Vet visit for Melon

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Red-Headed Amazon - Melon,
Jenday Conure - Halo,
Budgies - Mickey and Pluto
Bought Melon last Saturday from a private seller who hand-fed him since he was an unweaned baby. History - Per previous owner, hatched date was 4/12/14. The previous owner clipped the wings too short, brought him out sometimes, and he fell a few times, causing a wound on the stomach. The wound looked like it was healing. He was fed Roudy Bush pellets with a little bit of Kaytee seeds with colored pellets, some fresh fruits.

Vet visit today - initial exam, gram stain, direct fecal, CBC. Per vet, the wound due to falling is covered by feather debris. Removed the feather debris, bleeding a little bit still, poor birdie, applied soother cream. Told me not to let him fall again because his back seems to hurt too. He has sinus infection due to malnutrition. Fed him a drop of ibuprofen. His blood cell count was normal. He weights 313 gram, considered skinny. Organs are fine. Showed her a part of Melon's cage, she said the cage didn't have lead. I also tested for Zinc and Lead and had negative results. More lab results will come next Tuesday. Asked for a DNA test too.

Brought home - a folder with a lot of info such as diet plan, how to look at droppings, Vitamin A comparison list, list of household toxic products, etc. ibuprofen and soother cream, Harrison pellets, Lafeber Nutri-an Cakes. Will bring Melon back for a recheck next Saturday.

Now I'm just worried about his wound, hope it will heal asap. He also beaks at the wound, how to stop him? or is it ok? don't want him to ingest the cream...

Last edited:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Sounds like your vet has a handle on getting Melon back to normal...why not trust her?

OP
Ninjette

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Jenday Conure - Halo,
Sounds like your vet has a handle on getting Melon back to normal...why not trust her?

I trust her, that's why I'd rather drive 45 mins to let her look at Melon than 15 minutes to see the one in my area...

I'm just worried about Melon touching his wound with his beak ><

this vet is recommended by my friend's vet and she sees a lot of birds from Mickaboo. I highly recommend her and I think she will get Melon back to normal :) I just don't have faith in myself because I'm a newbie, and I just lost a parrot not long ago.. I'm scared and worried.. I need advice and help on making Melon's life happy and healthy ")

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Sorry to hear that Melon isn't feeling well, love is the best medicine. If she keeps trying to lick the cream off, you may want to ask the vet if a cone might be helpful, aka the cone of shame we call it for our dogs. My cockatiel wore one for a few days until we were sure she wasn't going to keep picking at where a blood feather had appeared, the vet put the cone on.

You could lower the perches low to the cage bottom so if she falls its not a long drop. I hope she improves quickly.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

I trust her, that's why I'd rather drive 45 mins to let her look at Melon than 15 minutes to see the one in my area...

I'm just worried about Melon touching his wound with his beak ><

this vet is recommended by my friend's vet and she sees a lot of birds from Mickaboo. I highly recommend her and I think she will get Melon back to normal :) I just don't have faith in myself because I'm a newbie, and I just lost a parrot not long ago.. I'm scared and worried.. I need advice and help on making Melon's life happy and healthy ")

Oh no, neither you nor Melon deserve this angst and illness!

I'll bite my tongue with regard to the potential neglect of the prior owner as evidenced by malnutrition and infection - what matters now is that Melon has you and apparently a great vet.

The good news seems to be the absence of a systemic and debilitating disease process; sinus infections are readily cured. Has the vet imaged Melon's body to check for skeletal fractures??

Other than the "cone" for a few days, don't know how else to prevent the licking or picking of the site.

Hang in there, and yes, love is a vital ingredient to nursing a sick bird!!

Keep us posted of the progress!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I think you really need to trust in yourself more, especially if your vet has not indicated you've been less than the best parront you could be.....and if you feel more comfortable with driving Melon to this vet, I can relate to that.....my vet's office is almost 80 miles from where I live, but like you, I trust my vet & since our move was not the fault of my flock, I also take them where I trust & am comfortable with the veterinary care......

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Please trust yourself and know your love will do wonders for your bird!

I am going through a similar situation right now with an OWA I've only had for about 5 or 6 weeks. She came from a home with owners who fed her parakeet seed, coffee, soda, and whatever was on their plate with no regard to her health. She was kept in a filthy little cage that was galvanized steel and all rusted.

We've now been to the emergency vet twice, and the avian vet 5 times and have at least 2 more trips ahead of us. I also travel about 45 minutes one way to the vet.

Zilla's diagnosis is aspergillus in her secondary air sacs and enlarged kidneys that aren't functioning properly.

Since we finally got the right diagnosis about 14 days ago she has improved so much she is like a whole different bird!

Your bird will respond to the love and care you provide and the medications will work even better because of all the love she feels from you.

OP
Ninjette

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Jenday Conure - Halo,
the vet didn't say anything about a fractured bone, but she said the falls hurt his back...

I also asked if I should lower the perches in the cage, but she said if he never fell in the cage, then it should be ok. told me I just had to be careful when he was out.. I notice he tends to follow me around.. when I leave the bedroom, he always wants to fly off the bed to follow me.. so I bought a smaller portable perch stand to carry him around when I walk around the house..

I will ask the vet about Melon licking and picking of the wound, and to see if he needs a cone of shame ><

one of my dogs just got off the cone of shame after a surgery to repair hernia.. within these two months I've been to the vet more than eating rice ><

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
the vet didn't say anything about a fractured bone, but she said the falls hurt his back...

I also asked if I should lower the perches in the cage, but she said if he never fell in the cage, then it should be ok. told me I just had to be careful when he was out.. I notice he tends to follow me around.. when I leave the bedroom, he always wants to fly off the bed to follow me.. so I bought a smaller portable perch stand to carry him around when I walk around the house..

I will ask the vet about Melon licking and picking of the wound, and to see if he needs a cone of shame ><

one of my dogs just got off the cone of shame after a surgery to repair hernia.. within these two months I've been to the vet more than eating rice ><

I can't fault you for the utmost of concern and worry regardless of veterinary skill. It's your bird and ultimately your potential loss, something you are still managing..... On the continuum of laxity vs hypersensitivity, you seem rational!

The ointment is probably safe for use anticipating most animals are known to lick or pick at new applications, but the vet can better advise. Cones of shame are usually the last resort unless the wound is serious and stitched or the animal is relentless,

OP
Ninjette

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Jenday Conure - Halo,
I can't fault you for the utmost of concern and worry regardless of veterinary skill. It's your bird and ultimately your potential loss, something you are still managing..... On the continuum of laxity vs hypersensitivity, you seem rational!

The ointment is probably safe for use anticipating most animals are known to lick or pick at new applications, but the vet can better advise. Cones of shame are usually the last resort unless the wound is serious and stitched or the animal is relentless,

I forgot today was Sunday, the vet is closed.. I emailed them and see if they reply tmr. he has been better after I let him out of the cage.. he's been very active today.. always finds things to chew and play with.. I can't even eat lol
just fed him red peppers, baby carrots, and lettuce.. he loves red peppers the most :) my friend is on his way, he will come help me towel Melon so I can put the soother cream

Most Reactions