Watery Poop

OP
A

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
She is a squirmy little thing:). I have given her 2 doses so far. She is very well target trained so she actually came up to the syringe and nibbed it straight away as if we were doing a training session. unfortunately she wont hold her beak there long enough for me to shoot it in, so I had to resort to towling her. I didn't want to do this as she isn't real keen on it, but she is getting used to it now (she knows she gets a treat at the end:rolleyes:). Its amazing how much she has changed over the last few days. I haven't seen her this active for weeks. She is very happy and is looking so much healthier and her droppings are looking a lot better. I am so glad I took her to the vet, she obviously wasn't feeling well.

Also, Eddie has calmed down now that Buddy is back, peace has been restored to the village:)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I am so relieved, Buddy has been on my mind all day :)
Glad she is improving, and becoming active again.
The village is alive again.
Ben could I suggest something........ try giving Buddy a bit of cereal (make it watery) with a syringe, every morning.
I still give Mishka formula every morning, 2 20ml, with a syringe. My vet mentioned that besides the goodness in the formula, the continuous bonding process, if ever Mishka is in need of taking med's, I would never have a problem giving it to her.
My prayers are being answered, may she recover quickly.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Very good advice Antionette. I give still give Rosie some warm hand feeding food from a spoon. She will also take fluids from a plastic juice top, spoon or even take a sip of the drops that come out of the spray bottle. A few times I gave her juice in a syringe just so it would not be strange to her. It is good for all parrot guardians to get the bird used to this type of feeding.

clawnz

Banned
Banned
Jun 11, 2010
Media
Aussie Ben, so glad all is well.
It is a worry when a loved one is sick.

Quote:They took samples of her droppings and looked at them closely. They found a small trace of blood but this is not uncommon and after taking a very close look at it, they were not concerned. They were also able to rule out diabetes. He said it was good that I bought her in as she does appear to have an infection, so she will be on antibiotics for the next week (via syringe).

Can I ask if they did a Gram Stain of Pooh? Collecting for one of these should be simple, all I have to do is pick up a fresh dropping and put in a very small plastic bag and take in to my vet. We do this for some of the Fids at the rescue, as it saves taking in a bunch of fids at any one time.

With the syringe is that just a dripper or are you having to inject her?
I know Roxy was starting to get very stressed about catching her twice a day to just put one drop in his mouth.
The other thing is! You will need to bring up the good bacteria in the gut after the antibiotics have destroyed all bacteria. This can be done with pro biotic yogurt. I cannot remember how to spell this one! Aphidofolis.

I know Henry has periods where his pooh is runny, but they only last four or five days, and clear up just as I start to worry.

OP
A

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I might try that cereal thing, its a really good idea and it would help for next time (hopefully there won't be one).

clawnz,

Yes its just a dripper, I'd be horrified to inject her :eek:

I'm not sure if they did a gram stain or not, it will probably be on the invoice (yipee:rolleyes:) which is buried under all this paper somewhere - When I find it I will let you know. I usually do the same as you and just take the dropping down with me, even on a piece of paper sometimes and that is enough. But because her droppings were SO watery they needed to pretty well catch it on the examination pallet, to make sure they could see it all. Otherwise it just soaked in to whateva it landed on.

And I will look into that yogurt. Do your birds just eat it or do you need to feed it directly?

Last edited:

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Stopped in for the daily "Buddy" report, happy to see things are going well, keep up the good work Ben:)

Bob:blue1:

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
I am very glad that your bird is getting better. Probiotics after the antibiotic treatment is finished are necessary but I would use a bird specific one instead of yogurt which is meant for mammals more than birds (I like BeneBac but any avian pro-biotic will do). I would also add a few drops of liquid Milk Thistle to her water from now on. It will help her liver tremendously. Just make sure it's the one that has no alcohol.

OP
A

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Stopped in for the daily "Buddy" report, happy to see things are going well, keep up the good work Ben:)
Bob:blue1:

Cheers, I am very happy :25_coolgu

I am very glad that your bird is getting better. Probiotics after the antibiotic treatment is finished are necessary but I would use a bird specific one instead of yogurt which is meant for mammals more than birds (I like BeneBac but any avian pro-biotic will do). I would also add a few drops of liquid Milk Thistle to her water from now on. It will help her liver tremendously. Just make sure it's the one that has no alcohol.

Thanks Birdamor, I have never done probiotics myself, but I will be doing some serious research into what is available here in Oz - I would feel more comfortable with stuff produced specifically for birds. The Milk Thistle also sounds like a good idea, and considering her medical history will probably help her tremendously. :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Very good advice Antionette. I give still give Rosie some warm hand feeding food from a spoon. She will also take fluids from a plastic juice top, spoon or even take a sip of the drops that come out of the spray bottle. A few times I gave her juice in a syringe just so it would not be strange to her. It is good for all parrot guardians to get the bird used to this type of feeding.

A bird is similar to a toddler, only difference a bird never grows up.
My guys started out with a syringe, now use spoons :rolleyes:
Mishka will always be my "baby" :grey: and always use a syringe.

OP
A

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia

A bird is similar to a toddler, only difference a bird never grows up.
My guys started out with a syringe, now use spoons :rolleyes:
Mishka will always be my "baby" :grey: and always use a syringe.

I remember when Eddie was a birdie baby and I used to spoon feed him. I used to love it so much watching him chug it down - it was so funny, it was sometimes hard to deliver it to his beak because I was laughing so much:D. And no matter how small the scoop was, he would ALWAYS manage to get it all down his front, or all over me lol, such a messy baby.

Buddy is really getting good at having her medicine now. She seems to understand if she just lets me give it to her, it is over and done with and she gets her treat. She even came out of her cage by herself (which she rarely does these days) when it was time to give her the syringe tonight. She has also started flyin more actively - Flying seems less like work and more like fun to her now (I think this is because of the weight she lost). Things are going real well so far.

clawnz

Banned
Banned
Jun 11, 2010
Media

Yogurt is as good as most other forms (Which maybe powder form) from what I understand.
It keeps for around 14days after you open the container. And then you have dossed you Fid you can eat the rest yourself.
I was told to use this by my Avian Vet, who just happens to look after the Fids at Auckland Zoo and our Rescue Fids, so am happy to recommend this to anyone.

Aussie Ben. Milk Thistle is a common weed here in NZ and I would think you can find it in weed patches in Aussy as well. Maori have always eaten it. You should not need to go to a health shop to buy it.
As with most things 'Fresh is best', consentrations made by man will only ever come a very poor second in my book.

Anyway the most important thing here is that your baby is getting better.
Keep up the good work.

PS If you have not tried sprouting, try Mung Beans, they are packed with healthy goodies and once you get your Fids on to them they will love them as well.

Roxy in this pic is tucking into them. And you can tell she is enjoying them.
IMG_3622.jpg

Last edited:
OP
A

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Thanks again clawnz.

I have not tried sprouting. I have a friend that has some aviaries and he does it a lot - his birds seem to enjoy it, so I am keen to give some to my teil. I love the pic of Roxy btw.

This forum is filled with such great information. I think joining it is one of the best thigs I have ever done for my birds

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010

Yogurt is as good as most other forms (Which maybe powder form) from what I understand.
It keeps for around 14days after you open the container. And then you have dossed you Fid you can eat the rest yourself.
I was told to use this by my Avian Vet, who just happens to look after the Fids at Auckland Zoo and our Rescue Fids, so am happy to recommend this to anyone.

Aussie Ben. Milk Thistle is a common weed here in NZ and I would think you can find it in weed patches in Aussy as well. Maori have always eaten it. You should not need to go to a health shop to buy it.
As with most things 'Fresh is best', consentrations made by man will only ever come a very poor second in my book.

Anyway the most important thing here is that your baby is getting better.
Keep up the good work.

PS If you have not tried sprouting, try Mung Beans, they are packed with healthy goodies and once you get your Fids on to them they will love them as well.

Roxy in this pic is tucking into them. And you can tell she is enjoying them.
IMG_3622.jpg

I agree 100% that fresh is better (I don't even feed pellets precisely because of that reason) but IMPE that tenet only works if you are rounding up a good balanced diet because, when you are talking about ingesting a substance for medicinal purposes, you need to ensure a certain dosage every day and I really don't know how you can do that by feeding birds fresh produce.

For one thing, when it comes to milk thistle, it's not the leaves that provide the beneficial substance for liver cleansing (silymarin), it's the seeds and those are not that easy to find when harvesting from the wild aside from the fact that this is an annual or biennal plant so you would only have seeds once a year or once every two. Mind you, it's not as if I am against giving Buddy fresh milk thistle because I am not! But, when a bird has liver damage, you need high dosages of silymarin on a regular basis (low dosages don't work) and, to achieve that, I can't think of any other method than to add it to their water or put it directly into their beak (which I think would be impractical on a very long term basis). But what can be given fresh which is also good for the liver is fresh dandelion greens all year round and the entire plant (with the roots and flowers) whenever available (dandelion root is also excellent for liver damage).

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Hey Ben, haven't heard about Buddy in the last few days, hows she doing?

OP
A

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Hey Ben, haven't heard about Buddy in the last few days, hows she doing?

She is doing really well thanks. She only has one more dose of antibiotics to go tonight. Again all I can say is that I'm amazed at how well she is looking. She is flying so much and following me everywhere. She seems a lot happier. I think on some levels giving her the medicine has helped me to re-bond with her. She is making hardly any fuss now with being handled. She has put on a couple of grams, but I expected this. Ever since she lost that large amount of weight i have been giving her just a little extra food. She was at 90g when she came home from the hospital and now she is 94g. She is fairly big for a tiel, but at a healthy weight for her build. :)

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I know this a Buddy thread but for both her and Eddie sprouts are excellent. I give them to shadow for dinner every night she loves them and they are pack full of nutrients. Once you get into the habit it's really easy to do

Last edited:

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
I also feed my budgies via syringe everday. You should see them fighting over it! They either get formula or plain water. Even Skye will come over for his 'daily dose'. It makes worming a whole lot easier.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Great to hear Ben!!!, I'm glad all is going well:)

OP
A

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Thanks all, Buddy has had her last dose of medication and I think we are good for now.

Mel, :D we can talk about Eddie too - Always looking to improve both their diets. I might go get some sprouts next week.

Ratzy, Buddy is real used to the syringe now. Only problem was she didn't like the taste of the medicine, so she usualy clammed up after one or two nibbles lol. I should put something tasty in there now so she learns to love it.

Bobby, I'm glad its all going well too - I have my little Buddy back now :D

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
I know this a Buddy thread but for both her and Eddie sprouts are excellent. I give them to shadow for dinner every night she loves them and they are pack full of nutrients. Once you get into the habit it's really easy to do

Please, please be careful with sprouts! I know they are all the fad nowadays among bird people and it is true that they are full of nutrients but they are also VERY high in protein - as a matter of fact, they are usually higher than the seed they come from. And they are also the breeding food par excellence! Sprouts, in nature, only happen at the beginning of spring in temperate climates and after the rainy season in tropical areas and that is the breeding season for wild birds. And one of the reasons why it is breeding season is because of the availability of high protein food (as sprouts are). They don't usually happen at any other time of the year and birds do not eat them all year round.

Most Reactions