Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Jon, you must be very proud of this young man, justifiably so! My Mom was wheelchair bound almost my whole life with her, and was not a fighter like your son. Wish him all be best from my family!
Thanks Al. I'm so proud of him. An amazing athlete, and determined to a fault sometimes. He's eating up all the media attention. Another phone interview today for boston.com. it's crazy!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Jon, you must be very proud of this young man, justifiably so! My Mom was wheelchair bound almost my whole life with her, and was not a fighter like your son. Wish him all be best from my family!
Thanks Al. I'm so proud of him. An amazing athlete, and determined to a fault sometimes. He's eating up all the media attention. Another phone interview today for boston.com. it's crazy!

Hahahahaha! If he has to go through all this nonsense to get his shot to compete, he may as well get to enjoy the perks as well! Enjoy that media attention to the fullest, Jonathan!

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Update of the day... The MPA has decided to let him race, sort of. They are proposing to have him run a separate race on a separate course, away from his team, and all other runners. Smells like segregation to me. Obviously not acceptable. The lawyer is ready to proceed, unless things change. Why are they making such a problem out of something so simple?

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
They are definitely making an issue that doesn’t need to exist - why?? Feels like it should be such an easy thing. I hope that the lawyer helps them see the correct resolution....

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Update of the day... The MPA has decided to let him race, sort of. They are proposing to have him run a separate race on a separate course, away from his team, and all other runners. Smells like segregation to me. Obviously not acceptable. The lawyer is ready to proceed, unless things change. Why are they making such a problem out of something so simple?

That's ridiculous! The solution needs to be inclusive. Separate race on a separate course? You could've done that without them on any practice course!

What, is there a tight turn with a significant drop? If so, a temporary, netted, rope off barricade should solve the problem.

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP

That's ridiculous! The solution needs to be inclusive. Separate race on a separate course? You could've done that without them on any practice course!

What, is there a tight turn with a significant drop? If so, a temporary, netted, rope off barricade should solve the problem.
Believe it or not, this particular venue is one of the best courses for him. There are uphill grassy parts, which will be very slow for him, but much of it is well packed and fairly smooth, the terrain where he's at his fastest.

What they propose as a solution amounts to slapping a bandaid on an open gushing wound. We're not done here.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Pathetic passel of bureaucratic buffoons! Just say no to a moldy half-loaf of victory!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Segregation is ridiculous, and not a solution at all. I'm sorry they have turned this into such a battle and I have faith that right is going to prevail. I can't figure out how they do not see this as discrimination.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
So glad to see that this worked out! Great photos of him on the course as well.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
As my parents would strongly say, ‘I’m the key to opening the doors for other wheelchair racers,’” Schomaker said. “It’s not just for me, it’s not just for my team, but it’s for everybody.”
Way to go!!!!! He looks so happy!!

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Congratulations Jonathon and Jon! I am so happy for you. Of course I cried the entire time I watched the video... Happy tears of course. 😭💚

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
He's been eating up the attention. Had his own paparazzi at the finish line. Seriously like six different reporters trying to get his comments, and crowding around him. It was really fun to watch. He did a great job with them.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Way to go Jonathon! Jon I can only imagine how proud you must be of him. What a great race and a great story!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Yesssssssss! Oh, that video just made my morning! Jon, your son is downright inspirational! His determination got tested right off the bat with that first hill, and he blazed through! And to have beaten the time they'd estimated for him by two minutes? Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!? As a former track runner (I was more of a sprinter, but my coaches always forced me to do cross-country for conditioning. Ugh!) I can tell you that's HUGE! A handful of seconds would be impressive enough. But two minutes is crazy!

I was steaming when he had to stop at that intersection, but was somewhat mollified once I learned that they'd at least accounted for the extra time in his final official time stamp.

Question. Was it always the plan that you were going to be running the course alongside him? Because, if so, I'm scratching my head more than ever at the resistance that they'd put up all this time to letting him race. Makes even less sense... not that it made much sense in the first place.

And LOVED his interview! In terms of what this race meant for him personally, what it meant for other wheelchair athletes going forward, and the fact that he regards his teammates as family! Perfect! Please congratulate him for me, again!

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Question. Was it always the plan that you were going to be running the course alongside him? Because, if so, I'm scratching my head more than ever at the resistance that they'd put up all this time to letting him race. Makes even less sense... not that it made much sense in the first place.

And LOVED his interview! In terms of what this race meant for him personally, what it meant for other wheelchair athletes going forward, and the fact that he regards his teammates as family! Perfect! Please congratulate him for me, again!

Yes, the plan has always been for me to run with him, just as I have for every meet, and every practice for the last four years. (Yes, I ride a bike on road work days, since I can't keep up with him lol) That's why we were all so disappointed in the decision to keep him out. Despite being told that this was the case, the MPA turned a blind eye to it, and had never actually attended a meet to see how it works. The tremendous public support was key in changing the outcome. A good day for everyone!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
This made my day!!! I also cried throughout the video, what amazing strength Jonathan has to do that course! His interviews could not have been more perfect.
Stephen said it so well that I can't add much to that except please also congratulate him for me as well.
Jonathan is a hero in my eyes, and so inspiring. I am in awe of him.
Thank you so much for sharing this journey with us.

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
This made my day!!! I also cried throughout the video, what amazing strength Jonathan has to do that course! His interviews could not have been more perfect.
Stephen said it so well that I can't add much to that except please also congratulate him for me as well.
Jonathan is a hero in my eyes, and so inspiring. I am in awe of him.
Thank you so much for sharing this journey with us.
Thank you Terry. I too live in awe of him. Every day. He's the kid that has every excuse to sit back and say, "I can't," but instead chose to say, "I can, and I will!" and found something completely on his own, that he could make his own. He did this. I just helped advocate for what was right.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
....alongside his teammates....

So happy reason prevailed. Congratulations Jonathan, perseverance pays off!!

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Final chapter of our little saga. Yesterday, Jonathan raced in the state meet just as he did last week for regionals. After a solid week of rain, the course was sloppy wet, and muddy, and the morning was 30 degrees. In spite of the conditions, he not only completed his race, but smashed his time, cutting almost three minutes from last week. Job well done my son!

After the team stopped for food, I asked him what he wanted to do. Well... The refuge that my little flock came from was conveniently about two miles from the restaurant, so his request was to go visit some birds. That's my boy! The visit of the day was with Cleo, a sweet little grey. No, not coming home with me, I know my limits, but it was nice to give her some attention and snuggles.
48712211f62de27f1febfce8dfefa427.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts