Week 2 w/ my B&G, made a gym & a few ??'s

Bird Brain

May 18, 2011
Hello All

So I've had my new fid for 11 days and so far it's even better than I expected. I got him off craigslist, so I guess I was waiting for the "reason" they were rehoming to unveil itself. But no nasty habit has yet to surface. I've discovered he LOVES scrambled eggs and broccoli (which seems weird to me a bird eating eggs :p).

I made him a big PVC gym. I've attached pics of my creation. It was Rio's first time on it and he started happily flapping away.

Ok questions...for those of you that have multi levels play stands, Do your birds only stay on the top level? Don't most birds prefer to be as high as possible? So now that I made the big thing, I feel like why did I waste my time if he's only going to stay on top?

Wing clipping...he was already clipped when I got him but I've never seen this method of clipping...his first few feathers are intact and then there's a chunk missing. I thought the norm was to clip the first 4 or 5 feathers. In one of the pics, you can see his wings extended. Does it matter how its done as long as they don't fly?

Last one...I've heard mention of a "honeymoon" phase with new birds. Should I be worried about this? After several more days or weeks is his personality going to drastically change?

Thanks so much in advance for your help and input!

Rachel
Rio - B&G

Attachments

• GYM#4.jpg
    GYM#4.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,032
  • GYM#3.jpg
    GYM#3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,675
  • GYM#5.jpg
    GYM#5.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 2,083

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Congratulations on your new addition. Most Macaws prefer the top of the play gym. I have a tip for you. I hide treats on my Macaws playgym and make him find them, some are very easy while others are hard. I take untreated paper I buy at Office Depot and place 1 almond inside, wrap it a few times and with leather straps, i tie it to the gym, then I take the rolls left over from toilet paper or paper hand towels, plate a walnut inside and twist both ends, hang from leather straps. Some I place on the low end of the gym while others are up high, My Macaws has issues with the corners of the gym and this makes it really hard for him when I place a treat there. This will keep them busy for a long time and they climb all over to get to their treats as they would do in the wild. Best of luck Joe

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Congrats with your bird, he is lovely
Sure his personality is going to change, as they mature, the same as us humans.
Birds do prefer being high on a stand, as time goes by, he will become inquisitive and start to investigate the gym.
The gym is gorgeous, great job, well done
Good luck

Mondos Parents

Jan 21, 2011
Media
Louisville, KY
Parrots
YC x YN Amazon "Mondo" ,Green Wing Macaw "Bob" & Catablue Macaw "Jake"
Rachel, great job on the stand! I can say that after Bob, our GWM, was with us after a few weeks his attitude changed a bit, but nothing severe!

Most Reactions

Latest posts