Volunteered at a bird shelter, had a tun of fun!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Dj feathers aviary, I'm pretty familiar with them. I understand them to be not a rescue but a breeding operation. I do sometimes wonder about the condition of a couple of their animals. those [umbrella?] cockatoos on the left wall are crammed into a tiny cage meant for maybe a single Amazon (I should not be taller than a cage intended to house two larger cockatoos), and the self mutilation on a couple of them, plus the couple of bird with messed up beaks. But I try not to judge since I know zero abou these birds history. For all I know they came to this place like that and what a poor life elsewhere and came to the aviary for rehoming. I really do wish they would give the toos a larger cage though.

That said I know The owners hearts are true, they are very kind and generous with their time and knowledge, and I board my bird there when need be. So I do in fact trust them with my boy. I'll never forget the story the guy told me (I've dealt more with Tammy, so I know her, not her husband) about how they time their clutches so that they won't have babies ready around Christmas time to avoid birds being given as Christmas gifts. Mad respect there.

Keep it up!!

Yeah, the cage is mainly for sleeping as they're out mostly 24/7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? I've been many times at different times of the day and they were always in cage.

Last edited:
OP
ahmadses

ahmadses

Apr 14, 2017
Loudoun County, Virginia
Parrots
Two Budgies
Bandit and Sparky after my two favorite characters in a game called Clash Royale
Dj feathers aviary, I'm pretty familiar with them. I understand them to be not a rescue but a breeding operation. I do sometimes wonder about the condition of a couple of their animals. those [umbrella?] cockatoos on the left wall are crammed into a tiny cage meant for maybe a single Amazon (I should not be taller than a cage intended to house two larger cockatoos), and the self mutilation on a couple of them, plus the couple of bird with messed up beaks. But I try not to judge since I know zero abou these birds history. For all I know they came to this place like that and what a poor life elsewhere and came to the aviary for rehoming. I really do wish they would give the toos a larger cage though.

That said I know The owners hearts are true, they are very kind and generous with their time and knowledge, and I board my bird there when need be. So I do in fact trust them with my boy. I'll never forget the story the guy told me (I've dealt more with Tammy, so I know her, not her husband) about how they time their clutches so that they won't have babies ready around Christmas time to avoid birds being given as Christmas gifts. Mad respect there.

Keep it up!!

Yeah, the cage is mainly for sleeping as they're out mostly 24/7.

Really? I've been many times at different times of the day and they were always in contact cage.

It may be during the couple of hours in the morning when she does paperwork?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That is absolutely the way to gain experience with birds.

I learned most of what I know about parrots from volunteering at the bird rescue...

OP
ahmadses

ahmadses

Apr 14, 2017
Loudoun County, Virginia
Parrots
Two Budgies
Bandit and Sparky after my two favorite characters in a game called Clash Royale
That is absolutely the way to gain experience with birds.

I learned most of what I know about parrots from volunteering at the bird rescue...

How long did you volunteer until you thought you were ready?

OP
ahmadses

ahmadses

Apr 14, 2017
Loudoun County, Virginia
Parrots
Two Budgies
More pics from today, I got bit by a greenwing and a harlequin, I'm surprised that I didnt freak out or flinch.
576ab70b0ea8fa4960d9ad4675b1bb09.jpg
f3b8a9fe47d3c837e825b2301d659aa8.jpg

OP
ahmadses

ahmadses

Apr 14, 2017
Loudoun County, Virginia
Parrots
Two Budgies
Everyone here is super supportive which is awesome! I also bought my birds a harness treats and more!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
There was a baby harlequin when I was there last. Cute little bugger. So how bad was the bite damage?

Most Reactions