Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Buzz loves would toys and decimates them so I've been giving him lots to sink his beak into. A couple of days ago Buzz finally chopped a large wood block toy and I heard it crash, but heard desperate wings. I found him hanging by his beak, one toe caught in the chain that was holding the toy, toy on the bottom.

Buzz is looking me, I'm looking at him, Buzz was thinking don't touch me, I'm thinking OK how are we going to address this. Buzz doesn't like to be touched. So I spoke to him telling it's going to be ok, didn't move fast, reached and was able to pull his toe out of the chain. He quickly started flapping, righted himself and ran to his favorite perch and he didn't growl at me. I think I earned a brownie point with him, or maybe half of one lol.

During his struggle he lost a primary wing feather. Looking at the shaft, I believe he got it stuck in the struggle and it was pulled out because the shaft had blood on it, see below. I kept an eye on him, no bleeding so he's good and has been doing good. He has even started setting on a perch close to me.

559a9dc321e714e06e9b3cdb9e4a6a88.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Phew, that was close! I liked the "No sad ending" in the title :) I'm sure GaleriaGila will appreciate that too! Poor Buzz, glad he let you help him and hopefully trusts you a bit more now you are his hero!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Yes I let out a GASP when I first read the subject,then a "pheewwwwfff" after seeing the "no sad ending" ;)

A long long time ago,one day the cable tv guy came to the house,and Smokey was out with my brother Tommy ( RIP Brother :() and for whatever reason, Smokes got scared/frightened and RAN to my brother and actually let Tommy hold/comfort her.
Now you all have read me posting on how Smokey was never a hands-on-touch-me sort of Grey,but this day she sought comfort and protection from the big 'ol scarry tv guy :eek::rolleyes:

I think Buzz understood that you were there to help in his time of need Trace,maybe this will be a turning point for the two of you??

Jim

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Is that feather blue?

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Is that feather blue?

No it's black or dark gray. It's the feather at the tip of the wing and he looks a bit lopsided now.

Jim, I believe he's got a little more trust now. He has been sitting closer to me and eating too close to me, definite progress. Smokes was an amazing fid with spunk! I love hearing her stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Wow, happy to hear of a happy ending! It is almost impossible to anticipate every way our intelligent fids can alter their environment in the blink of an eye. Thankfully you came to the rescue, a concept absolutely understood by Buzz.

A welcome silver lining indeed!

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
I think these birds are intelligent enough to know when it is OK or a good thing for us to come to grab them despite them often not wanting to be touched. They know when they need help we are there to help.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The feather appears to be fairly new and although no longer a 'blood feather' it has not fully separated from it's supply. If there was any blood, it was very limited. All Good News!

Happy that you also had been able to gain, well let's hope for, a full brownie point! :D

Most Reactions