Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
On vet visits, the first thing they do is keep a record of the weight of your bird as the easiest way to monitor problems. Bird weight is typically measured in grams. I have long sought to find a good reasonably priced accurate gram scale and have been frustrated in my attempts. Yesterday I found the perfect answer for those of you blessed enough to have a Harbor Freight Tools store nearby. They have digital scales in three ranges and I bought the larger one that takes weights up to 15lbs. To my surprise it does grams, ounces and pounds, and is powered either by internal batteries or a wall transformer (included) for less than $20! Next I need to make a little PVC perch to set the birds on. By the way, how much does Zaf weigh???

Last edited:
OP
Alwese

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
That's awesome! Is it accurate though? You can test the accuracy with new coins.

I looked on the instructions and did not see an accuracy limit. It did say it was not for the legal trade. I weighed both a new quarter and an old quarter just to see if there was a difference and they both said 20 grams. There is a calibration procedure by putting a 5.5 pound weight on it. Plax has the right idea for a stand to sit on it. I was thinking about all PVC but I like the wood footgrip better than what I was thinking. I was incorrect about what I said about it going up to 15 lbs. It goes to 11 lbs and is 5,000 gram. This will be high enough to weigh hamburger for my vacuum sealer too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts