Mixing a 1y/o GCC with other bird???

jiken8585

Feb 12, 2014
Currently live in Galveston TX, soon to relocate t
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC
Goffin's Cockatoo
I have a GCC who I've raised since he's last days of hand feeding. He's a wonderful boy with that GCC attitude, lol. If you have one you prob know what I mean. Anyway, I am wondering about getting him a friend, a cagemate would be nice but not necessarily a must. Has anyone had experience with introducing a different type of bird (cockatiel, budgie (i've heard they can stand their own)? If so, what suggestions might you have, if any....I'm very curious about this. He's shy towards new things sometimes but is protective of myself and my live in Mom. Please get back to me. -Josh ( and "Kiddo"):rainbow1:

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Jasper- bare eyed cockatoo
My sun conure and my cockatiel will share a play stand but that's about it. None of my birds really seem to enjoy each other or care about each other's presence. I would not cage any of mine together. Their beak size difference is just too concerning. Roommates are bound to fuss and fight at some point i imagine. It may be different with same species birds, but in my experience all they seem to care about is me. Lol

Katiejayne

Sep 30, 2013
Parrots
African grey
Green cheek conure
No I have a green cheek and two budgies and I would never cage them together, my green cheek is too bossy.

ErichT

Jan 5, 2014
Media
Spring Hill,Florida
Parrots
Mango - Sun Conure
Kiwi- Green Cheek Conure
I have a GCC and a sun conure in the same cage. They are like most kids and get along some days but bicker others. I have a fairly large cage so they have there own spaces within it. My GCC can get a bit bossyand is only a yr old. Some days my sun gives me the please get me away look. They also will snuggle up on the same perch for hours.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Another green cheek as a roommate (but not cagemate) would be a wonderful idea. In our home, we have 4 cockatiels, 2 green cheeks, 1 sun conure, 1 budgie and the largest bird is my bare eyed cockatoo. None of the different 'types' interact, except to fight or boss each other around. Its funny when everyone is out at the same time, its like little cliques, each group has their own area they picked (green cheeks on the big boing, cockatiels on back of sofa and table behind sofa, sun usually hangs out with a person and Ivory has perches, boings and toys on her cage and she is there or with a person and not the same one that the sun is hanging with).

The only one who is open to a friendship is my tiny budgie who has such a crush on the female green cheek. And of course she pretends he doesn't exist. Otherwise the green cheeks chase or boss around the cockatiels (they can't be on the same 'out' area), the sun and the male green cheek get way too beaky and dominance positioning. Poor Ivory being the big bird in the house is terrified of everyone and flies to a human for protection if anyone lands on her cage.

I know others have different birds that are friendly for playtime, and I know I worry, but my fear is the beak differences. The green cheeks could easily take off the beak of a cockatiel, the sun could do some serious damage to the green cheeks and probably crush the skull of a cockatiel and the poor budgie, well he's low guy on the totem pole, so everyone can eat him :)

Different variations of green cheeks are super cute together. We have a pineapple girl and a turquoise boy. We would never cage together, no babies for us and honestly the female would probably terrorize anyone who enters her cage, she is quite possessive of her home.

Good luck with your bird search!!

OP
J

jiken8585

Feb 12, 2014
Currently live in Galveston TX, soon to relocate t
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC
Goffin's Cockatoo
Thank you all for your wonderful input! I really appreciate it, I'm still working it out though. I wasn't really wanting to house them together but I wanted them to safely be able to be on the same playstand, on my shoulder, or just plain be near each other. I have been thinking of a cockatiel that is approx 6 months old. My GCC is just over 1 year. Any thoughts on my situation???

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Personally I don't think you'll know until it happens. If a bird it well socialized and isn't over bonded - which I think happens often, especially with GCC's - then it should enjoy a new friend. But I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.

I'm also in the same process, as I plan on purchasing an Indian Ringneck if the breeder's clutch is fertile (fingers crossed!), and my GCC turns 1 next month. She's well socialized and seems to enjoy being with and around other people, but she does love me best. Because of that, I'm worried about jealousy issues and I'm hoping that if I get the IRN young enough, they will get along. I think if you properly socialize both of them, things will be okay. The only other issue you may have is if they bond strongly with each other, leaving you as the outsider. I don't believe it happens often, but it is always a possibility.

Honestly, I would hope for the best and work hard towards ensuring they become very well socialized birds. Don't force them to love each other, and understand it if they never do. Even if they don't, I think having each other to chatter to through out the day is worth it. Also, when you first introduce them, make sure it's always supervised and in a neutral area away from your GCC's cage so that you don't promote territoriality from your GCC.

Good luck! I hope they grow to love each other as much as you will love them :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts