Vet visit for new family member, and a quesiton

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
Stitch the Blue Crown Conure
Hi there. So, I want to be a good parront and hanging out here made me realize I needed to locate a vet and get an initial well visit. It turns out the University of Pennsylvania Veterinary Hospital has an exotics department and will see birds! It's $119 plus blood work and any other thing that is needed; I put a call in and they're calling me back with the exact info. This seems fair, yes? Every routine cat visit costs around $200 so seems comparable.

My question is: do any of you carry insurance for your birds?

thanks,
O.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Yes the price is quite ok i think. I will pay $110 this week for for a normal consultation ond dna just

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
The University of PA has an amazing veterinary program, albeit quite expensive. Our dog had a week long stay there after a very bad accident. Over $10,000 later, she is now 15 years old and still doing good(pretty amazing for a siberian husky). They do have some great Drs there though!

Last edited:
OP
osnyder

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
Icy-- they called me back, it will be closer to $350 with routine blood work. Hrm.

But, as you said, they're some of the best vets out there, and I wouldn't bring him anywhere else without a first-hand recommendation. Around here everyone seems to go to New Jersey, which I'd rather avoid, :/

cheers,
o.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I think that the UPA vets are great for a really complex or emergency case, and they were always extremely caring and friendly to us, and they saw A LOT of us during that weeks time. BUT... I don't know that I would personally spend that much money just to get a well check up done unless it was the only avian vet around. I would recommend them 100% if there was something wrong with your bird because I'm sure they would probably catch it quicker than anyone, but since you are just having a normal checkup and blood work, you would honestly probably end up with the same results for less money if you go to a normal vet.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Puck's first vet visit was about $350. It included the initial consult, beak and claw grooming, and a blood panel.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
You can't really go wrong going to a University. They will have a lot more experience than vets in private practices. The price seems fair, Rome's visit runs just over $300 (Blood Work included).

OP
osnyder

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
I just got a referral from my normal (furry animal) vet for a local doctor that specializes partly in birds & exotics, and yes-- the initial whole deal will still be about $300. The vet's name is Sheldon Gerstenfeld and it appears he has written many books, and is a UofPV graduate. I think I'll take him there :)

here's the link

http://www.chestnuthillvet.com/ourdoctorsstaff.html

Last edited:

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
I'm sure hes qualified. The only thing that I am picky about is that I wont take any of my animals to a vet that isn't board certified, but that is just me (I'm like that with human Dr.s as well).

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
I paid $78 for a check up. I think $119 is an okay price for a check up & blood work.

Most Reactions