Weaning problems

Mirlito

Feb 9, 2013
Costa del Sol, Andalucía, Spain
Parrots
Poppy - Crimson Bellied Conure
I have had Poppy weaned from her NutriBird formula since the last 4 weeks and since the last 3 days she has only wanted nothing by fruits (not eating her pellets) and now she is crying (with the wing movements and meep) wanting to be fed. Is this normal or should we be worried? I am concerned, i´ve tried to pretend I am eating the pellets again and even trying her on the fruits again, she is eating a little bit of the grapes again but shes not her usual self even sleeping on her perch and not her hammock.

Her food is always at the highest point in the cage too and fruit on the bottom.

Please help :(

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I have had Poppy weaned from her NutriBird formula since the last 4 weeks and since the last 3 days she has only wanted nothing by fruits (not eating her pellets) and now she is crying (with the wing movements and meep) wanting to be fed. Is this normal or should we be worried? I am concerned, i´ve tried to pretend I am eating the pellets again and even trying her on the fruits again, she is eating a little bit of the grapes again but shes not her usual self even sleeping on her perch and not her hammock.

Her food is always at the highest point in the cage too and fruit on the bottom.

You mentioned : she is not being herself sleeping on her perch and not her hammock.
Are there any changes in her dropping, looser, more runny etc?
It is normal for baby's to sleep quite a lot, but have you noticed she is sleeping more than usual?

Bird go through stages just like us humans not wanting certain foods.
How big are the pellets? if quite big try breaking them up a bit, just a suggestion.

I would continue given Poppy formula, just to make sure she is eating enough, besides the fruit, until she begins to eat the pellets.

If there is not a change say within a day or two, I would visit the vet and let them check her out.

Hopefully other members will add their valuable input

:grey:

Last edited:
OP
Mirlito

Mirlito

Feb 9, 2013
Parrots

You mentioned : she is not being herself sleeping on her perch and not her hammock.
It is normal for baby's to sleep quite a lot, but have you noticed she is sleeping more than usual?

How big are the pellets? if quite big try breaking them up a bit, just a suggestion.

I would continue given Poppy formula, just to make sure she is eating enough, besides the fruit, until she begins to eat the pellets.

If there is not a change say within a day or two, I would visit the vet and let them check her out.

Hi Antoinette,

Her droppings have been loose like the colour of water with some green because she has only been eating the fruit in her bowl though I think i´ve been giving her far too much. She is screaming more for her formula and eating slowly flapping her wings making her hungry noises.

Her pellets aren´t huge, she was eating them fine for 4 weeks. Ever since we started her on grapes shes turned very strange only wanting her formula this was only since Thursday when we gave her them to eat, which were 5.

She is really hyper in the morning and in the evening too and always desperate for the formula, she isn´t playing but resting. She is drinking fluids too.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I would say just feed her what she will eat. If she wants and take the formula, just try and feed her with a spoon. You can puree cooked veggies and mix it with the formula. She needs to be weighed daily. How much does she weigh now? They also are fond of eggs so you can mix a bit in formula as well. Then add more and more veggies and less formula. She needs to be eating more solid food and less fruits.

OP
Mirlito

Mirlito

Feb 9, 2013
Parrots
Can she eat only mashed potatoes with peas? I tried her on that yesterday but she didnt eat much. Will try her on eggs again.
I hope she will start to eat her pellets again soon, she was doing so well eating them for approx 3-4 weeks.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Can she eat only mashed potatoes with peas? I tried her on that yesterday but she didnt eat much. Will try her on eggs again.
I hope she will start to eat her pellets again soon, she was doing so well eating them for approx 3-4 weeks.

I don't understand. Mash potato and peas only? NO. I mean: corn, green beans, broccoli, carrot, peas, yams, beans, kale etc..all of those together made into a mash.....Your bird need fresh food. Not just pellets.

Regular white potato is not great for them, better sweet potato.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

Hi Antoinette,

Her droppings have been loose like the colour of water with some green because she has only been eating the fruit in her bowl though I think i´ve been giving her far too much. She is screaming more for her formula and eating slowly flapping her wings making her hungry noises.

Her pellets aren´t huge, she was eating them fine for 4 weeks. Ever since we started her on grapes shes turned very strange only wanting her formula this was only since Thursday when we gave her them to eat, which were 5.

She is really hyper in the morning and in the evening too and always desperate for the formula, she isn´t playing but resting. She is drinking fluids too.

I agree with Echo feed her what she will eat.
I was reading up on their diets.......
There is so much to offer Poppy

Diet:
Fruits such as: apple, pears, oranges, bananas, pomegranate, cactus fruits, forming about 30 percent of the diet; vegetables such as: carrots, celery, green beans, peas in the pod; fresh corn, green leaves such as: Swiss chard, lettuce, dandelion, chickweed, spray millet; seed mix such as: canary, millet and smaller amounts of buckwheat, oats, safflower and a little hemp; limited soaked and sprouted sunflower; cooked beans and pulses and boiled maize; limited cubed hard cheese; complete pellet.

Let us know what the vet had to say

Last edited:
OP
Mirlito

Mirlito

Feb 9, 2013
Parrots
I do not have scales I have just moved into this house and we need to buy them. She was eating absolutely fine until the last few days.

I have hardly slept with worry. Poppy never ate any of her formula this morning but was crying for it like she couldn´t eat it. 2 hours later she was making regurgitation actions but nothing was coming up, sneezing too. She just wants to sleep on me (cuddling into my neck all the time) which is totally abnormal. We need to take her to a vet ASAP though nearby it seems we have only "normal" vets they do not specifically deal with birds only. We have even contacted the breeder as we are so worried. Do you think it is a yeast infection? Her droppings are a bit more watery too.

I just hope it´s nothing serious I am beside myself with worry :(

P.S When I mentioned mashed potatoes etc I meant for yesterday, that was the only food that we had after all this moving.

What should I give her just now as she isn´t eating?

:(

Last edited:

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Poor thing(both of you), you must be sick with worry! I wish I was able to help more, just feed her what she'll eat until you find a vet that can see her and knows birds :(

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I do not have scales I have just moved into this house and we need to buy them. She was eating absolutely fine until the last few days.

I have hardly slept with worry. Poppy never ate any of her formula this morning but was crying for it like she couldn´t eat it. 2 hours later she was making regurgitation actions but nothing was coming up, sneezing too. She just wants to sleep on me (cuddling into my neck all the time) which is totally abnormal. We need to take her to a vet ASAP though nearby it seems we have only "normal" vets they do not specifically deal with birds only. We have even contacted the breeder as we are so worried. Do you think it is a yeast infection? Her droppings are a bit more watery too.

I just hope it´s nothing serious I am beside myself with worry :(

P.S When I mentioned mashed potatoes etc I meant for yesterday, that was the only food that we had after all this moving.

What should I give her just now as she isn´t eating?

:(

OMG I can just imagine how worried you are WE ALL ARE
Please give her anything she will eat..
Try the forumula as well, as there is a lot of goodness in it.
Please try get her to the vet a.s.a.p.

PRAYING FOR POPPY

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh my gosh! I hope it's nothing serious, I really do.

Do you have millet? Many birds LOVE millet and can't resist it.

OP
Mirlito

Mirlito

Feb 9, 2013
Parrots
It turns out she has a kidney infection according to the vet. He prescribed antibiotics and vitamins for her. I had to inject a small piece of grape and feed her it, she ate every bit which is great. She´s to be quarantined with a cover over her cage. If she isn´t better by 5pm i´ve to take her back but I am trying to think positive.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
It turns out she has a kidney infection according to the vet. He prescribed antibiotics and vitamins for her. I had to inject a small piece of grape and feed her it, she ate every bit which is great. She´s to be quarantined with a cover over her cage. If she isn´t better by 5pm i´ve to take her back but I am trying to think positive.

AAAAWWW!!! Poor baby Poppy. :( Did the vet do a stool and blood sample?

I'm glad you got her to eat all the meds in the grape. Yes, positive thoughts. I'll be sending you some of those as well.

And thanks for the update.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

Oh shame poor Poppy
Praying there is an improvement

Hugs to Poppy (and you ) x x

OP
Mirlito

Mirlito

Feb 9, 2013
Parrots
Thanks everyone, he examined her eyes, nostrils, stomach (all of her) and her stools. He said it was a bacterial infection that had moved to the kidneys.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Praying for fast recovery Poppy!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Poor baby! My sister once had a kidney infection, started as a bladder infection and she refused to go to the hospital(thinking that cranberry juice would cure it lol). She spent two days in the hospital and was in a lot of pain.

Give Poppy lots of love, poor thing must be just miserable.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hope Poppy is doing better today
In my thoughts and prayers

OP
Mirlito

Mirlito

Feb 9, 2013
Parrots
Hi everyone Poppy is much better. Called our local and avian vets and both said we can give her antibiotics directly but because they are so bitter they had recommended putting the dosage into the fruit because it was easier to take however, we were told that it is ok to do so directly and she absolutely hates it poor wee Poppy. Though afterwards she likes to eat her formula and fruits. She is eating normal again and sleeping a lot but I was told this is normal for her as R n R is very important.

We are absolutely relieved, the breeder was asking for her and is pleased that she is getting better :)

Most Reactions