Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Venus gets 1/3 of a large scrambled egg every two weeks. Buddy use to get the rest but now Buzz gets a third too, so each bird gets a third. Typically when I make them eggs, I mix in brown rice and bell pepper, heavy on the pepper and light on the rice. Since Venus is vitamin A deficient I feed her a lot of colorful veggies and fruits like red and orange bell pepper, baked yams, grated carrot (not her fave), kale, peas, green beans, berries, melon, nectarine, peaches, cherries, fig, pomegranate (her absolute favorite but high in vit C), a wide mix of veggies and fruits.

I have cut back on portions so food isn't as available. This is a tactic to encourage no laying and seems to be working. She has also started bathing on her own which is excellent. However some things that have changed, if she is out of her cage, she has to stay with me. Typically this is on my shoulder. If she starts preparing dinner (regurgitating) back to her cage. I am still trying to figure out how she opened the lock on her main door but I also attached a bull clip at the top of the door where she can't reach it to clamp the the door shut. She's very smart which is also scary to a point.

Sadly she hasn't played on her playtop or with her mat in months. She will beak wrestle and play the tissue game but that is about it while on my lap. If I place her on her playtop I end up diverting her from climbing down her cage to run for a dark spot.

Gladly she is not screaming as much but still has her moments. When that starts I plug my headphones in my ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
i admire your tenacity and willingness to work with Venus. From what little I know, the "bird" I rescued that died 2 days later was passed to the Macaw breeder because of egg laying issues and the owner couldn't deal with it. It was a senseless death of a sweet bird because no one (breeder included) could be bothered to work with her. Again, kudos to you, I know you have to be frustrated beyond all measure but any pet in your care is a very lucky pet!

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
i admire your tenacity and willingness to work with Venus. From what little I know, the "bird" I rescued that died 2 days later was passed to the Macaw breeder because of egg laying issues and the owner couldn't deal with it. It was a senseless death of a sweet bird because no one (breeder included) could be bothered to work with her. Again, kudos to you, I know you have to be frustrated beyond all measure but any pet in your care is a very lucky pet!

Thank you. I love her to bits. She is the best mannered bird out of my three. My nieces and nephews love her and know they can interact with her. Venus is going no where ever!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Was that your first bloodletting from Venus, Tracey? Yeah, the first time is always a shock to the system... especially since they don't always put their warnings out in bright neon lights for us to see.

Maya has only drawn blood from me once, during a hormonal rampage, but I can tell you that once was enough. You got off easy, my friend. She incised a good sized chunk from my thumb! So not cool.

Though then again, what Venus' bite lacked in intensity, she's obviously more than made up for in hormonal duration.

You are doing such a fantastic job with her. Cutting down on her portions was a very good idea. I'd forgotten to mention that I don't free feed, which also likely helps cut down on the hormonal duration. I simply give two generous fresh feedings, morning and evening. And treats during training. I'm glad to see that reduced portions seems to be making a difference. Free feeding probably simulates conditions when a wild ekkie hen would simply lounge in her nesting hollow as her determined harem of male suitors bring her food all day. Lol!

I love the diet you've set for her. Is she still reading as Vitamin A deficient? And a third of a scrambled egg every 2 weeks isn't bad, I don't think. I've reduced it to a largely once a month deal, but I know there are people who feed eggs weekly or even daily, and I think that can be dangerous in the long term.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I second all the kudos! Hang in there!

I wear my hair DOWN when the RB is on the loose. Otherwise I risk ear-nips for various misbehaviors on my part. He has 3 basic bites. One is a nip, no blood, hardly a mark. Second is a sharp pinch, leaves a nickel-size bruise. Third is a bite and grind and that draws blood and really hurts. I haven't had the third in about 20 years, because I have learned how to behave, not the bird!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Was that your first bloodletting from Venus, Tracey? Yeah, the first time is always a shock to the system... especially since they don't always put their warnings out in bright neon lights for us to see.

