think for now I will stop. Is there anything to freshen a room that is safe to use around birds...?

I would get rid of it, and any other chemical/artificial room sprays, air fresheners, burning candles, harsh chemical cleaning products. Any of those can cause health problems in birds. Of course, no Teflon cookware at all can be used. There are much better alternatives for all of these.

For carpet problem spots, Veggie Wash with a natural citrus fragrance use it as a cleaner, or just freshen. It won't hurt anything but will clean very well. If you get the concentrated type, u can use it as strong or weak as you want. A product I started using this, smells soooo good. Remember, never spray any of these things whre the birdy can breathe it while it is in the air. Move the bird, or pour on to cloth.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Friendly-Product-Pl974632-Parsley/dp/B003SCH762/ref=sr_1_3?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1386173126&sr=1-3&keywords=parsley+cleaner]Amazon.com - Earth Friendly Product Pl974632 Parsley Plus All Purpose Cleaner 32 Oz.[/ame]

QUOTE FROM SITE:
"EARTH FRIENDLY PRODUCTS" ALL PURPOSE CLEANER : 32 OZ. Earth Friendly. Parsley Plus All Purpose Cleaner. Neutral Ph 7-8. Very Gentle On Skin. Free Of Harsh Fumes Or Vapors. Ammonia Free. Glycol & Glycol Ether Free. Leaves No Toxic Residue On Surfaces Cleaned. Leaves No Residue Period. Non-Polluting. 100% Biodegradable. Non-Toxic, Natural. Penetrates & Emulsifies Grease, Oil & Grime. Will Not Harm Grass & Other Yard Surfaces When Used For Outdoor Cleaning. Will Not Strip The Finish Of Wooden Furniture, Decks, Etc. Can Use On Painted Surfaces, Vinyl, Linoleum, Clothing, Metal, Porcelain, Wood. Safe On Any Outdoor Washable Surface. Including Grills, Wooden Decks & Furniture, Ingredients: Purified Water, Parsley Essence. 100% Natural Anionic Coconut Kernel Oil Based Surfactant. For Use On Countertops, Ovens, Appliances, Sinks, Walls, Floors, Ceramic Tile & Clothing.

Attachments

• 31FsMNslDtL.jpg
    31FsMNslDtL.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 180
OP
R

RastasPeace23

Mar 25, 2013
California
Parrots
Should I stop using it all together or is it okay to use by the door that is 5-6 feet away from him?

I would get rid of it, and any other chemical/artificial room sprays, air fresheners, burning candles, harsh chemical cleaning products. Any of those can cause health problems in birds. Of course, no Teflon cookware at all can be used. There are much better alternatives for all of these.

For carpet problem spots, Veggie Wash with a natural citrus fragrance use it as a cleaner, or just freshen. It won't hurt anything but will clean very well. If you get the concentrated type, u can use it as strong or weak as you want. A product I started using this, smells soooo good. Remember, never spray any of these things whre the birdy can breathe it while it is in the air. Move the bird, or pour on to cloth.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Friendly-Product-Pl974632-Parsley/dp/B003SCH762/ref=sr_1_3?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1386173126&sr=1-3&keywords=parsley+cleaner]Amazon.com - Earth Friendly Product Pl974632 Parsley Plus All Purpose Cleaner 32 Oz.[/ame]

QUOTE FROM SITE:
"EARTH FRIENDLY PRODUCTS" ALL PURPOSE CLEANER : 32 OZ. Earth Friendly. Parsley Plus All Purpose Cleaner. Neutral Ph 7-8. Very Gentle On Skin. Free Of Harsh Fumes Or Vapors. Ammonia Free. Glycol & Glycol Ether Free. Leaves No Toxic Residue On Surfaces Cleaned. Leaves No Residue Period. Non-Polluting. 100% Biodegradable. Non-Toxic, Natural. Penetrates & Emulsifies Grease, Oil & Grime. Will Not Harm Grass & Other Yard Surfaces When Used For Outdoor Cleaning. Will Not Strip The Finish Of Wooden Furniture, Decks, Etc. Can Use On Painted Surfaces, Vinyl, Linoleum, Clothing, Metal, Porcelain, Wood. Safe On Any Outdoor Washable Surface. Including Grills, Wooden Decks & Furniture, Ingredients: Purified Water, Parsley Essence. 100% Natural Anionic Coconut Kernel Oil Based Surfactant. For Use On Countertops, Ovens, Appliances, Sinks, Walls, Floors, Ceramic Tile & Clothing.

