Welp... I guess now we know ...

brolie

Apr 7, 2015
Colorado Springs
Parrots
Gus the Jenday Conure (7yo) Pooka the Umbrella Cockatoo (17yo) Sky, Arwen, Antigone the Budgies (all born in August 17') - and Captain our Yellow Naped Amazon (10 yo) RIP Oatey 8/15/17 Cloud 4/28/18
So I got my destructive little Jenday Conure one of those balls of shredded paper for him to destroy...

And then he made a nest...

And then he laid some eggs...

And SHE is so proud!!! hahaha

I forget what the proper protocol is for handling unfertilized eggs like that though. What's the best thing to do?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Well, yipes!

Now we *DO* know!

I'm going to yield to members with actual breeding experienc. I know some pull the ggs, some don't. I expect you'll be adised to get rid of all nesting stuff, lest "HE" repeat "HIMSELF"! Too funny. Surprise!

Also, you might read up on ways to ensure good calcium intake, just in case.

Actually, the SEARCH tab above has some good threads on dealing with eggs...

Good luck with HER!!!!!!!!

OP
B

brolie

Apr 7, 2015
Colorado Springs
Parrots
Gus the Jenday Conure (7yo) Pooka the Umbrella Cockatoo (17yo) Sky, Arwen, Antigone the Budgies (all born in August 17') - and Captain our Yellow Naped Amazon (10 yo) RIP Oatey 8/15/17 Cloud 4/28/18
oh i always forget about the search tab!!... and im sure google probably has some answers too lol... i think i prefer all of you -real- people over google, but yes, ill go snoop around :)

she is so proud of her eggs though, I don't want to just take them out :(

The eggs aren't fertilized either (seeing as we now have 6 out of 7 birds as female and she's in her own cage do to the vicious behavior)

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I've always been told to leave the eggs until they're bored of them then sneak the eggs out when not looking

bit of a surprise!

OP
B

brolie

Apr 7, 2015
Colorado Springs
Parrots
yeah definitely a surprise.. she had always shown more male behavior like jealousy and territorial with me and such.. we've had her for 4 years now and we just found out lol

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
I'm letting my lovie sit her eggs but also trying to manage her hormones. Silversage has an excellent post about managing hormones

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
yeah definitely a surprise.. she had always shown more male behavior like jealousy and territorial with me and such.. we've had her for 4 years now and we just found out lol

see I find that the jealousy to be common with both sexes. The territorial behaviors I akin more to females over males. Was always told when I was young that momma defends the nest whilst dad goes out to get the food and such

Most Reactions