We've been working on Sunny's distrust of men and finally made some big progress!

Sunnybirb

Dec 24, 2017
Parrots
Sunny the blue and gold macaw.
Sunny really doesn't like men. If it was up to her, she'd never have to see one again. So getting her to, at the very least, tolerate my boyfriend, is something we know is going to take a long time. There's always lots of hissing and lunging, particularly when she's in her cage. Right around when we first got her, I had set her on the bed for a moment while my boyfriend was sleeping. All of a sudden, from the corner of my eye, I saw her doing the birdy shuffle, rushing toward his arm. She had her beak open and I instantly said "no!" and surprisingly she paused and I was able to get her to step up, despite her disappointed squawking.

Every day, my boyfriend gives her treats. He's even sat a chair in front of her cage and sang to her and played guitar (which she seemed to appreciate). We finally got to the point about a week ago where he could sit on the bed and she wouldn't charge at him, although there was some puffed up feathers and hurt feelings. Lately she hasn't been puffing up at all, and even tolerated him trying to play with her (although she barely reciprocated).

We decided it was time for my bf to try step up, but with some precautions. I hunted down that Birdman666 post that Kentuckienne recommended about using an ace bandage and towels under clothes. After putting on his armor, my bf tried to approach her, which didn't go the best at first. He coaxed her with some blueberries on a spoon, but she still wasn't impressed. He finally sat down on the floor and talked to her, and kept his arm on the bed, getting her used to it. I think he was probably sitting with her for 15-20 minutes before she relaxed, and once she did, he got pretty close to her. She lunged once and got his bandaged arm, so he gave her a short break before trying again. Then when he said "step up" the next time...she DID it!

We were both so surprised! They were only able to stay together for a few seconds before she squawked and opened her beak at him (she is not a fan of sweatshirts, and he only had his on one arm because it was hot in the room). But it was the first real contact they've been able to have! I feel like it was a really big step for both of them, and I think in the future we will get to a point where my bf can pick her up and put her away when he wants to, so she can get out on the rare occasions when I'm not home.

Everything has been tiny baby steps. I made this post because I've seen a lot of comments on the internet (not necessarily here) with people saying if a bird doesn't like a certain gender it won't work. I think that's completely false, and like many things, can be overcome with a lot of time and patience. We're not even that far yet, but compared to the beginning where I wondered if she could ever learn to step up for a man, we've made so much progress! I think the most important part, is finding a human who is willing to take as long as it takes to build the trust.

The other thing I want to mention, is that Sunny has her own pace. Any time my bf has crossed the line, even when it was not pushy or inconveniencing her, she went back to square one immediately. She lunges and squawks, and stands tall trying to be a big scary birb because, for whatever reason, she has learned to distrust men and she and my bf still don't have the relationship yet where she KNOWS he means her no harm. If he were to push her too much, I think it would probably take weeks to get back to where we are now, which is why he is never demanding with her. Eventually, I think he will be able to ask things of her and move her about if he needs to, but we're trying really hard not to make her feel like she's being forced to comply, because that's not fun for anybody and not any way to establish a working relationship.

Anyway, I just wanted to put this out there. We're not experts and have no idea what we're doing, but with the help of this forum and other people I've been in contact with, we're getting places! It's really encouraging, because I feel like every day we make a tiny bit of progress, much of it being my personal understanding of Sunny and how to interact with her so that we can both get what we want while being happy about it.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Congrats to your and your boyfriend for having the patience to teach Sunny that all men are not bad. Keep at it, and dont be discouraged 3 steps forward, 2 steps back is still progress.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Congrats to your and your boyfriend for having the patience to teach Sunny that all men are not bad. Keep at it, and dont be discouraged 3 steps forward, 2 steps back is still progress.

Yay, and hooray! Trust me, you will make it. It just takes time.

I join our fellow members above in a strong congratulations on your efforts and seeing that with time and effort so very much is possible with Parrots!

