Vitamins ?

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I am new to Ekkies . I have two male rehomes. I worry about their diet ,does anyone add vitamins to their diet to make sure their getting everything ? I give them what they should be eating [but they toss a lot] . Hard to know whats getting in them.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
As long as they are eating lots of fruit and veggies, and maybe a little bit of ekkie-specific/low iron pellets, I wouldn't worry about vitamins.

It might be a good idea to keep tabs on what exactly they are eating, and what they're throwing out. If they're very picky, making a smoothie out of lots of good fresh fruit and veggies might work, they're less likely to throw it out, although more likely to make a big mess.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
One of the reasons for eclectus toe tapping is an excess of vitamins.... so unless recommended by an avian vet as per blood tests, I wouldn't recommend giving them!

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Monica - interesting I didn't know that .

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Here's a pretty thorough survey about toe tapping which had a lot of responses to it. (so far, over 230 people have done the survey)

Survey Results

And the survey in readable format....

Toe-Tapping and Wing Flipping

Some eclectus do find eating a diet of what all the other birds eat and others start toe tapping the moment they eat something that their body is sensitive to. Harrison's believes it's a mating behavior and goes away with time.

Hopefully you never have to deal with that, or if you do you can easily correct the issue!

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
When Oliver first joined our family (5 months old) he was toe-tapping as a result of eating pellets and seed. I immediately switched him to fresh vegetables, fruit, beans, and rice and the tapping ceased. I do give him a tablespoon of seed and pellet a few days out of the week in his forage wheel to entertain him but otherwise no. His vet exam again (second one) showed he's super healthy and not in need of any vitamins.

Most Reactions

Latest posts