Well they are sort of my children

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
Had a bit of fun today.

It's time for me to swap one or two toys out and add some to outside play time for Gizmo and Pebbles. Looking in pet stores, I have not been impressed with what is on offer (quality), and decided to check out the local charity shop for some second hand baby toys.

I found a nice rattle stand (with lots of turning and bright colours), so I thought that should do the trick, for the outside play area and supervised play time.

At the register the lady said "Oh I see there is a new baby in your life" (she didn't know me, so I thought I would play along), "well actually it's for two to share a boy and a girl", she said "Oh are they twins", so I answered "no the boy is 18 months and the girl is 3". I could see she was probably thinking they were a bit old for the toy, but she just smiled. So I said "well we think the girl is 3, to be honest we can't be sure as we adopted her under unusual circumstances". At this point I could sense the concern, so I told her they were eclectus parrots. We both had a good laugh, but to be honest, I think she thought I was even stranger knowing that I was buying baby toys for my parrots....lol.

As I don't know the history of the toy (perhaps from a house with a bird), I will need to look at the best ways to properly sanitize the toy first. Does anyone have any suggestions of the best way to sanitize, or things to avoid, I will be starting with boiling water and sunlight to dry, but I think perhaps I need to take it to another level just in case?

Cheers,

Cameron

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
LOL! My bird doesn't even really like most parrot toys he's so obsessed with baby toys. It's always amusing the 'looks' you get when someone asks about your 'baby', and I mean, you have to have a little fun at that point;) (o yes, he's 16... Awww...16 months? No 16 years, but he's also green and covered in feathers:D!). I find a lot of people really get a kick out of the fact you can give a parrot baby toys (and they actually like them).

I personally use a steam cleaner to sanitize our baby toys now (I'll wash them in the sink, but steam them to sanitize). Before I had the steam cleaner, I would (depending on material) pour boiling water over it or wash it under really hot water. No soaps or chemicals. Remember, babies don't carry avian diseases and parrots in the wild don't live in a sterile bubble. A good, thorough washing under really hot water will be fine:)

Last edited:

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
I had something similar happen the other day in a store. I was shopping in the baby toys section and a young couple came up to me and asked if I fed my baby formula or knew anything about baby formula. I said "Sorry, I'm here buying toys for a parrot." They looked confused and said "You're buying toys for a parent?"
I said "No I'm buying toys for my parr"o"t, you know, those big birds with bright feathers?"

We both had a laugh and they walked away shaking their heads like I was crazy.

OP
camo

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
Steam sanitize, that's a great idea, thank you.

Yeh wasn't worried about Gizmo or Pebbles catching something from a child, more just being super careful, in case it came from a home with birds.

Cheers,

Cameron

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Haha they act just like kids... I always get strange looks meeting new people. I'm 25 and unmarried, but my fiance and I have 5 kids. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts