Well...it's a start!

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Even if she is just ripping it up, she's actually touching the veggie/fruit kabob! She loves to pick the seeds out of jalapenos. Tomorrow I'll get more adventurous and try carrot and zucchini, too. :)

tzQ2S3O.jpg

Ta6rRGL.jpg

DCtGwC9.jpg

Absolutely no luck getting her to try her Harrison's, though. She refuses to even consider that it might be food. :rolleyes:

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Good girl Sakura! With my adopted weiros, I don't think they ever had anything other than seed before, I put their crumble in with the seed or with some seed on top. They do eat it now (I think)....

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Don't feel bad ,Toos can be very picky eaters [don't give up though :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
How are you feeding my little niece Sakura??? The pellets I mean.... ;)

The way I switched my toos is by doing a bowl of pellets available all day. Another bowl I feed fresh food in the morning and in the evening I give a tablespoon full of seeds in the evening. Once they start eating the pellets real good I stop the seeds completely and no treats such as seed treats or nuts for the time being until they're adjusted to the pellets real good for a month or so before I would give those type of treats again.

OP
aether-drifter

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
That's pretty much what I've been doing. I'm leaving the pellets in her cage all day, and all she has done is throw them all over the floor. She seems quite interested in what *I'm* eating, so in the mornings I've been giving her a plate of fresh chop served on the kitchen table. I sprinkle a few seeds on top and crush up a Nutriberry to get her interested. I also have these special healthy bird crackers that I pretend to be eating, and break up and let her eat off the table. She likes those well enough. This morning I think I saw her eat a couple of bites of brown rice out of the mash/chop so I guess that's progress, too!

In the evenings, I let her have a little seed on her tree, sprinkled over the pellets in the bowl.

I'm wondering if I need to try a different brand of pellets. I got Harrison's because I was told it was the best for galahs, but I tried one and they taste like cardboard. :\ Can't blame her for not being that interested. Her previous owner said she would reluctantly eat Roudybush. She has also picked at Zupreem cockatiel pellets but those contain sugar so I'm reluctant to get her addicted.

OP
aether-drifter

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I've been giving her skewers every day and always find them nibbled on. Although she didn't touch the broccoli, she gnawed zucchini, carrot, jalapeno, and apple. Any more ideas of veggies to put on there?

I'm still feeding her mash on a plate for breakfast, and I've noticed her actually eating some brown rice and beans out of it. Also, she is eating some pellets now. I've been mostly withholding seed, aside from the sprinkling she gets daily on top of her mash breakfast, and I guess she decided eating pellets was better than starving. I mixed some random assorted other brands into her Harrison's, including Zupreem natural, fruit blend, Roudybush, and Higgins intune. This weekend I'm planning to make some birdie bread and healthy bird crackers (DallyTsuka's recipe). :D I'm also going to sprout some seed soon. Can oat groats be sprouted? Those are her favorite seeds.

Most Reactions