Weird little spasmy fits

Janf

Dec 16, 2010
Yellowknife, NT
Parrots
Kiwi, a Senegal parrot born around march 2009.
I saw that someone else posted a video of their bird's mystery behaviour and maybe I'll need to do that too for this one... but I'll try my best.

Every once in a while (maybe every 2-3 months), I'll be holding Kiwi (Senegal, not quite 2 years, sex unknown) on my hands and she will drop her wings low on her side (still folded, just hung low) and shake and make chittery/squeaky little noises. Sometimes this is accompanied by restless motion, like stepping up nonstop or stepping from my hand to her cage and back repeatedly. There is no aggression with it - if anything, I've wondered if it is sexual in some way.

I don't know what triggers it. It has only happened 2-3 times, but the last time I remember it ended because there was a distraction (I think the doorbell rang or something) and she went back to normal.

I described to my husband (her favourite) and he doesn't remember her doing anything similar with him.

Any ideas?

Jan

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Definitely breeding behavior. It's no big deal. All of our little fids will do this from time to time when they grow up. A lot of mixed opinions on how to deal with it, ignore, discourage, etc. Hard to say.

Most Reactions

Latest posts