Maya has only drawn blood from me once, during a hormonal rampage, but I can tell you that once was enough. You got off easy, my friend. She incised a good sized chunk from my thumb! So not cool.

Though then again, what Venus' bite lacked in intensity, she's obviously more than made up for in hormonal duration.

You are doing such a fantastic job with her. Cutting down on her portions was a very good idea. I'd forgotten to mention that I don't free feed, which also likely helps cut down on the hormonal duration. I simply give two generous fresh feedings, morning and evening. And treats during training. I'm glad to see that reduced portions seems to be making a difference. Free feeding probably simulates conditions when a wild ekkie hen would simply lounge in her nesting hollow as her determined harem of male suitors bring her food all day. Lol!

I love the diet you've set for her. Is she still reading as Vitamin A deficient? And a third of a scrambled egg every 2 weeks isn't bad, I don't think. I've reduced it to a largely once a month deal, but I know there are people who feed eggs weekly or even daily, and I think that can be dangerous in the long term.

Stephen, hi, I am intrigued by the information here regarding feeding eggs. Have you any information to hand that I could read relating to the long term effects? I am sorry to deviate on here but this has caught my attention and want to know more. :)

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Stephen she's gotten me before and she means business. Her food is her food, don't touch it! Then when her hormones are going nuts that's her other trigger. I have scars on the back of my hands from her and she's the only fid that has drawn blood. A few weeks ago she was hanging by a toe from Buddy's cage. She was trying to open his food door to get his food about to fall so I kindly put my hand out for her to step up on but she started ripping the back of my hand. I thought she was trying to get her footing so it took me a few seconds to realize she was purposely biting me. I was too close to the food she was going after and the look I got, WOW!

The worst bite was from a macaw, a green wing. I'd visit him when I would go get pet supplies and he would step up but one day after he stepped up, he stepped down, put his foot out to step up but instead grabbed my wrist and slowly squeezed and my nerve went numb. Didn't break the skin but I lost feeling in that hand for most of the day and had a serious bruise. I said "Ow" and that punk looked me in the eye and says "Ow" lol! He did get sold but was returned 8 months later, lol!!! He was a stinker.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oh, I forgot... the Rickeybird is not as smart as he thinks he is. He will often yell NO a nanosecond before he bites. If you're quick, you can escape!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
...Stephen, hi, I am intrigued by the information here regarding feeding eggs. Have you any information to hand that I could read relating to the long term effects? I am sorry to deviate on here but this has caught my attention and want to know more. :)

Sure thing, K.

Basically, excess cholesterol can have a similar effect on our birds that it has on us, namely a thickening of the inner layer of arterial walls known as arteriosclerosis. Atheromatous plaque deposits build, gradually decreasing the internal circumference of the afflicted arteries and increasing the cardio work needed for the circulation of blood throughout the body.

That said, I'm glad that you asked me about more information on this. In addition to looking at stuff I'd already seen, I also got caught up reading more about the risk factors specifically attributed to eggs. And what I found was rather interesting. Eggs in moderation are actually a good source of nutrition for birds, particularly when hard boiled rather than fried. This wasn't a surprise to me, though I did find that my particular idea of what might be considered "moderation" might be somewhat on the strict side.

Apparently, once every week or two might be okay, as eggs are not quite so high a contributor to plasma cholesterol as I'd previously believed. Saturated fats are a far greater danger in that regard.

However, given that most studies don't seem as certain as I'd like regarding the degree of danger represented specifically by eggs, as well as the high level of protein and the cholesterol present (though apparently not of the most dangerous kind) I personally won't be increasing the amount I currently feed my birds. The risk to reward ratio just isn't worth it to me.

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
http://www.dvm360storage.com/cvc/pr...owers/Powers, Lauren_Silent_killer_STYLED.pdf

And in the article attached to the 3rd link, pay special attention to the study referenced on page 56 regarding the African Grey that had eaten a hard boiled egg every day for three years. The author of the study found that he suffered from severe, cholesterol-induced atherosclerosis. (A form of arteriosclerosis with a characteristic buildup of atheromatous deposits.) An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Of course the amount of egg in that example is on the extreme side, but the link to atherosclerosis is established to enough of a degree that I opt to err on the side of caution.

