vet appointment, how concerned should I be?

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
You guys are going to hate me.

I have an appointment for monday morning with a bird vet who doesn't use anesthesia unless unavoidable or requested.

The kicker?

The practice is only 2.8 miles from my house.

I have a bird vet within walking distance.

*wallllkinggg distanceee*, guys, WALKING DISTANCE! /grabs nearest person my the shoulders and shakes them gently. WALLLLKKKKKINNNNGGGG DISSSTANNNCEEE.

Do you know how useful that is for a city liver with no permanent vehicle?? Gaaah how am I this lucky?

My special friend will be giving us a ride over on Monday morning though.

This is my first time going to a new vet in.... well, since before I even got Alex (who is apparently closer to 16 than 15 actually. Double checked my records when the vet said he had hatched '02 in their records, and yeah. I was wrong. Actually got Alex when I was 11, not 12.) Any advice? They have formes for new clients to fill out so they can get an idea of diet, husbandry, etc. Anything I should be sure to tell them, or to ask them?

This is exciting. Even the receptionist seemed knowledgeable. Said a few things that are big old green flags in my eyes. :D

Very excitingggg. Hee hee hee

From phone

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Wait, I did have that written that he is nearly 16. Now I'm just confused why I thought 12 and '03. Shrug. Dates are less important than days together tho. :)

From phone, apparently before having enough coffee

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
That’s great!!!

I would just be sure they know not to do ANYTHING to your bird without your permission, not even “routine maintenance” that in some clinic includes things like clipping and removing bands (two things that may lead to a law suit if they tried it on my birds!), just anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
I'm not going to let them take him out of my sight without darn good reason. Also, he isn't banded. Never was. He came from a small pet shop who probably bought him from a local breeder or maybe even just one of their customers who's pets had a clutch. Shrug.

I'd be fine if they want to trim his nails for me, lol. They need doing and he can be a snot about it sometimes. Haha

Sent from phone

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Walking distance? That's really lucky, bug! Glad you discovered this! Let us know how it all goes.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
“Accidentally” lol. Yeah I’m not against vets preforming simple tasks, I just get upset when they do it without asking, especially something that requires my bird to be restrained

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Good luck with the new vet - how lucky to have one that close! It' over an hour's drive for me.

I have mixed feelings about anesthesia. The modern gasses used for birds are very quick acting and much safer than they used to be. So it's balancing the risk of the anesthetic against the risk of the bird being stressed out or hurt while being restrained, or hurt because of wiggling/thrashing. Someone posted this week that their macaw got cheek abrasions from rubbing against a towel during restraint. Macaws in particular seem to freak out during restraint, screaming and struggling, so they could hurt themselves, get away, cause a needle to slip ... and some birds can die of stress. So I'd discuss it with this vet. Risk, expense, advantages.

I'm taking Gus tomorrow, to see about pain meds for his back, and I decided from now on if he has to be restrained for more than a quick exam - beak trim and nails included - I prefer him to be knocked out for it. I believe it has to hurt his back for him to be restrained, and he freaks out so badly and thrashes. He could hurt himself maybe by twisting his spine. Now, he's a special case because of the spinal deformity, and that influences my choice. There is no black and white answer, it depends on the bird, the procedure, and the vet.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Shoot, it couldn't be easy could it! Other vet called and offered to do the exam sans anesthetic. His practice for this would charge about 1/2 the price of the bird vet. I am very torn and not just over the money aspect because, obviously, I'd go to the poor house with a huge grin on my face whistling the whole way if it was to keep Alex around longer. The other vet I have been going to for many yeats and trust a lot.

Hmm. I have not called him back yet. Like, this vet is awesome. I didn't ask for him to call me, he just did after I cancelled the appointment. Like, personally, not a tech. And then when I didn't answer he texted me from hispersonalcell phone. Really has fantastic client-dr interaction skills.

Am I just trying to talk myself into going with the known vet because it would be less anxiety inducing? Maybe. Hmm. What do you guys vote? I still have a few hours to decide. Either appt would be monday.

From phone

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Re: chloroform I am a scientist and it is a useful solvent for the record. I am not some creepy chloroform criminal or something.

From phone
I thought that old CCC program ended years ago.

Yes, that's exactly what the CCC'rs want people to think. Then suddenly it's "Excuse me, can you tell me if this rag smells like chloroform?" And you wake up hours later to find only your left sock missing (because otherwise it wouldn't be creepy enough).

From phone

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I would call the original vet and explain your concerns and have an honest conversation. Discuss HOW he plans to take the blood, that you don’t want your bird leaving your sight, etc. you trust this guy.

On the other hand, I highly advise starting a relationship with an actual avian vet including getting baseline blood work on time with them. If and when something really is wrong with your bird, you want the most knowledgeable vet, not the friendliest vet.

If it were me, I would call the family vet back and explain that you love and trust him, but that you want to be as prepared as possible for the worst when seconds might be the difference between life and death for your fid. Explain that he is still your favorite vet and you are still a loyal client with your other pets but that you want to be sure your fid gets the most specialized care possible.

Most Reactions