Tell me about Conures

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
So im looking and researching into getting a new Parrot in the comming months and im thinking of getting a baby Conure.

I have researched but id like to know your guys experiences of them, what they are like ect and about the different types.

Thankyou x

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
well theres a big margin.....a GCC is a lot different from a jenday.....or other breeds. It'ls almost like asking what is a parrot like....there are so many different versions/breeds/behaviors.

I'd recommend asking about the kind of bird you would like and what you should buy off of that "want list". Or be more breed specific.

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I have a GCC and I absolutely adore her. However, she does not like other birds and only likes people - so that makes her very high maintenance. She needs to be with me as much as possible or whoever is around. She doesn't mind being caged and is always good about going in when I have to go to work, but as soon as I'm home oh boy she wants OUT right away.

She costs a lot in terms up maintaining her health. Her food and vet bills get pretty pricey (she needs nail trims every 8 weeks), but she is the most loving animal I have ever had.

That said, she is not perfect. There are days that she doesn't want to stop biting because I can't figure out what she wants. I can't do anything but watch TV when she is out, because she hates when I'm not devoting my attention to her. She is always into things!! I have to hide things before I let her out because she will be relentless and obsessive about getting them (jewelry, bad foods, my coffee).

I also have to put the cat downstairs if I let her out because she will go after him (that's right - he leaves her alone but she attacks him and I know he will defend himself and hurt her). So if you have other animals keep this in mind. Speaking of others, I cannot let her and my other birds out at the same time because she will hurt them. She likes to go after their feet.

So there's some good and bad things about my personal experience with my GCC. I love her and can't imagine life without her, but I'm really glad that my mom steals her from me a few days a week so that I can get things done XD

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
I suggest also asking about their nature from the store or breeder you'll be procuring your new friend from.

GCCs: are easily obtained (in terms of cost and availability), are seemingly docile and pleasant at younger ages, but they go through a period of aggressive and violent temperament about ~2 yo (puberty, hormones). Even a cursory search of any combination of 'GCC' with the following other terms: 'aggression' + 'attacking' + 'biting' + 'behavior" ... will readily prove this so. Be forewarned.

Conures such as my gold-capped are far more docile and gentle, if not wholly then at least significantly by their nature as well as upbringing.

I can't speak to any other kind of conure as well as the owners of those particular species themselves could. But as well rule, suns, jendays, etc - are LOUD.

OP
Carl_Power

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Well I have done some research and would prefer a quieter type but also playful and loving and enjoy training. I have read that GCC's can be like that. I know every Parrot will be different in nature but I will be training and spending a lot of time with him but id also prefer to be picked. I just wandered what your Conures were like, whatever type to maybe help me decide x

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
A GCC is quiet. I mean it will contact call, but it's not loud, if i was in an apartment the neighbors wouldn't hear it if they had their tv or netflix on.

They are very loving and cuddly...then things are slow they will cuddle up right next to your neck and just hang out. Give them a toy and they will break it violently. It's a conundrum, but it works. Also once they figure out how to talk, they are quieter because they figure out they get more attention from the talking.

They fight for attention....make sure you have say.....6 hours a day at least hands on and 3 or so reading together or whatever.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
If you want the quieter type, don't get a Sun or a Jenday. They can be quite vocal. Greencheeks are generally quieter in terms of volume, though it will depend on the individual bird.

I had a Jenday growing up and he was the best. We were very bonded and he was cuddly and playful. He wouldn't go to anyone else (besides my identical twin sister, who he thought was me, too). I have always admired the Golden Conures but they are endangered (you'll need a breeder in your state to get one, or a permit, and they're $2000).

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Maverick(pattagonian conure)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
Blue(Indian Ringneck-Rest in peace)
I have one Pineapple Sided Green Cheek Conure, Yellow Sided green cheek conure, and two sun conures. Honestly I love all of them. My yellow sided is a little on the bratty side where as my pineapple cheek is very loveable and loves cuddles, kisses, and being hung upside down. My two sun conures are two big different personalities. Tango, my first sun conure is hand tame and confident, he loves showers and loves to cuddle and nibble on jackets, he loves toys. My other sun conure named Talia is the most gentle little thing I’ve ever met. She has not bit me once and she is playful, Talia is a little on the shy side for a sun conure but once she knows you she will cuddle and sing to you.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Wellllllllllllllllllllllll...
My Patagonian Conure (the biggest conure) rooster is about 8-9 grams and 20 inches long. He is loud, aggressive, persistent, demanding... a real piece of work. The females are thought to be quieter and more docile, but as a species, most will say they're not the best bet for somebody wanting to keep their eardrums intact.
Green cheeks are soooooooooooooo popular, and soooooooo wonderful! Lots of GCC parronts here.
Good for you for reaching out.
I'm glad you're here.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Wellllllllllllllllllllllll...
My Patagonian Conure (the biggest conure) rooster is about 8-9 grams and 20 inches long. He is loud, aggressive, persistent, demanding... a real piece of work. The females are thought to be quieter and more docile, but as a species, most will say they're not the best bet for somebody wanting to keep their eardrums intact.
Green cheeks are soooooooooooooo popular, and soooooooo wonderful! Lots of GCC parronts here.
Good for you for reaching out.
I'm glad you're here.

I continue to admire your constant honesty with the RB. No sugar-coating, you tell it how it really is! It isn't always going to be rainbows and butterflies and warm feelings. Sometimes it is hard and sometimes it is no fun at all. You and the RB are a perfect shining exacmple of never giving up! If that isn't unconditional love, I don't know what is!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Thanks, Jackie! You put me in a really nice mood, just after having to lure the Rb into his cage at sundown, with his green chile. All screams, snaps and flaps. *sigh*
You've shown me a lot of love here, Jackie. :)

And good for Carl, for reaching out and researching BEFORE making a decision.

:)

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
All I can say about GCC is that I can't imagine life without my Yoda. Now that I have his love and cuddles and companionship, I never ever ever want to be without him. I've never known any animal to be so loving and sweet and funny as my green cheek conure. :)

Chelsea304

Nov 2, 2015
Florida
Parrots
Congo African Grey (Echo) & White-Eyed Conure (Regen)
I have a white eyed conure. They look similar to a cherry headed conure but without the red on their head. My boy is a typical Aratinga conure...he can be loud when he wants to be but nowhere near as loud as a sun or jenday. He enjoys cuddles but can be demanding of my time for a few hours then he's okay on his own. He's very beaky and will communicate everything with his beak (pinching when he wants to be left alone...nipping when he wants to be pet....beaking the perch, etc) He's smart and loves to get his way but overall is a lovely companion.

One of my good friends has a pineapple green cheek conure and he's such a love bug...but from what I've been told is what was said previously about their hormonal years being filled with bites...but once they got past that it all sort of returned to normal for them.

Good luck picking your new friend! :)

Most Reactions