kodibloo

Aug 25, 2011
Media
Bremerton, Washington
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw, Jalen,
Eclectus, Maui,
Senegal, Erkle
I rescued a male Eclectus just over a year ago, He had been kept in a small cat carrier for six years. I was told that he had a feather deformity and that he would always be this way. But since these people chose to keep him in a cat carrier, I didn't believe anything they said. I would like to know if anyone knows what's going on with his feathers. The ones on his wings and tail come in looking like sticks and the rest of his body looks like chick fluff. His head looks normal. I feed him mostly fresh foods with some pellets and treats. He's very sweet and sings to me. He also loves to watch cartoons and make all the sound effects.

OP
K

kodibloo

Aug 25, 2011
Media
Bremerton, Washington
Parrots
Eclectus, Maui,
Senegal, Erkle
There is a pic of him in the photo gallery, can't figure out how to attach one here.

OP
K

kodibloo

Aug 25, 2011
Media
Bremerton, Washington
Parrots
Eclectus, Maui,
Senegal, Erkle
I should have clarified, he does not pluck, they grow in just like they are and then moult out. He does try to preen, runs his beak along the shaft of the long sticklike feathers. They grow out with nothing but the shaft, and a small portion of feather sticking out of it.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Odd, have you had him to an avian vet? Perhaps they could help more.

How long have you had him? It really looks like a result of plucking - but there are several feather disorders that can have this sort of result, though I don't know why the head feathers would be spared (this is what makes it look like plucking).

LoveMauiGus

Jun 14, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
Parrots
Maui - Sun Conure,
Gus - Yellow Collared Macaw
Odd, have you had him to an avian vet? Perhaps they could help more.

How long have you had him? It really looks like a result of plucking - but there are several feather disorders that can have this sort of result, though I don't know why the head feathers would be spared (this is what makes it look like plucking).

That's what it seems like to me.. just from my experience at rescues with former pluckers. They can't pluck their heads so those always look nice, and when they stop plucking the feathers normally don't grow back at all or don't grow back correctly. I would still advise you to see an avian vet though

Pinkbullets

Aug 23, 2011
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Luna: solomon island eclectus
Evie: red-sided eclectus
I do know that factors such as stress or lack of circulation can cause feather abnormalities on different parts of the body.

For example, if a bird does not exercise their wings in some way, the circulation of blood in the wings can be poor, thus affecting the actual growth of feathers in those regions.

OP
K

kodibloo

Aug 25, 2011
Media
Bremerton, Washington
Parrots
Eclectus, Maui,
Senegal, Erkle
Thanks for all the replies. I did take him to an avian vet who wanted to charge me $1500.00 for some tests. I have had him for over a year and have never seen him pluck. I bathe him and clean his cage often because he is incredibly messy. I think maybe at some point he was a plucker and now they just won't grow right. He exercises a LOT, and is otherwise a happy guy. I had a canary that plucked only his head and was bald as a billiard, he had been on a seed only diet. I too thought it strange Maui's head is normal, living in a cat carrier would definitely be a reason to pluck. I'll just love him anyway!!

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
There are so many things that could caus it. But, if he's healthy in every other way, maybe just roll with it?

These "less than perfect" parrots - or dogs, cats, people - tend to enrich our lives more than any of us could imagine. People who can't see past the "imperfections" make me sad.

Most Reactions

Latest posts