Waiting on the DNA

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Over the weekend I plucked the feathers from three parrots and sent them to Avian Biotech. They just notified me that they received my samples/order and that it will be another 1-3 days before I can get my information but they also sent me my passcode/number in order to get the information. I am so excited. :D

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
I requested the sample kit from avian biotechlast week I'm still waiting for itto arrive so I can send mine off too. I'm hoping Pumpkin is a boy. I can't wait to find out. What are you hoping for?

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I requested the sample kit from avian biotechlast week I'm still waiting for itto arrive so I can send mine off too. I'm hoping Pumpkin is a boy. I can't wait to find out. What are you hoping for?
Funny - I thought they had forgotten me and not sent it. I found it on my kitchen table...I'm the only one who gets the mail at my house. I had forgotten all about it. Took me days to get the courage to pluck my babies. :p

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Haha that me too i forget everything. Well did they react?

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Haha that me too i forget everything. Well did they react?
Of course. I toweled all three of them...I think by the end of it. I used pliers to get the ones from the Amazon (can't remember if I toweled him in the end or not) and the other two I toweled. I didn't feel bad toweling them...I just felt bad plucking them. :(

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots

I'm hoping plucking Pumpkin doesn't turn into a production... he's not towel trained...

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Well - you could start working on that. The Cockatoo just looks at me now with the evil eye.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
My daughter, vet tech says to avoid using a feather sample, says it is too hard to control bleeding if it goes wrong. Their shop prefers blood sample from a nail.

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots

I heard that the feather sample was preferred because of less bleeding.... ?

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Yay! Can't wait to hear what the results are Mary Lynn!! They are usually pretty fast emailing the results so the wait shouldn't be too bad :) Not like my twin sis who made me wait 15 days after she had gotten the results so that I could open them on Christmas!!!!

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
I have always plucked the feathers and have never encountered a problem with bleeding.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
How exciting! I've only had my U2 tested, she didn't even blink, and there was no blood.

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
I just researched avian biotech and they are located in my little old town Tallahassee. Who would have ever thought that an important company would have headquaters in town. Hmm maybe they would let me go thereto check out how they do it.

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Yay! Can't wait to hear what the results are Mary Lynn!! They are usually pretty fast emailing the results so the wait shouldn't be too bad :) Not like my twin sis who made me wait 15 days after she had gotten the results so that I could open them on Christmas!!!!
That was just mean...but sounds like something a sis would do and especially a twin sis.

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I just researched avian biotech and they are located in my little old town Tallahassee. Who would have ever thought that an important company would have headquaters in town. Hmm maybe they would let me go thereto check out how they do it.
I think you should suggest that they give tours...or do a video.

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I usually clip the nail and put the blood on the card....
The only blood that I saw on Monday was from my own finger after I tried to get Jingle in the shower. I guess plucking his feathers and a shower in one day was just too much. :p For him and me.

Most Reactions