Vet help?

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I have made an appointment with a vet on Saturday , I'm taking one of my budgies. The problem is that he has NEVER been to the vet since he is a petco budgie. He can go on my finger and eat from my hand but he has never been out yet. That's why I took him to the vet to get his wings clipped so I can take him out of the cage. I'm worried that when I bring him the vet will handle him roughly and his fear of hands will come back. Any advise would be helpful....

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Your vet will most likely towel your budgie and will cover his head with it so he can't see and it's all dark etc. The vet might even ask you to leave the room so the budgie is less likely to associate you with the bad things that are happening to him.

Just let your vet know your budgie is nervous of people and that you don't want his fear of hands to rise again. I'm sure he'll understand and do all he can to reduce it. Just offer your baby lots of millet and positive things for him when he's home. Don't just grab him out and expect him to be okay. Lots of birds need time to relax and recover from vet visits, even if it's just a checkup!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You really didn't have to clip his wings to tame him... and a good vet will handle your bird with care. I'd rather be there personally and see what the vet does with the bird rather than not see and have something bad happen. In this way, you can ask any questions required while the vet as your bird and he/she can show you what they are doing and why.

wulfie

Jul 8, 2012
I haven't gotten my baby yet, but that's one of the first things I'm gonna ask the vet to do, trim his wings

OP
Birdlover11

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
I am going to be there, right next to him. I'm just worried that the way the vet will handle him , with the towel will bring him back to the memories in how he was caught at the pet store

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
If he's comfortable with you now, he'll probably still be after the vet. If he's stressed at the vet's, when you get home, leave him in his cage, and talk to him, but, do not handle him that day. The next day, approach him as usual. And go on as nothing has happened. Birds pick up on our stress, so be reassuring that he's okay, and don't worry too much. He'll pick up on your worry, and become alarmed, and wonder what's wrong. No animals like the vets office. It smells of fear & death & tension to them. It's our job, as their guardians, to soothe their fears, and return them to the stable, loving environment they become used to. Don't worry, vets are vets because they love animals, and know the animals are stressed out being there. He'll be fine.

OP
Birdlover11

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Sorry I haven't responded. My I pad is acting pretty strange, the Internet wasn't woking well. I. Never missed a website this much! Anyway I took him yesterday, their was the huge problem of getting him in the carrier. He was really scared the whole ride. When we got theIr he calmed down and waited quitky on his perch as he watched chickens,kittens, dogs and a guinie pig coming in an out of the clinic.we were waiting in the waiting room. The vetinary clinic was family owned and they had a giant cockatoo cage in the corner with a cute one in it. You could tell his name is joe because he kept saying it over and over again. There was also a chicken with a broken leg that was in a open box.When his name was called we took him in the examining room and he freaked out as it smelled like different kinds of birds and a hint sickness. When the vet came in she had a towel that covers her hand so the parakeet can't see any skin. She wrapped around the wings and body so he can't try to escape and hurt himself . She checked his vent,eyes,nasal openings and parted the feathers to check for mites. He had a cut on his foot so she put some medication on it, and weighed him. She said he's over weight as I told her I was moving him on pellets. He was wiggling and trying to bite her finger the whole time. She had to take him to another room to clip his feathers and nails. Overall it was a pleasant experience except for poor Pepsi. It costed 79 dollars including feather and nail clipping. Poor Pepsi was completely pooped when he came home. I left him in the carrier for 10 minuets as he was completely tired. If you live on longisland or near it on newyork it is a very good clinic, it's in patchouge . The website is paumonaukvetinaryclinic.com.

Most Reactions

Latest posts