Wanting to meet others that are "bird crazy"

kayleigh755

Dec 6, 2013
Illinois
Parrots
Quaker parrot (Nettles), cockatiel (Bob), and two budgies (Adam & Eve)
Hi, my name is Brandy and I am looking forward to having others to talk to about my feathered babies. I have a very busy house. A husband, 5 kids, 4 birds, and a chihuahua. We started out with two budgies we foolishly got from Petsmart as a gift for our daughter(13). I have tried everything to calm them and get them to trust me but nothing seems to work. Adam is docile but always looks terrified outside of his cage. Eve will fly to me and sit for short periods of time on my finger but she has a problem with biting even when she has no reason to. I can't let her out with any of the other birds and I feel really bad for her because she seems to want to be around them but she bites everyone. Then there comes Bob, he is my son's(14) 9-month-old cockatiel. He was(is) a very sweet bird. He has become more attached to me than the rest of the family because I stay at home with him all day. He copies most of the things I say including good boy, pretty bird, and give me a kiss. He can also mimic the smoke detector. Last week I brought home my newest baby. S(he) is a quaker parrot I have named Nettles. The breeder I bought her from said she was about three months old. I can't wait for her to be more interested in our family. I think Bob is a little jealous. Any pointers? Sorry such a long post.:greenyellow::whiteblue::grey::green2:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum! I don't have any tips, but wanted to say hi:) I also have a chihuahua, he is 7 and named Chaz. You will be able to get lots of good advice here from these wonderful people who know alot more than me. Would love to see pics!

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Hi ,Kayleigh [your bird names are cracking me up.) I definitely have bird fever [but am not as familiar with smaller breeds [my smallest is a green cheek] You can win over birds though . Just be patient and keep trying. As I got my birds their was some jealousy [just make everyone feels special] I think it helps my birds can see me interacting with everyone [the new ones soon get im the "Bird mom"] Nice to meet you!!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Welcome! This is a awesome forum full of wonderful people :heart: Do you have any photos of your fids(feathered kids)?

Touch training may help you with the trust issues, this is a basic behavior that all parrots should know(in my opinion)
[ame=http://youtu.be/uqtptXFyb2c]How to Target Train Your Parrot | Parrot Training - YouTube[/ame]

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Welcome to the forum!!!

Using food and treats for training can go a long way in earning a birds trust and training them! :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUx81WHTUwk"]1 Bird in hand Leads to Many - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlSm4uFZzVU"]More Budgies!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Well I know that treats have trained ME :) - welcome to the forum Kayleigh

Most Reactions