I haven't sprayed anything since he got sick, just that carpet stuff last night before I read about it.

I have to do a complete clean out of his cage today and all I use to clean it is vinegar and water mixture plus that poop off bird poop remover. Those should still be okay to use right...? I have been using them for about 7 months now with no issues.

We do use non stick pans, but he is in a room upstairs with a closed door not ever in the kitchen. Is this still an issue as well..?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Do not use aerosol spray cans of any form either. That is deadly to our birds. Not sure if someone already mentioned it, just wanted to add that.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
And yes non stick pans in close proximity is dangerous if over-heated, unless bird is far away and you have a good ventilation system.

I hope Rasta keeps getting better and better :)

Last edited:
OP
R

RastasPeace23

Mar 25, 2013
California
Parrots
And yes non stick pans in close proximity is dangerous, unless bird is far away and you have a good ventilation system.

As I said he is upstairs in an enclosed room. My mom bought very expensive air cleaner last year for the room. So is it still an issue even with all that..? :confused:

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
He is probably fine if he is upstairs

Last edited:
OP
R

RastasPeace23

Mar 25, 2013
California
Parrots
Update: 12/4/2013 7:19 p.m.

Rasta is still doing extremely well. He takes all his medicine like a champ. His balance is almost completely normal. He is eating his pellets with no complaints. He does still get about 2-3 nutriberries a day because I like to use them as a reward for taking all of his medicine. I chopped up some apples today about dime sized and at first he didn't even touch it, but when I checked on him later they were all on the floor. He may not have ate as much as I would like, but I know he had a nibble. I don't know if maybe it's because I cut them different than before, but he has finally shown interest.

Another question for you all, do you guys use UVB bulbs on your birds?

Last edited:

Heidielise

Nov 25, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
YAY!!! Maybe you've turned the corner on this ordeal? I hope so & am keeping you two in my thoughts. Looking forward to some more good news in the updates!

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots

So glad Rasta continue to improve. Just do what your doing.
As for the non-stick pans -- Certain newer non-stick pans are okay if they don't have the chemicals that Teflon has. For example, I just got a ceramic interior non-stick, Martha Stewart's line at Macy's. It was on sale and was $20 something. It is safe and actually a great non-stick pan. I can't say one way or the other about whether the room upstairs is safe from the fumes. Call the vet's office. Also, you can search the forum as there has been lots of conversation about teflon, or even post a new thread asking.

I'm so happy for u and Rasta. You must feel so much relief.

TeenageBirdMom

Dec 5, 2013
Media
MD
Parrots
Apollo-Sun Conure
Skuttle- Cockatiel
Sprite & Sierra- keets
Toshae- Cockatoo
Monae- Female eclectus
Bonca- Male Ekkie
Hi I have a little pineapple conure named Apollo, and many more. but when my keets acted this way I syringe fed them baby parrot formula and kept them in an aquarium (without water of course!!) which was padded with lots of towels, a perch that came slightly off the ground, food and water, and a heating pad kept on low on the outside part of the bottom of the aquarium, Standing/balancing takes A LOT out of a sick bird.

Try offering him washed grapes so he will get sugars for energy and fluids. Otherwise keep up with the vet appointments. Theyre ultimatley your best bet that he will be okay.

P.s. Big company pet stores (petsmart, petco) are terrible places to buy a parrot...trust me.. also you should invest in some roudy bush pellets for proper nutrition.

Hope he feels better soon! Best of luck!!!

OP
R

RastasPeace23

Mar 25, 2013
California
Parrots
Hi I have a little pineapple conure named Apollo, and many more. but when my keets acted this way I syringe fed them baby parrot formula and kept them in an aquarium (without water of course!!) which was padded with lots of towels, a perch that came slightly off the ground, food and water, and a heating pad kept on low on the outside part of the bottom of the aquarium, Standing/balancing takes A LOT out of a sick bird.

Try offering him washed grapes so he will get sugars for energy and fluids. Otherwise keep up with the vet appointments. Theyre ultimatley your best bet that he will be okay.

P.s. Big company pet stores (petsmart, petco) are terrible places to buy a parrot...trust me.. also you should invest in some roudy bush pellets for proper nutrition.

Hope he feels better soon! Best of luck!!!

I did lower his perches a bit. He has been doing so great with getting around his balance is now almost prefect. It is usually at night after a long day and when he is tired that I notice he isn't completely balanced, other than that it is good.

I have been putting in fresh food in his cage every morning. He isn't really that interested in it, but he does nibble a tiny bit. He is eating all pellets right now except for after he takes his medicine. I give him one nutriberry ball as a treat after each dose because I didn't want to take it away completely and shock him, so he gets about 3 a day.

I use the Zupreem natural, Lafeber, and Harrison's pellets. I have done it this way so it is like he has a little variety since he is used to seeds. Ever since he got sick he just started to eat pellets more on his own so I went with it. I have seen the roudy bush pellets, but haven't tried them yet. Are they better...?

Believe me I know the pet stores are the worst place I have seen the videos, but Rasta was a gift from my mom. I am guilty of pet store pets, but over the years I have found a love for rescuing.

Last edited:

KeroRocks

Feb 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Parrots
Sheldon-M- GCC |
Cooper -F--Yellow sided GCC | Dori -F- Blue Quaker | Marley -M- Sun Conure | Kero -M- Hahn's Macaw | Sam-M- CAG
|Yara -F- RFM | Boo -F- Red Rump parakeet
Do you have a travel cage? Or a carrier? Something small that you can move him into? He's going to hurt himself falling. You want to have one very low or no perches and a towel on the bottom. Make sure he has food and water.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
This may be a 2 hour ride for you....but I do believe your bird needs medical attention:
Birds & More | Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital, Hawthorne, California

Not sure if I can make it out there because of work, but the site had a lot of great info. I am more concerned about lead poisoning now because It says candles with a metal core can raise lead levels in the air. So maybe it is lead poisoning.:confused:

There has to be an Avian vet in either Palmdale or Lancaster.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
So the vet has put Rasta on Baytril and Milk thistle to stabalize his liver and some bene bac to keep some good bacteria in him while on antibiotics. He hasn't even started this yet, but seems to be improving so fingers crossed.

He is also now eating mainly pellets. I give him a bowl of pellets with 1 nutriberry ball thing. I guess he knows he needs to get healthy. I am now going to try the fresh food thing again until we find something he will try.

I will continue to update you all through his progress. The vet wants me to call at least once a day to update them. I really couldn't have found a more caring vet.

Please give all your birdies an extra cuddle for me and any other babies you all have. We must enjoy them while we can. Thank you again for all the help and positive thoughts.

Milk thistle is wonderful the liver. Glad to hear you were able to find a good AV and in the AV too. When I lived in the AV area, there were several really good Avian vets there.

OP
R

RastasPeace23

Mar 25, 2013
California
Parrots
Do you have a travel cage? Or a carrier? Something small that you can move him into? He's going to hurt himself falling. You want to have one very low or no perches and a towel on the bottom. Make sure he has food and water.

He is not falling at all, it was just that one time on Sunday. I do have towels and puppy pads at the bottom anyway and I lowered the perches. I don't want to put him in a super small cage because he is still very active. I also don't want to stress him by doing so. He has pellets that I change every morning and fresh water added as well. His pellets are almost all gone by the end of the day so I'm not too worried about his appetite. :orange:

Most Reactions