Wanting to purchase my first feathered friend

RandomGemini

Mar 29, 2019
Washington State
Parrots
Parakeets: George, Grace, Cricket and Sunny
First off, I just want to add that I am new here too and I love that everyone is discouraging you. I have owned birds off and on for 25 years. I have cleaned my house with vinegar the entire time I have owned birds. We use cast iron and no Teflon. I do not burn scented candles. All of these things matter.

I have a sad, cautionary tale for you.

My daughter moved out last year and got her first apartment. She took her 7 year old parakeets with her. In October, she came home from work one night and found one of her parakeets dying and gasping for breath. It was awful. She was heartbroken. She called a vet and they said ā€œWell, it could be old age.ā€ We didnā€™t think 7 was very old for a parakeet. My childhood parakeets lived to be 15. But, we trusted the vet and moved on. A month or so later, she adopted a beautiful Green cheek conure. He went everywhere with her. Then one night, a month ago, she came home and he was lethargic. She called me. I told her to call pet emergency. We learned that there are NO 24 hour avian vet services in our area at all. None. And we learned that this is common in the US. Avian vets are difficult to find. By the time we got a hold of the local veterinary teaching hospital, her GCC had died and her parakeet was displaying symptoms. The veterinary teaching hospital is an hour from us. Sky died in her hands.

A month later, we learned that her next door neighbors were smoking meth in their apartment. The veterinary teaching hospital staff believes this is what killed her birds, all three of them.

These creatures are fragile when it comes to inhaled gasses. Their bodies are insanely more efficient at processing oxygen than ours are. Because of this, gasses that might not be harmful to us, are deadly to pet birds.

I also think that you, at this place in your life, do not have time for a bird. I am not going to encourage you to get a parakeet/budgie. I donā€™t think your residency schedule allows you time for them. It is OKAY to be at this place in your life. It is okay to not be ready for a responsibility. What you are doing is a higher calling, IMO. What you have planned for your future matters. I would love to see you succeed and thrive at that, and then maybe adopt later, when you can provide more stability. Until then, go be awesome. And go volunteer at a bird rescue and learn about these amazing creatures.

Good luck.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
First off, I just want to add that I am new here too and I love that everyone is discouraging you. I have owned birds off and on for 25 years. I have cleaned my house with vinegar the entire time I have owned birds. We use cast iron and no Teflon. I do not burn scented candles. All of these things matter.

My daughter moved out last year and got her first apartment. She took her 7 year old parakeets with her. In October, she came home from work one night and found one of her parakeets dying and gasping for breath. It was awful. She was heartbroken. She called a vet and they said ā€œWell, it could be old age.ā€ We didnā€™t think 7 was very old for a parakeet. My childhood parakeets lived to be 15. But, we trusted the vet and moved on. A month or so later, she adopted a beautiful Green cheek conure. He went everywhere with her. Then one night, a month ago, she came home and he was lethargic. She called me. I told her to call pet emergency. We learned that there are NO 24 hour avian vet services in our area at all. None. And we learned that this is common in the US. Avian vets are difficult to find. By the time we got a hold of the local veterinary teaching hospital, her GCC had died and her parakeet was displaying symptoms. The veterinary teaching hospital is an hour from us. Sky died in her hands.

A month later, we learned that her next door neighbors were smoking meth in their apartment. The veterinary teaching hospital staff believes this is what killed her birds, all three of them.

These creatures are fragile when it comes to inhaled gasses. Their bodies are insanely more efficient at processing oxygen than ours are. Because of this, gasses that might not be harmful to us, are deadly to pet birds.

I also think that you, at this place in your life, do not have time for a bird. I am not going to encourage you to get a parakeet/budgie. I donā€™t think your residency schedule allows you time for them. It is OKAY to be at this place in your life. It is okay to not be ready for a responsibility. What you are doing is a higher calling, IMO. What you have planned for your future matters. I would love to see you succeed and thrive at that, and then maybe adopt later, when you can provide more stability. Until then, go be awesome. And go volunteer at a bird rescue and learn about these amazing creatures.

Good luck.

I think that this may have been intended for a different poster, BUT, the information herein is good. I just am not sure that OP is starting a residency program (although a different poster with similar questions was). That having been said, apartment living etc comes with complications. So sorry for your daughter and so glad that you are cautious!

Welcome, by the way!

RandomGemini

Mar 29, 2019
Washington State
Parrots
Parakeets: George, Grace, Cricket and Sunny
I think that this may have been intended for a different poster, BUT, the information herein is good. I just am not sure that OP is starting a residency program (although a different poster with similar questions was). That having been said, apartment living etc comes with complications. So sorry for your daughter and so glad that you are cautious!

Welcome, by the way!

Yes, it was! Thank you! Still figuring out how to navigate the forum!

RemiBird

Feb 26, 2019

Good luck.

Why do you say that?
Many of us work and still manage to keep our pets happy and healthy.
I actually think that OP sounds like a pretty good potential bird owner, doing all the research and that.

OP
Ezekiell

Ezekiell

Jan 31, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Māui (white bellied caique)

Good luck.

I am sorry for your daughters loss. As a later poster said though I am not starting a residency. I am a fully registered psychologist, finished my internship (residency) more than 5 years ago. I now work in public schools meaning that I am away during the day for 8 hours during term time. I get school holiday periods off (14 whole weeks a year) and usually stay at home. I will be training the bird so it can come with me to my schools in capacity as a therapy bird, Iā€™m lucky in the sense that both my schools have kick started animal programs and the principal is encouraging this.
I have taken peopleā€™s advice here about Teflon. Iā€™ve done an inventory of my house and found that luckily only the cookware needs to be replaced so Iā€™m now searching for some ceramic cookware and a few stainless steel pots. Iā€™m just waiting to hear back from a manufacturer about a cookware set before I but. Iā€™m doing this so any animal I bring home early next year will have a safe home.
As for my living, we have bought a townhouse. We canā€™t be evicted from it. And itā€™s in a small block with a old people and a councillor. Iā€™ve grown up in this area an can definitively say there are no druggies where weā€™ve bought ( I unfortunately know all the drug dens).

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Sunnyclover's first reply on here was spot-on, about the importance of being open to the bird that chooses you. Sounds like you are, and that's perfect. I have a Green cheek conure and an African Grey. GCC are considered a small medium size bird, or a large small bird. ;) Sun Conures are bigger, I'd call them a medium bird. The larger the bird, the louder it is capable of being, in general. However, the quantity of noise varies from species to species and most of all from bird to bird. If your fid is left alone, he'll almost definitely scream a LOT. If he can see you, or if he is out of the cage with you, he's more likely to be quiet or make softer, happier vocalizations.

Be open to the bird that picks you, visit lots of birds, interact with lots. Get the one that you can't stand to say good-bye to. :)

Good luck!!

Most Reactions