We're home!

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
After 13 hours of driving and a tearful goodbye, we're home with our new greys! We have them in the basement on quarenine for the next month and they seem to be adjusting well.

They were pretty quiet on the ride home, just the odd squack or two. They shared a travel cage and stared at us the whole way.

Once home we assembled the cage and let them out on the ground. they walked around carefully before climbing on the couch and one tried climbing on my shoulder but I wouldn't let it. Then they found their cage and climbed, fluffing pretty happily.

They seem in good health, but their feathers look a little ragged, I'm thinking they need to bath since their owners only ever let them bath in the water dish. Thoughts?

They were loved and cared for, but hardly handled. One (the boy I think) will let me pet him a little but the other one deflects my hand. It'll be a few months until we're on handling terms.

The girl's name is a mystery still, but we're naming the boy Teo (Italian for gift), or Mateo.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can!

SpringCottageParrot

Jun 6, 2012
The Weald of Kent
Parrots
Casper a blue fronted Amazon
We are looking forward to seeing the pics. At least they try and bath themselves, Casper is very bath-shy and hates getting wet. Gets misted or dunked in the sink twice a week whether he needs it or not. He pretends it makes him ill by imitating a human cough whilst drying off.
Did you see the thread on coconut oil a couple of weeks back? We got some for Casper and it makes him very smooth and silky. :cool:

OP
Karigan

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Here's some pics.

First is the boy, and the last is the girl (we think).

The girl is dominant and the boy is very shy.

Do you guys think their feathers just need a good bath, or have they been over preening?

Attachments

• Boy 1.jpg
    Boy 1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 299
  • Boy Girl.jpg
    Boy Girl.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 269
  • Girl 1.jpg
    Girl 1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 303

SpringCottageParrot

Jun 6, 2012
The Weald of Kent
Parrots
Casper a blue fronted Amazon
Perhaps if they had known they were going to have their pictures taken they would have tidied up a bit. :)
Seriously they don't look too bad, I think a good bath and then, if they are used to being handled, a bit of coconut oil smoothed over their plumage.
They look very cute by the way.
Do you give them a vitamin supplement sprinkled on their food?

OP
Karigan

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
We just brought them home yesterday so we're going to start changing their diet next week.

Right now they get fruit and veg twice a day with 1/2 cup of Kaytee Gourmet Recipe mix (seeds, dried fruit etc...) once a day for them both.

The plan is to change the mix to a pellet, either Zupreem natural or Harrisons organic and feed them that twice a day with the mix as a treat.

Also there will be one hard boiled egg white a week with crushed shell.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
They are absolutely gorgeous... Are they siblings? If they are, they probably should be in different cages...

OP
Karigan

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Lene, yes they are. They are four years old. so it's my understanding I have about a year before maturation to get them one. We are working on a design for a double cage that our neighbor could weld for us.

Most Reactions