Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Silly question of the day... Does anyone have an Amazon that sleeps hanging upside down?

I'm pretty sure Baxter does, but it's possible she's just hanging there when I check on her in the morning. I don't hear her climbing around before I check, so it looks like she's sleeping that way. Foolish girl! :-D

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Foolish Girl, No! Some Girls Have More Fun Messing with Their Human's Mind: Oh Yes, near the top of their list!
Amazon's that learn how to turn upside down really get a kick out of it!
That all said, as with Humans, there are limits to just how long one can stay upside down before the brain shuts down resulting in a fall.

Advance Amazon Handling:
#1: With time, get your Amazon comfortable with the palm of your hand on their back and middle finger touching their neck /head. Once they are comfortable with this. Start to lay them on their back (slowly) into the supporting palm of your hand. From here, you can continue further back so they are fully upside down with a death lock on your other hand's fingers.
#2. Super Advance Amazon Handling adds a stop at 90 degrees and a slow moment of their mid-upper chest to the center on your ear. The goal is for you to be able to clearly hear their Heart (its rate) and with a bit more effort on your part the filling of their air sacks.

Goal: Your hearing the rate of your Amazon's (any mid to large Parrots) heart is to first understand just how fast it really is and what is a normal rate for your Parrot. As your work with your Parrot, especially if you choose to allow your Parrot to fly it is important to understand the change in their heart rate. An inactive Parrot can have or develop Heart issues that only become apparent when the Heart rate is enhanced.
A mid to large Parrot that is Panting for reasons other then stress needs an eye kept on them. Heart rate rises rapidly and knowing what your Parrots Heart rate is when in a rested state allows you to tell the difference.
General Warning: First time you hear your Parrot's rested rate, it will sound unusually rapid. Without this disclaimer, first timer's are running to their Avian Vets Clinic. A stressed or active heart is near unbelievably rapid.

Last edited:
OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Wow! Baxter has only been here for four days, and we're ready for advanced Amazon handling? Not sure what she (and Tucker) sees in me, but it's incredible! I keep asking myself, why me? Why am I so special to these particular birds? Is it something about me, or have I just gotten extremely lucky? I'm not worthy!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Silly question of the day... Does anyone have an Amazon that sleeps hanging upside down?

I'm pretty sure Baxter does, but it's possible she's just hanging there when I check on her in the morning. I don't hear her climbing around before I check, so it looks like she's sleeping that way. Foolish girl! :-D

Ummmm.NOOooooo...but I DO have an Amazon that likes to hang upside down lol. I too can uncover his house in the morning and find him upside down looking out at me lol.
I find you to be incredibly lucky,and blessed,to have TWO "new" parrots,that trust you so much in such a short time to behave they way they do towards you Mr Sax..Some of us have had to wait YEARS to achieve what you have done in such a short time. YOU sir,are the true definition of the "Parrot Whisperer"!! ;)

Jim

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP

Ummmm.NOOooooo...but I DO have an Amazon that likes to hang upside down lol. I too can uncover his house in the morning and find him upside down looking out at me lol.

I find you to be incredibly lucky,and blessed,to have TWO "new" parrots,that trust you so much in such a short time to behave they way they do towards you Mr Sax..Some of us have had to wait YEARS to achieve what you have done in such a short time. YOU sir,are the true definition of the "Parrot Whisperer"!! ;)

Jim
Lol! Thanks Jim. My daughter jokingly calls me the "bird whisperer." I think I'm just very lucky, and I try to pay close attention to what the birds want (or don't want)

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
My sleeeeeeepppy girl :) Out cold!
251ce13e5249c4a9e05232bc8dc6f4f1.jpg

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Oh that is a wonderful picture, makes my day!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Oh my Lord!! Now how adorable is that?? How old is Baxter?

Jim

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP

Oh my Lord!! Now how adorable is that?? How old is Baxter?

Jim
She's the ultimate cuddle bug! She lives for it. I don't know how I got so lucky... Twice... Well, 3 times counting Patches, the one who taught me what it really means to be chosen. Before him, I had no idea.

Baxter turned 17 on March 1st. I feel bad that she wasn't here for her birthday. I think she'll forgive me though.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
If that isn't his way of saying thank you I don't know what it is.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
:07: I just cannot see this picture enough times, you guys are so right together!

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
:07: I just cannot see this picture enough times, you guys are so right together!
Thanks Christa. I figured it out pretty quickly. (Because Baxter told me so) My wife was a little skeptical since she couldn't get there to meet Baxter before I brought her home. There's no denying it now :-D

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Happy Sunday all! Thought I would check in with "little" Miss Baxter. She's continuing to settle in nicely, and still loves lots of head scratches and snuggles. She likes to lean up against my neck/ear and turn her head around to her back and sleep. Such a love bug!

She did give my daughter a pretty good bite. She tried to get her to step up, Baxter steppet with one foot, started with the other, and changed her mind and bit her arm hard. Thank goodness she was wearing a thick robe at the time or it would have been much worse. I think it was more the robe than my daughter being the offending item.

We've had a few brief, supervised meetings with Tucker, who quickly though she was cute and tried to feed her. He was in one of THOSE moods at the time. Baxter didn't quite know what to make of it and backed away. She puts a foot up to either defend or grab on for a little loving... Not sure which yet, but I shut it down either way. We don't need the hormones raging, or loss of a foot. It's too soon to tell how they're going to get along, but so far, at least they haven't had bad interactions. I'm just keeping the meetings brief and positive.

Over all, she seems to be doing great, and thriving. Much lower energy level than Tucker, so she eats quite a bit less. I was concerned on that, but she's actually gained some weight. It would be nice if she had some more interest in flying, but none yet. Only flown twice so far, but she's pretty good at it.

Side note: Unlike Tucker, who poops tiny bits about every 10-20 minutes, Baxter likes to hold it much longer than I feel comfortable with. She only goes maybe 3-4 times a day, but LOTS when she does. NASTY! I will definitely be asking the vet about it at her check up coming soon.
7f34e043bfbcd74f504550df92d7ffeb.jpg
5b4be808f7156e48307ff4bfed6ed810.jpg
0908add89da701332832209bc0f2fec8.jpg

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Sweet pic's! Baxter has Amy beat in the weight department :) Haden't weighed him in a few weeks until the other night (just before bed time) and he came in at 505g's down from 548 prior to discovering he has a heart ailment. Awesome to see she and Mr.T at least tolerate each other. Can't ask for too much more than that!

Jim

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Yup, she's a big girl for sure. :) Hope she doesn't get too big though. So glad I finally got the scale to keep track.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Nice to get an update on the lovely Miss Baxter. It looks like she and Tucker are at least accepting each other-- and the picture shows that they're curious about each other too. :)

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Somebody makes a fantastic ear muff :p

Also, if it's possible for a bird to smile...
fbf63d82d0ca15a7b31df2c4914ed520.jpg
4db6e99b6963f0c68b693e1253b8145b.jpg

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My Bingo will lean up against my face and sometimes get sleepy sitting with me.
Turning his head around and tucking his beak under his wing is a whole new level that my YNA has never done.
Baxter is super relaxed around you.

Most Reactions