Well, Yoshi has been temporarily relocated.

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
As much as it breaks my heart to move him from my apartment, he's now at my dads house. I'm going to be keeping a lock on the door to his cage so no one can get into his cage without me being there, since I'm awfully paranoid and I don't want anyone to think "Well she isn't here and he might want to come out..". No one else in my family(That lives in the house) has any experience with birds, so I'm just gonna have to make frequent visits to make sure he has time out of the cage and fresh food.
Even though my anxiety is off the hook I'm sad he won't be living in my apartment, even though it's only temporary. I'll miss his chatter and the corner of my living room looks awfully empty now..
Is this what it's like sending your child to daycare for the first time? It's what it feels like.
Atleast I don't work, so I can come over here around 10:00 AM every day and stay until I get a ride back to my apartment if needed.
Oh well. Hopefully they'll pay attention to my checklist I leave for them and NOT just do whatever, I hope they realize he is not a dog and can't have people food because he makes those sad eyes. Unless it's healthy and not loaded with sodium or sugars, that is.
I'll still be frequenting the forums reading posts by everyone and I'll update still, though maybe not as often. I guess I'm just worried this set him back a few steps in bonding/trusting people. But we'll see how he is in a week or two.

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Jasper- bare eyed cockatoo
I wish you and Yoshi the best. You may want to let someone in the home have a key though in case of an emergency. That would be awful if someone didn't have access if something happened.

Hugs to you

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I wish you and Yoshi the best. You may want to let someone in the home have a key though in case of an emergency. That would be awful if someone didn't have access if something happened.

Hugs to you

The thing is I don't trust anyone with a key, the risks are greater than that of an accident. I live less than a mile away and can walk here in 20 minutes if something happens, not like they're taking him anywhere without me anyway. That is a good idea though, maybe I'll hide a spare somewhere and not tell anyone until they contact me with an emergency and absolutely need to take him somewhere and I can't be there. I'm glad you thought of that, because I sure didnt.

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Dad doesn't understand why the bird isn't going to be out while I'm not here. See, this is why the lock is needed, because you don't listen to me or take my advice and even though you think you're some bird expert when you've never had birds doesn't mean I'm going to trust you with mine by myself with two dogs and a young child in the house. Not gonna happen.

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Jasper- bare eyed cockatoo
You know best:). Trust your gut. I'm sure everything will work out just fine with whatever you decide. We all know you have Yoshi's best interests in mind.

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Oh well. He gets like that when he drinks, hence the lock. Lol. His live-in girlfriend and my brother understand atleast. I'll be going by tomorrow morning to make him breakfast and let him spend time outside of the cage.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm sorry!!!! Perhaps he'll get over his screaming fits while he's away so you can have him back with you. Hope it all works out!

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Thanks, Mikey. I'm hoping my anxiety levels will drop with a bigger apartment and also my hormones going back to normal a bit after I'm due. But of course there's no way to know for sure so we're just playing it by ear until then.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
When are you due??? My friend is due next month. She wasn't supposed to be ever getting pregnant again so this came like a surprise to her. Unfortunately she will raise him by herself.

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I'm due in June, which is also when our lease is up. So odds are if we move apartments he's gonna have to get some help and do that while I'm cooped up in the hospital on bed rest. That's gonna be fun for everyone.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I'm sure they'll manage while your having your maternity leave. :)

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I sure hope so! Atleast we don't have very much stuff, moving last time only took the first chunk of the day and a couple trips with two pick-up trucks. I just hope my fids will be excited when I come home instead of holding a grudge because I ran away and came back skinnier. Hehe.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I did the trip with the U-Haul truck like 5 times and borrow a van to move fish tanks in one day. Then bunch of trip with both of our cars every night after work to pick up boxes from the condo. It took us about a month to move. We had A LOT of crap....We've gotten rid of some stuffs but bought new stuffs for the house. It's still a constant struggle cause we don't have enough place to store stuffs, even built the darn shed last year and it's already filled up, was supposed to store patio furniture too but it didn't work out that we have to leave the patio furniture outside.....ugh.....Maybe should of gone with the bigger shed instead....lol

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Mikey, all we have is our little studio apartment and no storage, before we moved in there we lived in one bedroom in a two-story loft apartment.. since the crazy girl we lived with was a neat-freak alcoholic mix, so we had a mini fridge in the bedroom and really only left to cook in the kitchen or to leave the apartment. So we have adjusted to a small(ish) amount of space hah.

Today: Yoshi still isn't eating. Of course. It's like day 1 all over again. :( Atleast he isn't plucking.. Hopefully he'll start is beak grinding/preening/chatting again after a few days. I plan to spend several hours with him in the morning/afternoon so he knows that I haven't left, I play him music and listen to the comedians we used to at my apartment for some sense of home. I left his cage open for an hour or so this morning in case he felt like exploring, but of course he would rather stay in his safe-zone. I don't blame him. So now the cage is shut since the dogs are back inside, and I keep hoping he'll eat something. The package of perches and toys has been pushed back, so it *should* be arriving tomorrow. I just wish my dad would keep his d**n hands our of the cage, I mean if the bird is on the wall of the cage poised to strike he probably does NOT want to be picked up. And he wonders why I keep a lock on the door. :mad:
Oh well. Atleast he isn't showing any signs of serious stress or unhappiness. I'm just over-worrying like always.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I'm confused, or maybe I missed something... But why isn't your dad allowed to take him out of the cage or interact with him?

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I'm confused, or maybe I missed something... But why isn't your dad allowed to take him out of the cage or interact with him?

My dad doesn't really have a *problem* per se, but he does drink on a very regular basis, and the last thing I need is him messing with a parrot as prone to stress as Yoshi since he has zero experience with birds, and if I'm not there and he gets bit I'm afraid he's gonna smack him or do SOMETHING to him, and then not tell me about it. So until Yoshi is settled and coming out of his cage on his own I don't want anyone sticking hands in there stressing him out, especially not an inebriated adult who doesn't know how to handle a bird. Not to mention I have a 10 year old sister who lives there and she has her friends over, and I don't want them trying to take Yoshi out without supervision at all.
I'm going over there every morning around 10 AM (Around the time I would feed him breakfast anyway) to give him food and sit with him and give him a chance to come out of his cage for a few hours, so it's not like he's locked up all day. Only when I'm not there, which is for a few hours during the evening then I stop by around 8 again to offer more fresh food then take it up before bed time.

Update: He ate today! He had some of his pellets and then a handful of grapes.. yay :) He's also started doing his beak-grinding occasionally.. so I'm glad he isn't visibly stressed or anything. Just needs time to adjust to the new surroundings.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Oh I see. Thanks for elaborating a bit. You know what is best for the situation. I hope it all works out for you. Enjoying your posts.

Most Reactions

Latest posts