Was your conure a planned or unplanned purchase?

Was your conure a Planned or Unplanned Purchase?

• Planned

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • Unplanned

Votes: 19 50.0%

• Total voters

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
LOL Toni! EXACTLY same story - read my thread "Advise ASAP!" We rescued two baby rats and went to the Petsmart to get some stuff for them, and there was that terribly sad, dirty bird with huge deep black eyes. My husband couldn't sleep at night thinking about hat poor birdie… It took me five minutes to find a HUGE cage on craigslist only 3 miles from us (we live in a tiny town), and we headed to the store. Since we couldn't afford him, the manager gave us 30% discount and told us that he was a baby bird totally scared of being put out to the floor! It was all meant to be I guess. Parry is the sweetest thing ever! We had him for a week now and we are so happy that we made that decision.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
planned for both, Kahlua was suppose to be a breeder bird, but turned out to be so beyond tame, loving and cuddly, I kept her as a pet.

I purchased Flare for Kahlua to keep her company :)

Janedeaux

Mar 10, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
Sunday/gold capped hybrid conures: mystic and gypsy
Sun: Paisley
very planned. called the breeder, got on the list, picked him out after hatching, and then waited, and waited. And waited.

my two hybrids were also planned. they were first. I got them for free after calling around to find 1 handtamed Conure. was told I could have them both after they weaned. . . So I waited and waited. and called, and waited.
I finally went to pick them up. after several months and much time I came to realize that mystic and gypsy would never be snugglers. or even prefer to hang out with people. so after a lot of thought I put them in a room, leave them free to fly and keep them healthy and happy. I go in and talk to them, and I can get one kiss from gypsy. lol.
so in order to have the snuggler I wanted originally, I reserved and waited for my paisley. He has been everything I wanted in a Conure. He helped ease the 10 year heartache of losing my first Conure Bailey. (who was an UNplanned gift)

love my Conures. even my non snugglers. gypsy still likes my hair though.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
My conure was planned. Although I originally planned to adopt a sun conure.

Conureloverforlife

Feb 13, 2014
Philadelphia
Parrots
Green cheek Conures
My first ever Green cheek was totally unplanned, after he landed on my cousins head we searched for the owner for months, putting out flyers and whatever we could do to return him. After about a year we were pretty certain they weren't going to be found and at that point I was in total love. Now I have three! The other 2 were very much so planned.

lquan

Nov 6, 2013
El Monte, CA
Parrots
Yellow Sided Conure
My one and only bird, Lily, the Yellow Sided Conure is totally planned. I have no plan to add anymore bird. I have found my sweet dreamed bird!

I had 2 other parrots before when I was very young - a Lilac Amazon and a Blue Budgie. When I was 8 years old I got the amazon for 3 years and had to give him up to a priest who cared for many birds. We had to move half way around the world. I had the budgie when I was 13 and kept him for almost 6 years before he aged and passed away. Fast forward to last year, after got married having 2 boys, and finally got rid of the carpet in the house for laminated wood floor, I can have a parrot again, and let it fly freely in the house as I did with my previous 2 parrots.

So, yes, Lily was totally in my plan for many years. For 4 months, I did tons of research between a conure and aracari. I finally decided on a Pineapple Conure. When I got to the breeder, he has 8 Pineapples and 8 Yellow Sideds. I tried 2 different Pineapples, they all flew off and crashed into the window. When I came back to the cage, put my index finger through the bars, while checking out the rest of the Pineaples, my Lily, the Yellow Sided climbed up to my finger. I knew right away that Lily was for me. She came home with us that day.

OP
Nakiska

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
My one and only bird, Lily, the Yellow Sided Conure is totally planned. I have no plan to add anymore bird. I have found my sweet dreamed bird!

I had 2 other parrots before when I was very young - a Lilac Amazon and a Blue Budgie. When I was 8 years old I got the amazon for 3 years and had to give him up to a priest who cared for many birds. We had to move half way around the world. I had the budgie when I was 13 and kept him for almost 6 years before he aged and passed away. Fast forward to last year, after got married having 2 boys, and finally got rid of the carpet in the house for laminated wood floor, I can have a parrot again, and let it fly freely in the house as I did with my previous 2 parrots.

