chaperone responsibilities

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
Hi all,

So Pebbles and Gizmo have been, well lets call it going on a few dates lately (last few months). I honestly think Gizmo is too young at the moment, Pebbles is making all the moves and Gizmo has no idea what to do.

So I have no intention of trying to breed eclectus parrots (I know enough to know I don't know enough), but I am a bit unsure as to what if anything I should do at this stage. My concerns are Gizmo & Pebbles have gotten along fairly well and I can have always had them both out of the cage together (there is the occasional squabble, but nothing too great), and I am wondering how or if the current courting can be controlled to ensure that they remain friends?

I guess my other question would be, assuming Gizmo remains ignorant and doesn't learn how to "play baseball", how long is it likely to be before Pebbles hormones settle back down, or do I need to be on the lookout for eggs?

Do I need to do anything, or just let them carry on until they are over it? It's not like they are inseparable when out of the cage, they still interact with their environment and us, so I have been of the mindset that it's something natural for them and I should let them go through the process.

Cheers,

Cameron

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Ha! I'll be watching this thread for sure. Husband and I have been looking for information on how long the female hormonal period is but haven't found any time frames. This is our first, true, hormonal period with her. Today she lifted her tush at Husband and I had him walk away from her, not acknowledging her behavior. She did this to me earlier this week so I was surprised that she doesn't care who she flirts with, what a hooch, lol.

Has Pebbles been trying to make a nest? Venus was under the couch, not the boxes I gave her. She destroyed the boxes but to keep her from roaming I've locked her in her cage at night and when I'm not there. She knows to stay on her cage when I'm home but as soon as I'm gone and she's not locked in her cage she's off!

OP
camo

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
doesn't care who she flirts with, what a hooch, lol.

Has Pebbles been trying to make a nest?

I have been following your posts with great interest. Venus sounds like a character...lol

I had a similar incident to your husband last week with Pebbles. I was reaching over her to get a toy, and at first I thought she was just ducking under my arm, it took a few seconds to realise she was lifting her tush...lol.

Pebbles has not been nesting (probably due to lack of available material, as I rightly or wrongly have been keeping nesting stuff to a minimum), but she is constantly looking for nesting sites. She is not a confident flyer, so flies to me and then as I walk around she tries to show me what she is interested in. The gap above the fridge, an unfinished door frame, the black tiles in the bathroom. If it doesn't look like a potential nesting hole, she will try to bite it and see if it will make good nesting material...lol

I definitely feel like I am in uncharted waters, my hope is I don't do or not do something that changes the long term dynamic between Gizmo and Pebbles as they really have for the most part got along together. I would hate to be in a situation where they didn't feel comfortable being out of the cage together.

Cheers,

Camo

Most Reactions

Latest posts