Weird activity

Kiritomo

Jul 9, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
My green cheek conure (supposedly 4 ish months old now) is doing some weird things in the bedroom when she/he thinks I can't see them. Such a lovely bird and warming to me daily but still scared of hands but not plucking my beard! Anyway, when she/he goes to bed she makes a weird arching of her head upwards until the top of her head meets her back....she holds the pose for a few seconds and then repeats. There is just something strange about it like maybe straining but never short of breath or anything. Has anyone come across this before? I just hope she isn't egg bound or something....if she is a she at all!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
My green cheek conure (supposedly 4 ish months old now) is doing some weird things in the bedroom when she/he thinks I can't see them. Such a lovely bird and warming to me daily but still scared of hands but not plucking my beard! Anyway, when she/he goes to bed she makes a weird arching of her head upwards until the top of her head meets her back....she holds the pose for a few seconds and then repeats. There is just something strange about it like maybe straining but never short of breath or anything. Has anyone come across this before? I just hope she isn't egg bound or something....if she is a she at all!
Welcome to the forums!

It almost sounds like she’s falling asleep? Are her eyes closed when she does this?

OP
K

Kiritomo

Jul 9, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
She has never done this before and has gone quiet over the past day. If this is a sleeping ritual then it's weird as anything! I am obviously worried about her, it's just unusual to see to say the least

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
She has never done this before and has gone quiet over the past day. If this is a sleeping ritual then it's weird as anything! I am obviously worried about her, it's just unusual to see to say the least
Do you think you could get a video of her doing it?
You can post it here via YouTube.

So, she’s stopped making her normal noises? I’d be concerned if other normal behaviors have ceased and would consider an avian vet visit.

Most Reactions

Latest posts