walking vs flying...

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
what do you call a fly with no wings??..A WALK! :p :rolleyes:

OK..sorry folks lol..anyway I think this might have been covered once.

My kids seem to like walking everywhere. Amy doesn't know how to fly,so to get anywhere she bums a ride with me or walks. I can be in my computer room and she will mosey across the living room to get here,climb up "her" chair and hang with me.
Little Beebs can fly,but rarely does. Its funny to watch him. Amy just takes her time,whereas BB runs...often turning in circles,wondering off course,calling for me..his little legs going two-fourty lol.. I found him running down the hall yesterday looking this way and that..calling out for me.
When he saw me he turned right around and ran as fast as he could. Always in a hurry that guy is.
Amy is more like "ya ya...I'm coming" lol.

So...how many fids prefer to foot it than flap?

Jim

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I'm unsure if Rio knew how to walk, he'd fly for the smallest thing.

The one I often watch who walks is Gotcha the cockatoo on youtube. She's hilarious

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017

The one I often watch who walks is Gotcha the cockatoo on youtube. She's hilarious

Gotcha at bathroom door: "I need to go in there! I need to GO!" XD XD XD

Max the cockatoo is very entertaining, too, repeatedly spinning in counter-clockwise circles and saying, "Hi!" There are so many videos of Max. Here's one of him making his toy car run along the floor, showing off his jogging skills:

[ame="https://youtu.be/IjqA0w0aM5c"]Max Has Road Rage - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our DYH Amazon is fully flighted and will fly near everywhere. That said, he will also: "Go Walk About!" and one will find him near anywhere. Especially, when he is checking out new hiding places for his stashes! :D

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Plum will plod around the house but trying as hard as heck to get him flying.

He will at least fly up stairs now instead of climbing, which looked more effort tbh. So no Jim you are not alone. Tip, get that Beebs flying, place him shoulder high on something and call him to your shoulder as a start. It's the best exercise for them.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Our DYH Amazon is fully flighted and will fly near everywhere. That said, he will also: "Go Walk About!" and one will find him near anywhere. Especially, when he is checking out new hiding places for his stashes! :D

Of what may I ask 'boats?:)

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Ducky hates being on the floor and doesn't even know what to do when I put him there. He looks around, takes a few steps and flies right back to me. Kermit is partially clipped, but still always flies to get somewhere. If I put him on the floor, he'll walk around a little bit before flying up to his cage. Bluebell sometimes enjoys foraging on the floor for seeds and things, but never walks when she wants to get somewhere. So my flock prefers flying by far.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

Max the cockatoo is very entertaining, too, repeatedly spinning in counter-clockwise circles and saying, "Hi!" There are so many videos of Max. Here's one of him making his toy car run along the floor, showing off his jogging skills:

[ame="https://youtu.be/IjqA0w0aM5c"]Max Has Road Rage - YouTube[/ame]

i'm a huge fan of Max and Dan lol and a subscriber! :D'

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Our dear Julio will stash dry foods (not very much), foot toys, pieces of larger toys, pieces of things that he disassembles (which makes it a bit of a challenge to reassemble). He has been known to take all kinds of things of ours or at least associated with us. Each 'stash' that we find is like finding a missed Christmas gift! Its always a surprise and joy what will be part of it.

Interestingly, when we find one of the stashes, he's always very helpful in putting 'his' things back in their normal storage areas, tent, or cage. We have one of those tents that sit on the floor and is commonly filled with foot toys, etc... Upon finding a stash, he will carry the foot toys to the tent.

Why: Heck, I haven't a clue why he creates these stashes, he just does. :D

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.

Our dear Julio will stash dry foods (not very much), foot toys, pieces of larger toys, pieces of things that he disassembles (which makes it a bit of a challenge to reassemble). He has been known to take all kinds of things of ours or at least associated with us. Each 'stash' that we find is like finding a missed Christmas gift! Its always a surprise and joy what will be part of it.

Interestingly, when we find one of the stashes, he's always very helpful in putting 'his' things back in their normal storage areas, tent, or cage. We have one of those tents that sit on the floor and is commonly filled with foot toys, etc... Upon finding a stash, he will carry the foot toys to the tent.

Why: Heck, I haven't a clue why he creates these stashes, he just does. :D

To keep you busy of course! He wouldn't want you to get Fatty Liver Disease would he LOL :)

Guess what???? Pics, pleeeaase :)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Parker walks. We will get home and park him on his cage/stand in the living room while we go to the kitchen to prep his and the dog's food. He will often walk to us in there.

Under these circumstances we've nearly stepped on him three times - with all the water and clanking stuff we just don't hear him climb down and over. Combined with a brief foot lunging habit while climbing down to walk over to us on the couch 8 ft away, and I can't abide him walking around anymore. So I've implemented strict training regimen to prevent it. its half working but it's definitely tricky.

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us

that video is brilliant. Amazingly analyzing it everything she says makes absolute sense! She even threatens to scream haha!

I do have to say I love the birdy gallop as I call it

Most Reactions