Well guess what...Im getting a Sun conure(I think)

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
Sun conure , greencheek conure
When I first joined this I was asking the difference between a blue crown and a sun. Well Ive looked everywhere for a Blue crown and we just dont have them anywere around here.
SOOOO Im looking at craigslist because I posted my sons hamster cage.And guess what I saw up for adoption, a Sun conure...Im really excited and yet anxious too..Im going to visit him on Friday.
He is about an hour away though. He is not very tame but is supposed to be only 2yo.Thats still pretty young.But still so many what ifs..
What if hes a screamer
What if he hates woman
What if he is much older then they said
Adoptions are alot more risky then getting a handfed baby from a breeder.
But I think if I put in lots and lots of hard work and patience I can make it work...I hope (im thinking clicker training right off the bat)

Ive prepared my hubby for the noise, he says he doesnt care but I guess we will find out if and when I adopt this guy.
Ive already got some noisy dogs, noisy male tiels so whats more noise right:rolleyes:

Last edited:

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee
I would give it a second thought if you're at all concerned with noise ... have you ever heard that piercing scream they make?:green2:

OP
S

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
Well I have a friend that has a Nanday and its not so bad. Are they about the same? I could handle that pretty easily.
I also have a friend with an Amazon and Im sure I could handle that as well.

This lady is desperate to be rid of it and she emailed me and wants me to take it tomorrow for 200.

Last edited:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Well, suns can be noisy or not.....mostly yes though.....

To sort of allay your what ifs, You will have a couple of week to couple of month honeymoon period where your new friend will be shy & reticent while learning the lay of his/her new space.

You can put this time to good use by beginning his/her training right away, so you might want to develop your training program before (s)he gets there. You'll want to immediately want to set limits for biting/nipping, screaming, etc.....

If you've never had a conure before, they enjoy chewing holes in shirts, so large T-shirts that can be re-designed into your very own Donatella Versace or Vera Wang original.....

Clicker training is a good idea...being 2 yo & a rehome (s)he will be coming with some baggage, but starting right away will give you the edge.....

OP
S

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
Thanks, for the info I was actually thinking the opposite and was going to leave him be for a few weeks but since you said to begin right away I will.
I dont even know if it steps up(but that doesnt mean it will for me)

When I got our GCC she was 18mnths old and not handled and terrified of hands and now she is the most trusting little thing ever so Im hoping the Sun will be just as easy, or maybe not.
Basically Im prepared for the worst but it does make me a bit scared too.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Several years back I had the opportunity to re-home 4 suns that were siblings from two different clutches 18mo apart. They had been parent raised & never handled by humans until I went to get them.

Their first lesson was to fly to my finger for a peanut section. After splitting them up & working with them almost 4 months one of them decided that he wanted what all the other birds were flying to my hand for & took the step.....after that it was another month before all would fly to my hand without hesitation. From there on it was easy to build a trust factor with them.....

Take your experience with your GCC & run with it.....just don't let them become bonded if you still want them to be your buddies.....

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
If you're concerned with any kind of noise then a Sun is not for you. My Sun will be quiet the majority of the day and sometimes ends up screaming her head off for minutes or sometimes a half hour + of constant ear piercing screaming. It's not all the time that she does this. Suns are not known for being quiet so be prepared for that.

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
My baby sun is beginning to scream when my GCC calls (in am & pm). He's a bit loud. However, he's just a baby so he will be getting much louder, lol.

OP
S

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
Thanks everyone.I hope Im prepared for the noise factor. My GCC conure is super quiet.She rarely calls.I think its because I sit right next to her cage in the mornings and evenings and share my food with her so she never gets the chance.
I absolutely know that I could handle the noise by myself. Im pretty confident my hubby can too but there is always that what if..I wish I had the opportunity to hear a Sun.
But that being said, this lady is eager to hand this bird over to anyone so I think I would take it in either way.

BTW its name is Sunny but Im going to have to change that right away. I had a tiel named Sunny once and I still miss that bird.
So Im thinking Angus or Sol..Assuming it really is a male.
Everyone insisted my GCC was a male till it laid eggs.LOL

Last edited:

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
I wish I had the opportunity to hear a Sun.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYFMo5Ar1k0]How Loud Is a Screaming Sun Conure? - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQFtJqWcD5k]How loud is a screaming Sun Conure?? [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions