Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I have been so busy lately and have had some very bad luck. Therefor, I havn't been on here to welcome all of our new members. Instead of trying to find all the new members posts and welcome you I'm doing one big one for everyone. So....

Welcome to all New Members!!!

I'll introduce myself. My name is Tracy and I'm a moderator here at the Parrot Forums. I have a 2 year old Senegal parrot Popsicle and a 29 year old Mealy Amazon Pepsi.

We have a great community here for parrot owners as well as anyone thinking of getting a parrot. Don't forget we love pictures so post as many as you want!!!

Can't wait to talk to you all very soon!!!

maggie

Nov 20, 2009
Washington DC
Parrots
African Grey
Hello. I'm new to parrot ownership and looking for advice. My husband and I bought an African Grey parrot about a month ago. I wanted a cockatiel but my husband loved the way Greys looked and wanted a smart bird. I did quite a bit of reading and was worried that the bird was more than we could handle but the people we got her from said that Greys were fine for first time bird owners and so we bought her.
We've had her about a month now and I'm wondering whether I should seriously consider finding a new home for her. She is a lovely bird and very sweet to me. She steps up beautifully, gives kisses and wants to stay on my shoulder all the time. She likes our dogs and likes to get in their bed with them. The problem is that she doesn't like anyone else. She has bitten my husband twice, really hard, and he doesn't want to be around her. Everyday, she is more reluctant to go to other people and seems more and more scared of them. I know that Greys tend to bond to one person but we have a fairly busy household and I hate to have a bird that no one can enjoy. Would she be better off in a new home or can we get her through this? I would hate to give her up but I would like to do what's best for all of us. Thanks for any advice you all might have.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
my husband ... wanted a smart bird.... She has bitten my husband twice, really hard, and he doesn't want to be around her.
Perhaps he has now learned to be careful what he wishes for!

I'll come back to this post in a few hours, I have to run for the moment.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
It is common for birds to bond to one person - so even if she went to a new home she might be in the same situation. But of course if she has bonded to you and you don't have time for her, someone in a new home might.

With work I have little doubt that she could have a happy wonderful life with you and your family. She may always favor you, but she should be able to be civil with others - but this also depends on those others (ie your husband) committing to working with her and being patient.

So, ultimately it is a choice: if you are willing and able to devote some time and effort I think you can give her a wonderful home and you will get rewarded several fold for your investment of effort. If you cannot do this though there is no shame in having to rehome her, and I'm sure you could find her a good place.

If you plan to keep her do let us know and we can help with getting her to get along with others. If this is the case just start up a new thread describing her situation a bit: what is her daily routine, how much is she out and interacted with, who interacts with her, how does she respond, etc.

maggie

Nov 20, 2009
Washington DC
Parrots
African Grey
Thanks so much for your response. I know as much about "threads" as I do about parrots so I hope I'm writing in the right place. I would love to keep Maggie and would love for her to be a good citizen.
Maggie has a large cage with a playpen on top. She likes to hang out on the door. Her cage is in the computer room and we do spend quite a bit of time in it. (The room not the cage!) The dogs have their beds in there too. It's not our main room so it's a little off the beaten path but the house is too small to put her anywhere else.
Maggie has some toys which I try to change around but she doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in them. She has a bucket with lots of little toys in it where I hide peanuts for her and she seems to like that.
I take her out of her cage in the morning and bring her into the kitchen to a perch where I feed her. She gets monkey biscuits and fresh fruit and vegetables. She likes me to hold the biscuits while she eats them. She watches a little T.V. while the dogs eat and then I take her back to her cage where she hangs out on top. She eats seeds (is this wrong? I think it might be but she's never gone near her pellet dish) ignores her toys and just wants to sit on my shoulder and have her head scratched. She seems a little needy but she is only 4 months old.
We do the same thing in the afternoon and evening. I know I'm not doing enough with her but I don't know what to do. When my husband goes near her she hunkers down and growls and lunges at him. Thank you for any insights...I hate being a bad parrot mom!

sheherazad

Mar 6, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Parrots
African Grey
Hello and I am a new member. Does anyone check this? Anyway, I own an AG and have owned him for 18 years. He is approximately 19 years old. I look forward to reading more about my great bird and maybe having some questions anwered. My bird and I live overseas and I am hoping to bring him back to the States with me.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hello and I am a new member. Does anyone check this? Anyway, I own an AG and have owned him for 18 years. He is approximately 19 years old. I look forward to reading more about my great bird and maybe having some questions anwered. My bird and I live overseas and I am hoping to bring him back to the States with me.

Great to have you joining the forum.
Many informative posts available, which I am sure would interest you.
Any questions go ahead, lots of experienced AG guardians, always willing to assist.
Share some pic's we love them !!! :D

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I know I'm not doing enough with her but I don't know what to do.

Maggie is still so young, exploring and still finding her feet.
Where your hubby is concerned, let him try some alone time with her.
Perhaps some bonding time will do the trick.
Leave the cage door open, let him sit nearby and just talk to her.
Routinely done, on a daily basis.
Let him offer her treats, even through the bars of the cage.
When she starts taking them, it's a step in the right direction.
At a later stage, let hubby leave a treat near the open door, him sitting nearby, talking to her.
Continue this for a few days, not attempting to touch her at all.
Each day, place the treat closer to the opening.
In her own time, when Maggie is ready, and willing, she will eventually take a treat from your hubby's hand.
There is no time limit, could take a few days, even a few weeks.
He will soon gain her trust.
Preserver and your patience will be greatly rewarded.
Good luck hubby :D
Keep us posted

Most Reactions

Latest posts