EDIT: Despite the links mentioning an error in the cookies or some such, the links are working just fine. (At least, for me. Let me know if there are any issues.)

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
...Stephen, hi, I am intrigued by the information here regarding feeding eggs. Have you any information to hand that I could read relating to the long term effects? I am sorry to deviate on here but this has caught my attention and want to know more. :)

Sure thing, K.

Basically, excess cholesterol can have a similar effect on our birds that it has on us, namely a thickening of the inner layer of arterial walls known as arteriosclerosis. Atheromatous plaque deposits build, gradually decreasing the internal circumference of the afflicted arteries and increasing the cardio work needed for the circulation of blood throughout the body.

That said, I'm glad that you asked me about more information on this. In addition to looking at stuff I'd already seen, I also got caught up reading more about the risk factors specifically attributed to eggs. And what I found was rather interesting. Eggs in moderation are actually a good source of nutrition for birds, particularly when hard boiled rather than fried. This wasn't a surprise to me, though I did find that my particular idea of what might be considered "moderation" might be somewhat on the strict side.

Apparently, once every week or two might be okay, as eggs are not quite so high a contributor to plasma cholesterol as I'd previously believed. Saturated fats are a far greater danger in that regard.

However, given that most studies don't seem as certain as I'd like regarding the degree of danger represented specifically by eggs, as well as the high level of protein and the cholesterol present (though apparently not of the most dangerous kind) I personally won't be increasing the amount I currently feed my birds. The risk to reward ratio just isn't worth it to me.

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
http://www.dvm360storage.com/cvc/pr...owers/Powers, Lauren_Silent_killer_STYLED.pdf

And in the article attached to the 3rd link, pay special attention to the study referenced on page 56 regarding the African Grey that had eaten a hard boiled egg every day for three years. The author of the study found that he suffered from severe, cholesterol-induced atherosclerosis. (A form of arteriosclerosis with a characteristic buildup of atheromatous deposits.) An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Of course the amount of egg in that example is on the extreme side, but the link to atherosclerosis is established to enough of a degree that I opt to err on the side of caution.

EDIT: Despite the links mentioning an error in the cookies or some such, the links are working just fine. (At least, for me. Let me know if there are any issues.)

Stephen, THANK YOU! I will take the time to sit and read the information gratefully provided. The links were fine btw.

Egg - Over here there was a real who ha concerning eggs and cholesterol levels some years ago but recently that has changed and reversed. Concerning Plum, this is the only real source of protein he will accept, won't try chicken or fish. I do make sure it is very hard boiled and this is given once every 7-10 days approximately. He does receive some rice, grains, pasta but I try to be careful with these as I am constantly watching his weight ha ha :)

Thanks again very much appreciated.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
You are so very welcome!

And yes, there appears to have been quite the revision over here as well. Last time I'd researched it, eggs were much more definitively the devil. Lol!

I think once every 7 days or so should be fine, especially given the new stuff I read yesterday.

As for sources of protein, does Plum turn up her nose at beans and such as well?

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
You are so very welcome!

And yes, there appears to have been quite the revision over here as well. Last time I'd researched it, eggs were much more definitively the devil. Lol!

I think once every 7 days or so should be fine, especially given the new stuff I read yesterday.

As for sources of protein, does Plum turn up her nose at beans and such as well?

Hi Stephen :), no Plum doesn't turn his beak up at beans as they are integrated into his chop - fed separately, yes he does! Unfortunately for me he has a very short list of what foods he thinks are acceptable :(. He certainly tests the patience, one reason why I have been so c8ck-a-hoop re Chris's chop recipe - it works! (Most of the time) :) He'd just be happy with egg and chips each and every day IMO LOL.

Readers NB (No it isn't what I feed him) :)

Most Reactions