Vocals

Pinkbullets

Aug 23, 2011
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Luna: solomon island eclectus
Evie: red-sided eclectus
I have never had an eclectus before Luna, and so I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to their speech.

At the moment, she sort of "mimmics" syllables.

Example:

Instead of "Hello", she honks twice.
Instead of "I love you", she honks three times.

Should I expect that her articulation with words will improve?

mygirl

Banned
Banned
Oct 4, 2010
Parrots
Female Eclectus
hey there mylah is nearly 2 and she talks a lot but some things she just has noises and we know what she means like she has a special whistle for my mum she only ever does it when we mention nanny or she sees her, she had another noise she makes when she wants a bicky somedays she might never talk but her personality is awesome :)

OP
Pinkbullets

Pinkbullets

Aug 23, 2011
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Luna: solomon island eclectus
Evie: red-sided eclectus
That's great!

We'll see.

She is such a nice bird, I do not think that I would care whether or not she ended up being a talker.

mygirl

Banned
Banned
Oct 4, 2010
Parrots
Female Eclectus
mylah talks a lot when she thinks we are not there and she didn't really start talking untill she was over 12 months old

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Mac is 3 years old and he talks A LOT. He just picked up from me "Wants some fresh water" within the last week. I have only had Mac for a week and a half so I take no credit for his talking ability. But he has some of the clearest speach that I have ever heard from a bird. He probably has better than 25-30 phrases that he says and I would guess a minimum of 50-75 words. He just picked up within the last two days, "Are you kidding" and will repeat it constantly. hahahahahahaha.

So give your bird time, if he was neglected or abused, it will take more time for him to get comfortable with you and his surroundings. But once he does, he should start to really chatter.

Has your Ekkie started taking a bath on his own yet? That is usually an indication that a bird has finally settled in.

c3honey84

Mar 9, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Eclectus-"Roxy"
Eclectus are EXCELLENT talkers! My Roxy is the best talking parrot I have ever heard! She sounds EXACTLY like me when she talks. I have been saying "come here" to her for about a week, and she is already repeating it! She says about 30 words so far. She is just now starting to talk in front of us. It took six months, but she's finally comfortable with us.

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
Sydney talks like crazy. He's two now, and he really started talking about 6 months ago. He won't say anything unless he knows what it means. He doesn't just repeat things. I think Alex, the conure has helped, too, because he's my best talker right now.

pawsfoot

Jul 19, 2010
Media
Brooksville, FL
Parrots
1 Eclectus Parrot (Ezmerelda), 1 Patagonian Conure (Peanut)
Ezmerelda mumbles mostly when we are near her, but if she doesn't think we are around she will have a whole conversation with herself. She says hello, I love you, Toto (thats the dogs name), Ezmerelda, and various other random things. Every now and then if she wants she will say hello when we walk in the room. It is very clear and distinct though when she does speak. It took her a good 3 months before she started talking to us though. I don't know if she knew anything before we got her because she was in a room all by herself and the man we rescued her from only interacted with her when he fed her.

Most Reactions

Latest posts