Welcome home Eckie

Joshuwaaa

Nov 11, 2012
England
Hey guys, hope everyone is well. I'm the new Parrent of a lovely male eclectus,

image_zps9df5db77.jpg

image_zpsf3f4ce8c.jpg

He does show dark feathers all over, some of which have noticeably molted out on his breast. He was hand fed and hand reared and is fully weaned onto foods. Enjoying some grapes, veggies and strawberries.

I am worried because his stool is very watery, but he was on a seed diet so I think it's due to the new foods.

He's okay with a little stroke and eats from your hand. Will need some hand training though.

Going to have a vet check just to be safe, his colour an stool do worry me slightly. He does however seem more content.

Can't wait to start our journey with him, he truely is lovely and I'm glad I've gone for a 5 month old slightly different bird.

Il keep updating! Any advice on what to do now in regards to training. Little scared of hands and doesn't step up. How do I approach that?

Massive thanks to everyone who participated in my threads leading up to him, your all awesome :)!

No name yet, still thinking :)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
congrats on your beautiful male eccky:)

OP
Joshuwaaa

Joshuwaaa

Nov 11, 2012
England
At his old home he was okay with us, let us stroke him and such.

Now we are home he has become completely different, won't let us near him, screeching a bit, biting, doesn't like anyone's hands now, no stroking.

I think we may have to do a lot of work

RockysMom

Jan 21, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Rocky...Yellow Crown Amazon....

Smokey Congo Grey....

Shamrock Male Eclectus.......

Baby Female Congo Grey.....
Cookie.....Aztec Conure
what a beautiful boy , and give him time to settle in and he will be ok as far as a name I'am not to good at that am sure you will think of one

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
He looks like a nice, big boy. I know you don't know me from adam and here I am jumping in with my point of view, but I do have a number of Eclectus and quite a few years keeping them. Just haven't spent time on this forum.

I would say give him a full week before you try to handle him. Remember the squirrel comparison?

Then some daily soakings with room temperature water. He is just about the age where he will start molting his head and neck feathers, followed by his body feathers and then sometime after a year of age, his primaries will molt.

When I work with my parent raised babies I let them come to me. Often that means they fly onto my head or shoulder. So, even though he's been handled, you may want to give him a few weeks of making all the decisions. That will show him he can trust you.

How are you doing with his food source? Do you have a good plan?

moni.k

Sep 2, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Parrots
~SI female eclectus: Nalani~
~pineapple.turquoise GCC: Layla~
yayy congratulations on your new ekkie boy!!! He is adorable, and will be a lifelong companion for you and your family. WHOOT WHOOT welcome to the eclectus family!!

ProbablyHarrison

Nov 13, 2012
Media
North Atlanta
Parrots
Charlie, the Aruensis Red-Sided Eclectus
Congratulations! I'm jealous. He's adorable. :) I think he will be fine, he's just got a lot of new, strange, and sometimes scary things going on! I wouldn't stop trying to approach him. Just be calm, gentle, confident, and caring. Spend lots of time talking to him sweetly! The diet change might be throwing him off/upsetting him a bit too, but it's what's best for him. I can't wait to see how he progresses!

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
Congrats on your ekkie!

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Congrats on your new boy, he's very cute. :)
As everyone else has said, just take it one day at a time, be slow and he will come around eventually. :)

OP
Joshuwaaa

Joshuwaaa

Nov 11, 2012
England
Aaah thank you everyone, he is literally amazing!

Last night was brilliant because he came out calmly, sat on me and jack for hours on end and played the "step up" challenge and blew us away with how well he did so early on with a little bit of encouragement and lots of praise.

He's awesome. Be uploading pictures very soon lots of updates

Hope everyone is well, thanks again you have all helped so much in preparing me for him to be home.

X

OP
Joshuwaaa

Joshuwaaa

Nov 11, 2012
England
image_zps1bb9710e.jpg

image_zpsb61b758e.jpg

Step up and hand training and going to well. Stepping up onto both mine and jacks arms/hands. Treats includes grapes, cuddles and some seed. Much more social and playful today.

He is now pacing the cage though on the floor. Think he definetly needs a vet check up, if anything to stop me worrying.

Hope your all well,

X

ProbablyHarrison

Nov 13, 2012
Media
North Atlanta
Parrots
Charlie, the Aruensis Red-Sided Eclectus
Just wondering, are you quarantining your eccie from your green cheek (or at least until he gets a good vet check)? If you're not, I'd be pretty careful. I've read standard quarantine is 40 days. And what does your green cheek think of the new guy? Haha.

OP
Joshuwaaa

Joshuwaaa

Nov 11, 2012
England
Hey Harrison,

Yea I've not put them together yet, I didn't think it safe until he was vet checked. Just incase. They have heard each other but seem okay knowing each other are here.

The Eckie has quite the vocal volume!! so the green check is laughing with all the excitement.

Most Reactions