As Birdman666 has penned so very often: A one person Parrot is caused by a lack of socialization! Mid to large Parrots (in this case a MAC) are members of extended families! My add to that is: In the Natural Range of Blue & Gold's as with all MAC's. They live in family groups of the Parents, newly hatched, and brothers and sisters up and sometimes past the age of 5 years. It is natural for them to get along with all family members.

Your efforts will continue to be rewarded!
Three smiles your way: :D:D:D

OP
Sunnybirb

Sunnybirb

Dec 24, 2017
Parrots
Thanks so much to everyone who has been so supportive here! There is so much information that I've been spending a good chunk of each day reading through old posts and learning new things.

As of today, she stepped up three times for him! We're trying not to rush her, but she's been way more okay with it than I thought she would be. We ply her with lots of blueberries! I'm going to also start working on getting her "step up" to be more consistent, but she hates it when I wear clothes with sleeves, so I will probably have to get her used to that before I try to get her to step up more (since biting me when she doesn't want to is her favorite, and the rest of the time when she wants my attention I almost can't get her off my arm).

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Try a different way of the game: 'Pass the Birdie.' With the MAC on your hand or arm and standing in front of your boyfriend (face to face) have him place his arm in a rigid position to accept the weight of the MAC, with an opening between his chest and arm to easily pass the MAC between.

You, with the MAC on your hand or lower arm, lower the MAC and bring him up between your boyfriend and his arm. In this position, your MAC should be facing you. State: 'Step-Up,' while moving your arm /hand closer to his and slightly below. This will likely result in the MAC stepping on to his arm or hand.

This pass allows you to clearly see your MAC and read his Body Language! If there is a clear pull-away, do not force it, just reschedule the Step-Up!

This is my preferred method of Passing our Amazon to near anyone! The Parrot is watching you and you are watching your Parrot!

One of the Biggest Problems that near everyone makes is After the Step-Up! A Step-Up should always have a reason! The Parrot expects that there is some good reason to Step-Up for you other than your just wanting him too complete this action. So, always have something in mind for the; Okay, I did that, now what moment!

Clearly this is not a problem if the Parrot is begging to come to you. But, if you are the one Asking, Have a Next Step in Mind! Anything from verbal or treat reward (the goal is to always work toward a verbal reward) to a walk around the room (Real Estate Tour), etc...

Enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
Sunnybirb

Sunnybirb

Dec 24, 2017
Parrots
Try a different way of the game: 'Pass the Birdie.' With the MAC on your hand or arm and standing in front of your boyfriend (face to face) have him place his arm in a rigid position to accept the weight of the MAC, with an opening between his chest and arm to easily pass the MAC between.

You, with the MAC on your hand or lower arm, lower the MAC and bring him up between your boyfriend and his arm. In this position, your MAC should be facing you. State: 'Step-Up,' while moving your arm /hand closer to his and slightly below. This will likely result in the MAC stepping on to his arm or hand.

This pass allows you to clearly see your MAC and read his Body Language! If there is a clear pull-away, do not force it, just reschedule the Step-Up!

This is my preferred method of Passing our Amazon to near anyone! The Parrot is watching you and you are watching your Parrot!

One of the Biggest Problems that near everyone makes is After the Step-Up! A Step-Up should always have a reason! The Parrot expects that there is some good reason to Step-Up for you other than your just wanting him too complete this action. So, always have something in mind for the; Okay, I did that, now what moment!

Clearly this is not a problem if the Parrot is begging to come to you. But, if you are the one Asking, Have a Next Step in Mind! Anything from verbal or treat reward (the goal is to always work toward a verbal reward) to a walk around the room (Real Estate Tour), etc...

Enjoy!

This is really interesting! And it definitely makes sense. I think maybe that is why she sometimes doesn't step up for me, because she's not in the mood for just verbal praise or a treat, she wants to DO something. Maybe mixing it up will help. I also am going to try passing her back and forth for sure. Eye contact and being nearby will hopefully help her confidence with my bf, since I won't be on the other side of the room. Thanks! We'll probably give it a shot later on today.

Most Reactions