What age did your Parrot start talking

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I know all breeds are different but am just curious as to what age your parrot/s started talking.... or if you have one that decided not to talk.

My Galah didn't talk at all but had a personality that more than made up for it. My Ecky isn't there yet but it's very early days for her... however she is mimicking our dog when he whines and screamed like someone on TV the other day/

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Neither of our birds talk yet, but they're both still very young - Max is 14 months and Jade is about 8 months. However, I swear Jade told me "No" yesterday. She's trying to say things now and then.

We have friends with a Blue-throat Macaw who's a month older than Jade and he says "hello" very clearly and working a few other words that escape me at the moment.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I have a friend, whose AG is 15 years old, only started talking recently.

Mishka my AG started talking very early, at 6 months old. I am a work at home mom, she is with me practically 24/7. I spend 1 hour a day training her, still today, we continue. She is constant chatterbox, always talking and talking.

If your bird is mimicking the dog, that's a great start.....
Just keep talking and talking and talking, be patient, preserver, it takes many hours.
The rewards are absolutely wonderful.
Good luck

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Rosie started saying Hello about 11 months of age. She is better at whistling and copying noises in the environment. Her newest words are Hey Baby.

wuvzbirdies

May 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Russell Peters (R.I.P. my baby)
Russell started saying hello around 5 months old, he stuck with that for a few months then his vocab gradually grew, he's now 15 months old.

ButterflyMommy

Mar 14, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Jimmy my CAG started at 5 months from what the breeger told me, and now at 7 months he is constantly trying to say new things. He has a few sentences down, and about a thirty word vocab. We practice and talk to each other all day since I am a stay at home mom. My kids also get in on training and sing him the ABC's.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
Hugo's specie is not renouned for their talking ability but and at nearly 2 years he doesnt talk to me but when Im in the next room he talks flat out and strings sentences together. He makes the sound of the alarm when I take a weekend nap and he says "come come" to call me. I hope that he will start talking to me but Im so chuffed that he can say quite a few things.

Riley's mom

Banned
Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Holiday, Florida
Parrots
Military's, African Greys, Blue and Gold, Goffin, conures, quaker, lovebird, senegal parrot
I had to dig out the calendars for that questions. Cammie, my 7 yo CAG started talking at 8 mos, Konay, my CAG turned 1 on March 15 and started talking a week later, Charlie, my OWA started talking at 6 mos, Shay, my Severe started talking at 7 mos, Mika, my Military macaw started at 1 yo, Vicki, my B&G started at 6 mos, and Riley, my other Military was my earliest talker at 3 mos. The smaller birds varied between 6 mos and 1 year.

meddjay

May 30, 2017
This is my 4th African Grey. He is still under a year and started really talking when he was about 4 months old. I have never had one start to talk that soon. He is now ten months old and is saying all kinds of things. The best part is he is interacting with me and the words since I have always tried to get him to understand the meaning of the words as well. Example, my friend has a Chihuahua she brings over quite a bit and she can ask it "what does the little dog say" and it will respond with a woof, woof, woof. So when I started asking my parrot what kind of sound does a dog make? I made sure to sound as much like her dog as possible. So that my parrot (hopefully) will start to understand that not only is woof, woof, woof... the sound dogs make...but that animal thing that comes with my human lady to visit us is a ....dog. Maybe he just started talking early but I am hoping this will be the smartest one yet. I have gained a lot of trial and error ways of teaching and comprehension over the last couple of parrots...so hopefully this one will be as smart as Alex was. One can only hope to live up to THAT level of smartness. ;)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rb was 3 months old when I bought him and drove home with him on my shoulder. The bird store guy told me he said a few words.
About halfway home, he screeched "HELLO!" in my ear.
I drove off the road.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty started talking about 4-5 months. We used one of those repeat boxes for a few weeks but it was not needed after that, he picked stuff on his own.

StChelle

Apr 4, 2017
Louisiana
Parrots
Male Galah named Valentine; male red-sided Eclectus named Harlequin "Harley"; female red-sided Eclectus named Petra
Wow great thread! I'm a new parrot and have had my parrots for about 2 weeks now. Both are 3 months old. My Galah absolutely loves telling everyone that he is a "good boy!" Lol he has also said hello, hey baby, outside, and tries to ask "what you doin". The only thing he says consistently is "I'm a good boy" or "good boy". I am amazed he is talking this well so young.

My other bird is a male Ekkie. He jibber jabbers a lot at night but isn't talking yet. He is very shy and reserved and I am working with him to get used to us and build trust.

Most Reactions