Waking up and bedtime?

C3mommy

Mar 14, 2018
Nampa, Idaho
Parrots
Quaker Parrot- Gamora
How do you guys know when your Quaker is ready to wake-up or do you just uncover when you chose?

Also what about bedtime routine? I have noticed my Gamora seems ready for bed anywhere from 6:30-8:00. Is that normal? :gcc:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I've never owned Quakers, but my cockatiels are uncovered at 6:30am Monday through Friday. Saturday and Sunday it's later, around 8-9am as everyone gets to sleep in.

At night, they are back in cages by 9pm. Ember would sleep on me all night if he could but it's pretty much every night at 9 birds are tucked in. They get half-way covered with their sheet so they know it's time to calm down and get ready for bed, then when hubby and I go to bed around 10, I cover the cage completely and no one makes a peep until morning.

OP
C3mommy

C3mommy

Mar 14, 2018
Nampa, Idaho
Parrots
Quaker Parrot- Gamora
I've never owned Quakers, but my cockatiels are uncovered at 6:30am Monday through Friday. Saturday and Sunday it's later, around 8-9am as everyone gets to sleep in.

At night, they are back in cages by 9pm. Ember would sleep on me all night if he could but it's pretty much every night at 9 birds are tucked in. They get half-way covered with their sheet so they know it's time to calm down and get ready for bed, then when hubby and I go to bed around 10, I cover the cage completely and no one makes a peep until morning.
Should I comletely uncover the cages? I always just uncover front.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels

Should I comletely uncover the cages? I always just uncover front.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

During the day, yes you can completley uncover them. Birds like to look around and stuff, plus they need the good airflow through the cage. I only cover mine completely overnight for sleeping purposes but then once morning comes the sheet is off and I put their play stand on top of their cage.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Ever since the Rickeybird hit sexual maturity at about 3-4 years of age, I've had to manage his hormones! If kept on too steady a long day, and too much light, he stayed "in the mood" (aggressive, even louder than usual, pleasuring himself on my neck ) year round. If I keep him on a natural light schedule... up with dawn, down with dusk, year around... THEN he's only a little monster rooster from July to September). He has his own room, so I can do that easily.
He has a bg cage, so I leave maybe a foot or so covered, so he can hide if he wants... for example, if a predator enters "his" yard.

condobirds

Jul 13, 2018
Depends on my schedule. When I was working they were up by 5:45 and in bed around 9:00 PM. In the morning, I take them out of their cage to feed breakfast on their stand so I get them up in enough time to feed, get their cages ready for the day with fresh chop and clean up after their breakfast. They went to bed a little later because I didn't get home until 6:30. Now, as a retiree, I still get them up early, about 6-6:30 and in bed by 8PM.
They have alot more out of cage time now. I cover at night but during the day, totally uncovered.

Most Reactions