What are some good parrot names?

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure: Kiwi

Pacific Green Rumped Parrotlet: Peeps
Hey guys, i'm undecided on what to call my new Green Cheek. Any of you have a favorite parrot name? I just might pick one of them!! Thanks!

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Most recommend naming after you have had the bird for a little while, this way you can see their characteristics and pick a suitable name. I picked 'Eddie' for my Eclectus because it is a nice name, but it also has a goofy ring to it which suits him well. I picked 'Buddy' for my tiel, because I knew she was gonna be my buddy ;) lol. For some inspiration you can google 'pet names' and also 'baby names'.

Oh and runners up for Eddie were, 'Mac' and 'Radar'

For Buddy, 'Sammy' and 'Bud'

Kinda lame names I know lol

Last edited:

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
All of our non-human family members have people names - Shelby, Luke, Gracie (dogs), Eva (cat), Max, Ruby & Jade (parrots).

I think you have to get to know them before you can really pick a name. Shelby is our level headed matriarch, Luke is the "shoot from the hip" rowdy boy, Eva is a diva, Max is really Mad Max since he's Destructo Bird but he should have been named Oscar because he's such a grouch. Jade and Ruby, well, we kind of fell into the precious gem names and they really fit. If Jade were a human, I think she's be that eclectic Bohemian with the artsy sense of style. Ruby's personality is still coming out, but I think her name fits.

Give yourself time to get to know the bird...or give it a pirate name, like Steve.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Here is where knowing the sex of the bird helps. Of course there are non-gender names too. It will come to you after living with the bird for a while. Have fun!

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
All my animals have nature names.:D Sky, River, Forest etc.

My IRN's name is Sterretjie because she came from the sky to me. But I would think that a simply and easy name would be best for a parrot so that he can learn to say his own name some day.

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
Most of my birds came with names already but the ones I've got to name have all people's names. It's very rare that I name an animal from a physical or personality trait.

OP
M

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots

What do you guys think of "Cheeks" for a name? I mean he is a Green cheeked conure. ;)
Or maybe "Sunny" I know he's not a Sun Conure but I kinda like that........

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
I'm not sure about 'Cheeks'... just saying.

'Sunny' is cute, in fact; that was a runner-up for my sweet Sunshine's name. I chose 'Sunshine' because it's less common than 'Sunny'.

I'll also echo that watching the bird's personality will help. Like, SUnshine got his name because of how he's always so happy. Pineapple, well; I didn't want to name him scaredy-cat (which suits him well), so I went with Pineapple. :D

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Take your time when choosing a name. As members mentioned observe the bird, see what character the bird has, then choose.

Go into Search type in Help with a name please?
Scroll down to the post Help with a name please?
It's an earlier post from a few months ago
Some lovely names there ;)

Last edited:
OP
M

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots

Yeah I think i'll do that. I'll also try to name him/her something that isn't based on a certain sex's name. We once had a cockatiel who's name was morice cuz we thought he was a boy but it turned out 1 year later he layed an egg so we named her Marie. lol

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
Scarlett came with her name, if I had named her I would have chosen Lucinda (so if/when I ever got a male eclectus I could call him Oscar ... not aussies may not get the reference :)). Problem with Scarlett is I would have to call a male Rhett and that is ugly.

Good advice is waiting until you know the bird well before naming him. Six months ago a snow-white kitten came meowing at our door. I looked up loads of white cat names and didn't see anything suitable ... but then I found the name Sugar which fits perfectly cause she is such a sweetie-pie!

Anyway for birds I like names like Henry, Roger, Harry ... strong traditional English male names. They seem to work for horses too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts