Welcome to fledgeling season!

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
So for those in Florida, I think since we had such a warm summer the birds decided to breed a little early. A neighbor of mine just showed up with an 'injured' bird. Nope, just a little blue jay who decided he was big enough to leave the nest. So I explained in great detail to them why he has left the nest and that mom will still find him. We found some really nice bushes near where he was found to put him back in. Cute little guy. The neighbor usually keeps his laundry door open during the day and he found him behind the washer. At least I'm known as the 'parrot' lady in the neighborhood so they came to my house instead of driving him forever away to a vet clinic or the pet store (which people have done countless times, when I'm just there for food). I really think that it wouldn't be that hard to integrate some sort of general wildlife education in grade schools. Make it mandatory for everyone, this would clear up the fledgeling issue (that happens EVERY year) and maybe also teach people what poisonous snakes look like. I think we rely too much on parents to fill in that part, when shockingly most of the parents don't know anything about it either.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
I agree with you Molcan2. I was a big offender of bringing home baby birds that had fallen from their nest. About two years ago I got on-line to see exactly what to feed them and there I found information about what to do with them...put them in a bush near the nest and the parents will still feed him/her!!

It would be great if the grade schools spent a little time, helping our kids to help out the critters they find.

Most Reactions

Latest posts