So, yes, Lily was totally in my plan for many years. For 4 months, I did tons of research between a conure and aracari. I finally decided on a Pineapple Conure. When I got to the breeder, he has 8 Pineapples and 8 Yellow Sideds. I tried 2 different Pineapples, they all flew off and crashed into the window. When I came back to the cage, put my index finger through the bars, while checking out the rest of the Pineaples, my Lily, the Yellow Sided climbed up to my finger. I knew right away that Lily was for me. She came home with us that day.

What an ADORABLE name for her! I'm soo happy you found each other. :rainbow1:

Isn't it funny, how sometimes we think and dream of having one color variation and for what ever reason...it just don't work out because that bird just doesn't pick you. LOVE that you went with your instincts over color. Would love to see pic's of Lily sometime :D

Toni

lquan

Nov 6, 2013
El Monte, CA
Parrots
Yellow Sided Conure
Thanks Nakiska. I don't know if Lily is a girl, but I have strong feeling that she is a girl, because she picked her own name. After she came home with us for a couple of days, we called her all kinds of name, girl's and boy's. Every time one of us said "Lily" she always dropped whatever she was doing and looked at us with full attention.

Lately, everytime I stroke the back of her head, she crouches down still and flickers her wings. She does this as if there is a male bird on her back. And she makes cooing sound while doing this. Now everytime I put my hand over her back she does this. She only does this to me. She is friendly with everyone in the house (4 of us humans). I have try to avoid touching her much and let her perch on me only. It can't be good if she thinks I am her mate.

Attachments

• Beautiful Day.jpg
    Beautiful Day.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 225

Squirt

Oct 13, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Sun Conure (f) Tallulah
Semi-planned. I would go to the bird store a lot with my boyfriend who has a Amazon. She just caught my eye and seemed to like me. I say she picked me. I spent some time with her and really liked her. All night I couldn't stop thinking about her so I did a lot of online research. Went back the next day and put a deposit on her. The owner requires you spent time with the bird multiple times before you can take it home. She also had to be checked by a vet. And then a few weeks later she came home. :)

OP
Nakiska

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
WOW!!! IQUAN Lily is has GORGEOUS color!!

When we got Franklin, we were pretty sure he was a boy and somewhere I read that if you run your finger down their chest bone if it is a male it will stay intact to their vent and if it's a female it will split before their vent. I don't know if this is true or not...but it's true for Franklin and our pigeon...whom I initially thought was a girl and named Belle...but now I know Belle is a he. :D

Thanks for sharing that pic...just gorgeous!!

Toni

meesherbeans

Jan 26, 2014
MD
Parrots
Prince (BCC); Peaches (PFC); Chromie (CBC - hatched Dec/10/2013)
Extremely planned. I've been researching on bird lifestyles, training practices, etc., for more than half a year. I'm very paranoid about not treating a bird properly, haha! Initially I knew I just had to have a green cheek - particularly turquoise. But after seeing that the breeder I was looking into also bred crimson bellied conures, I decided to look into them (as I'd never had heard of that breed before). I fell instantly in love. When we went to go visit our baby bird (we pick him up this Sunday!!!!), he warmed up to us and was shortly cuddling under my hair, near my neck...within half an hour. I just knew right then and there that was the right choice.

Birdbrain91

Dec 6, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Apollo (A bossy YSGCC) Cleo (Sun Conure) Wesley (B&G Macaw)
My green check wasn't planed. We went into Petco because my daughters wanted to look at the Parakeets and there was Apollo rolling over in his cage putting on a show. We fell in love with him. He doesn't roll over any more.

A month later we went back there to get food and there was Cleo the prettiest and sweetest sun conure I've ever seen. We weren't in the position to get another bird so soon. So for another 3 months we would go and visit her before we ended up getter her.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Mine was planned in the sense that I wanted an animal of sorts, but unplanned because I had no idea what I wanted. After doing actual research on birds awhile for my university classes, I fell in love with them. I went to the zoo often to pet and be near the half-blind owl they have. I watched excessive amounts of David Attenborough discussing birds, their life styles, plumage, their quirky little behaviours that I couldn't help but laugh at! Goodness, watch Birds of Paradise on YouTube and you'll understand, haha!

I've always been a dog person though, and I terribly miss my dogs from home. It's been 5 years since I've been at home, and I missed hearing my dog Buddy cry on the step landings (they're not allowed into the basement) so that I would get out of bed to go play with him. So one day my boyfriend and I walked into a pet store to look at dogs to feed my silly fantasies of having a dog despite knowing I couldn't purchase one at the time. That's when I saw Avery. She was absolutely hilarious! She'd crawl upside down in her cage when we were near to get our attention, and I couldn't help but come back every single day to see her. The day before I bought her, she ended up "breaking in" to the cage beside hers so she could heckle the Senegal parrot. I couldn't help but laugh at her mischievous side! She won me over instantly. I researched parrot care as soon as I got home after the first day I met her, and now here we are, almost a year in tow :)

The only thing I didn't expect is the desire to increase your flock... everyone makes fun of he crazy cat ladies, but I'd say us parrot owners are worse, haha! My boyfriend and I already know that we want at least 6 parrots, and we know which species, too! Although knowing us, we're going to end up with many, many unplanned fids along the way!

Nick234

Feb 16, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P feathers(budgie) and zues(budgie)
We are on the waiting list for our Cinnamon GCC at the moment - 5 weeks to go!! WOOOOHO!!!

Initially (coz I havent had a birdie for about 5 years - i sold my fids when I had to put my baby galah down) we wanted to pick "an easy" bird like budgie...which changed to cockatiel but then changed to "something else" that was a bit more challenging.

Lots of research later, I narrowed down my choices to some sort of conure or quaker again..... I've been told no more cockatoos by hubby HAHA

So we then started researching conures, and green cheeks have stolen my heart! We visited an aviary and I play with a bub and an adult, and I"m totally smitten!

Then looked into breeders and we're now on the list :D So little JImmy is totally planned and we are so excited to be birdy parents again!!

LOL this happened to me I was looking to get an easy bird like a bugie but then I looked at a little bigger bird, then a little bigger, and now I'm saving for a GCC

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
Only Scooter was planned, but based on an unplanned event.

I got Rusty because he fell in love with me at the pet store. When he broke his toenail and got infected, I bought his cagemate Scooter.

I later bought Rosie to get her out of an abusive store.

And I adopted Tybbi, who was abandoned and malnourished...

flightless

Feb 8, 2014
Mine was definitely not planned lol, we found our sun conure in the middle of the road last weekend in a half dented cage on it's side. We've tried ads everywhere but nobody is coming forth to claim the lost bird as their own so he's been staying with me.

I'm hoping that with a little attention to detail, the sun conure will recover from it's traumatizing experience and learn to like people again.

Sarah1260

Sep 3, 2013
Unplanned, went to petco to look at snakes and saw this pretty little bird, we were sold immediately :)

JennyB

Mar 27, 2013
Northern Utah
Parrots
Cockatiel - Sunshine - 1990-2014; YSGC Conure - Jellybean - 11 months; Turquoise GC Conure - Jasper - Hatched 1/14
"A" conure was planned, we just hadn't planned to bring one home yet! I had been researching various breeds for my 11 y.o. son when we finally found a breeder we hit it off with. She suggested green cheeks based on my son's short list of MUSTS... be playful, be cuddly, come out of the cage, sit on fingers. (He's easily pleased!) Anyway, we finally made a trip down to visit the breeder and meet her babies, knowing that it would be a couple more weeks before we decided and actually brought a new baby home. Fortunately, Jellybean kind of picked us, and wanted to be held and snuggled the whole time we were there... We even left for lunch to talk things over, and it was the same reaction when we went back for round 2... My son was in LOVE, so back in the car we all went! I think she was just happy to be away from all her crazy brothers and sisters and the center of attention finally!
:rainbow1:

CrazyEyes

Banned
Banned
Feb 15, 2014
Florida
Parrots
Tikki-Mustache Parakeet, Beaker-Sun Conure, Bongo-B&G Macaw
Kind of unplanned. We went to our local rescue to adopt a quaker and the lady had him outside with her and didn't realize he was flighted. He bolted, never to be seen again.
My wife always wanted a sun and after losing the quaker we decided to buy our baby.

Misty15

Oct 4, 2013
Parrots
Pippin a GCC
Mine isn't home yet but hes defiantly planned! I've been doing non stop research for six months now! I can't wait to meet him!

Most Reactions